chemisty Fr>En

  • StephanieStrobel
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3 6:00 PM

      Hi Folks,

      In a presentation I’m translating from French into English I have:

      La teneur en sels chlorés et alcalins fluorés

      Which I could translate as :

      The content of chloride salts and fluorinated alkalines...

      Except:

      I find some mention of chlorinated salts, but more mention of chloride salts.

      I get no hits for fluorinated alkalines, but I do get hits for fluorinated alkali metals.

      Any suggestions?

      This is due tomorrow at noon.

      Thanks,

      Stephanie

    • Leonid Gornik
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3 7:10 PM
        Hi Stephanie,

        It is hard to say.
        If they are organic salts, then it could be about chlorinated and fluorinated salts (e.g.,  organic alkali metal salts that are halogenated).
        Just a thought...

        Leonid Gornik

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 7:11 PM

          Thanks.

          Stephanie

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 6:38 AM
            Hi Stephanie,
            I was away for the weekend so too late for you...
            It looks like it ought to be 'chlorinated and fluorinated alkali metal salts.' but it says 'chlorides and fluorinated alkali metal salts.' or 'chlorides and alkali metal fluorides.' (meaning any chloride but only some fluorides).
            FYI French texts often use 'alcalin' alone as a adjective to mean 'alkali metal'.
            I'd be asking the client. Hope you worked it out on time.
            Karen

            --- In ATASciTech@yahoogroups.com, "StephanieStrobel" <sds@...> wrote:

            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > In a presentation I'm translating from French into English I have:
            >

            > La teneur en sels chlorés et alcalins fluorés …
            >

            > Which I could translate as :
            >
            > The content of chloride salts and fluorinated alkalines...
            >

            > Except:
            >
            > I find some mention of chlorinated salts, but more mention of chloride
            > salts.
            >

            > I get no hits for fluorinated alkalines, but I do get hits for fluorinated
            > alkali metals.
            >

            > Any suggestions?
            >

            > This is due tomorrow at noon.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Stephanie

          • StephanieStrobel
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4 7:18 AM

              Hi Karen,

              I hope you had a nice weekend. The deadline is  noon today so thank you for your input I can still use it!  This is an archive document from 4 years ago.  Again that writer who wrote that nasty paragraphs about the equivalent percents. Every now and then a small bit of awkward chem shows up and blows a chunk of time. Enough whining. J

              Thanks again,

              Steph

            • denzel.dyer@cox.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4 9:04 AM
                Stephanie,

                > La teneur en sels chlorés et alcalins fluorés …

                French is not at all my language, but it might be:
                "The content of chloride and alkali fluoride salts".

                Denzel
              • StephanieStrobel
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4 9:13 AM

                  Thanks,

                  Stephanie

                  > La teneur en sels chlorés et alcalins fluorés …

                  French is not at all my language, but it might be:
                  "The content of chloride and alkali fluoride salts".

                  Denzel

                • dpopescu7777
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5 1:15 AM
                    I agree with Karin and my preference would be: "chlorides and
                    alkali metal fluorides".

                    Diana