1209Re: 11.7 Volts from Lithium Ion Cells?

  • John Harper
    Jun 2, 2007
      Hi Steve,

      I use LiPos exclusively in my QRP rigs when operating portable. If you
      decide to use NiMH AA's instead, keep in mind that you will need more
      cells to provide a given voltage than with any other AA-from factor
      chemistry. I've compared a few battery types here:
      http://www.ae5x.com/compare%20mAh.htm

      Regarding the potential for overheating/burning in LiPo cells, most of
      the cases where this has occurred have been in R/C applications where
      the battery is supplying current at or near its peak rated output. I
      have a motor (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-uberall.htm) that
      pulls 18 amps from my the same make and model LiPo battery (2100 mAH)
      that I often use with my KX1. Its max discharge rate is 31A (50A
      intermittent) and does get warm in R/C use but when powering the KX1,
      I doubt the battery even knows it's being used.

      73,

      John Harper AE5X
      http://www.ae5x.com

      --- In AT_Sprint@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Clark <clarkmvimi@...> wrote:

      > I have been looking at Lithium Ion Cells for portable
      > use here in the islands. In the conditions here I am
      > wondering if (in my case) Nimh would be better. I am
      > thinking of life of the battery over time (number of
      > recharges and durability). I also had heard from an
      > R/C buddy of mine that the Lithium Ion cells can
      > overheat and burn? Has anyone had any experience with
      > that type of problem?

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic