The Tuckahoe 10-Mile Open Challenge

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2008
      Good Day ATR Folks,

      While I was running Sunday morning, a challenge came to me. A gauntlet
      that needs to be thrown down. So here it is, with particulars.

      The Gauntlet: The Tuckahoe 10-Mile Challenge

      During the last couple years, I found, and a number of us have
      developed, a GPS-measured 10.1-mile loop, with great singletrack,
      views, terrain, hills, and a water crossing that can be made with or
      without the scamper-log. I am issuing an open challenge to run the
      Tuckahoe Ten, with a group, or on your own, any time during 2008.
      Let's laydown a course record and have a beer-beque, pint party at the
      end of the year, for everyone who completes the challenge, with a
      special award for the person(s) who own the course record at year's
      end. Some trail runners' honor will be involved, and I would encourage
      those who haven't been to do an orientation run with someone who knows
      the ropes.

      The Course

      Recommended parking is by the lake, or at the recycled-tire
      playground. The start is Tuckahoe Valley Trail, which encompasses the
      first 4.5 miles of the course. Notable here, you need to take the
      Creekside Walk spur, which adds some scenery and distance. And you
      want to take the full TVT, not the high-water pass, which takes you
      away from the bridge.

      At the end of Tuckahoe Valley, you simply follow the trail through a
      field trail, along telephone poles, until you reach the Creekside
      Cliff Trail (one of my favorites). You take Creekside Cliff from end
      to end, taking a hard left onto Turkey Hill Trail, which takes you
      down into the bog. Most of the time, this is easily passable, with one
      water crossing, again generally shimmy-able along a large, downed
      tree, but crossable without in thigh-high water.

      Turkey Hill connects to Little Florida, which winds to Griener's
      Fishing Road. The dirt road for about 75 yards, takes you back to the
      river and Pee Wee's Trail appears to the left. Take Pee Wee's, making
      sure to take the sections of the trail with the horse circle-slash
      (Stephen Bardsley takes the horse section, which cuts the course
      short) sign, out to the road.

      Hang a right on the road and you will be completing a loop back to
      where you started. The finish line is the far side of a wooden bridge,
      next to a dam, where there is generally folks fishing.

      The trails are all well-marked, with not too many places where you
      have to make a decision. At decision points, there is adequate signage
      to keep you on track. Having said that, I am going to make a run down
      there with some eco-friendly, sustainable means of marking the course,
      with paint/flags, signs, etc.

      The Rules

      Start your watch at the beginning, stop it at the end. NO STOPPAGES
      during the run, not for bathroom, not for equipment adjustment, not
      for going off course, not for running into someone and chatting. The
      conditions are the conditions, so you get what you get. A case in
      point, today I ran the course as quickly as I can recall. But because
      I spent 10-12 minutes with stream crossings, picking the trail back up
      where it was submerged, taking pictures, and re-tying my wet shoes, my
      end of the day time was 1:47:55. Not one of my faster times, despite
      running hard. The conditions dictate your time. It's all part of the
      course.

      You've got to run the full course, then either post your time on the
      4-1 Run blog, http://the4onerun.blogspot.com, as a comment, or email
      me or post here on the group page, so I know to both include you as a
      Tuckahoe Ten Challenge finisher, and to keep track of whatever course
      record comes out of the challenge.

      Rationale/Swag

      Versus a road run, the course is a challenge. It's got just about
      everything a good trail run could ask for, and it's a reasonably
      well-kept secret here. Today, I passed a few mountain bikers, some
      trail horse riders, and dog walkers. Depending on time of year, there
      may be hunters, and there are often folks fishing. For you roadies, it
      is a chance to get your shoes muddy and run like a kid. For those
      already running trails, it's a new trail to tackle.

      Haven't decided on the swag, though we will find something cool for
      the course-record setter, perhaps chip in for shirts for all those who
      complete the challenge. And a fun, end of year party with pints of
      good beer and cheer. And the journey itself is the thing.

      Gettin' To Steppin'

      For those interested, who want to have a crack at the course with
      someone who has run it, you can holler at Mike Keene (Wittman),
      Stephen Bardsley (Stevensville), or me (Easton). I'm happy to get a
      few group runs going. And we could even think about a Fat Ass rules
      race out there, one loop, or two.

      I don't know if Jim Crowley created a Garmin map of the loop when he
      and Mike K. ran it last weekend? If not, we will be sure to get one
      and post it.

      To give some reference points for course records, I have a log-book
      note that Keene, Bardsley, and I ran our first group run for this
      course in 1:36:46. Pierre Bernasse and I ran it over the summer, in
      really dry conditions, in 1:39. Mike Keene and Jim Crowley ran the
      course last weekend in 1:41 and change. I think I would have
      challenged the record today, with different conditions. If Bardsley
      drops the hammer, I believe he'll be down around 1:30, or high 1:20's.
      I'm not sure what's gonna stick as a record this year, but I look
      forward to finding out, and to the challenge.

      So have at it, and holler if you have any questions. I have taken a
      number of photos back there, and written about Tuckahoe a few times on
      the blog if you want to scope some pictures.

      Best to all,
      Mike V.
    • Paula Carrigan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2008
        Thanks Mike!

        This sounds really awesome; a great idea.  I've been wanting to learn some trails at Tuckahoe.  this may be the start!

        PC

[...]

        More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM(R) Mail!