Re: [ATRunners] no listening devises at JFK50

  • Charlie Muskin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26, 2007
      If you do the 5am start, the fast guys from the 7am
      start will come up on you very quickly. And if you
      have your head in the music, instead of on the trail,
      you won't hear them and move over in time. So it
      truly is a safety issue.
      Charlie

    • jjaem@msn.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2007

        Claudia -- great job -- the pictures looked really cool -- was the weather as good as it looked? we had great weather in Vermont.

        Jim

        From: Claudia Ducker <claudiacai@...>
        To: ATRunners@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [ATRunners] no listening devises at JFK50
        Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

        Hi Steve,

        Yeah, it's a liability issue with the I-pod thing. But guess what: you'll find that in the first 16 miles you won't need it because you'll be so concentrating on not twisting your ankles or falling, and the following 26-27 miles you'll have company with a ton of people who are pretty much your pace and you can chit-chat with (I've met amazing people on JFK races!) and the last 8 you're just trying to finish strong and put an end to the mysery. Time will fly faster than you imagine!

        Thansk for you wishes for Lake Placid...I actually can proudly say that...I'M AN IRONWOMAN, already! My race was last Sunday. I was afraid of the fact that I needed to stay in a race for longer than  my JFK customary 10 hours, but the extra 2:44 didn't feel long at all. I made all my runner friends proud by being strong on the marathon portion, despite the fact I had already swam 1:30 and rode my bike for 6:40! If anyone is wondering, my IM didn't take as big a toll as JFK does, even if it's longer. But finishing JFK is still amazing, so I do advise everyone to race it!

        Have a great week!

        Claudia

        stephen bardsley <sbards3@yahoo. com> wrote:
        hey ron,james, claudia, and the rest of you ultra guru's, hope this
        note finds all well, and having great summers. i was just reading the
        lit. for the JFK50, and it said no personal listening devises. the
        wording seemed pretty strict. is this just a liability clause, or do
        they really enforce it that strictly for a back of the packer? im an i-
        pod junky, and will have to change training tactics if this is the
        case. thanks for any and all input, and claudia, good luck in lake
        placid! stephen bardsley

      • Claudia Ducker
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2007
          Pictures...? I didn't see them yet...yes the weather was awsome!

          From: Claudia Ducker <claudiacai@...>
          To: ATRunners@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

          Hi Steve,

[...]

        • Maureen Rohrs
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2007
            And how was your experience besides the weather.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2007
              Well....it's Lake Placid, one of the most scenic and amazing Ironmen in the world! It was MAGIC, to say the least. I was slow in the water, made up with my bike (caught up with about 1,000 people!) and smoked (relatively speaking!) the run! I was so strong on the marathon that I thought I was possessed or unconsciusly made a pact with the devil. I had imposed myself a conservative 10 minute per mile but ended up going lower without even killing myself. At the last mile and 1/2 they were playing "My Sharona" (not sure the spelling is right) and picked up a sprint and made a negative split of 7.5 minute per mile!!!

              I was lucky that I had a gorgeous weather, no flats, no injuries and no stomach problems. And mentally I was there the whole time, except at mile 73 on the bike...that's because I delayed my gel at 5 hours and 1/2 to 5 hours and 40 minutes (10 minute delay) because I was riding the fastest and most dangerous part of the course and didn't want to end up in an ambulance...well, I paied for it, I felt fatigued and freaked out about it during a long climb...but I sucked it up and got over it.

              Well, that's in short my report for one of the most fulfilling and emotional days of my life!

              Claudia

              From: Claudia Ducker <claudiacai@yahoo. com>
              To: ATRunners@yahoogrou ps.com
              Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

[...]