Looking to expand...any suggestions

  • Cody's Rabbit Cave
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006

      Hi all...

      We are currently looking to relocate. We have found a home in Chenoa IL and are in the process of getting information regarding purchasing the property. It is zoned AGR and we have contacted McLean County Il Zoning...we will be getting a paper that states that we can have all the rabbits we want.  My question is this.....  What type, size....building do you recommend for rabbits. We would like to stay small (around 100).

      Breeds we will then have...
      Dutch
      Mini Satin
      English Lop
      Mini Rex

      I know that he Lop will need a larger cage than our others...

      What do you suggest...Any advice would be helpful

      Thank you in advance.
      Crystal Smith
      Cody's Rabbit Cave
      Bloomington, IL (for now!!)

      Black Dutch--2 babies remain!!
      White Mini Satin--2 babies remain!!

      Get these Emoticons for FREE! Click Here!
    • jtweetyone
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
        i would say get the biggest barn you can reasonably afford. you
        never hear anyone say they wish they had a smaller barn. if you only
        want around 100 cages, then only put that many in it. then you have
        the rest of the room for organizing and storing your carriers, nest
        boxes, hay, feed - whatever. (and even anything non bunny you need a
        place to store- lawnmowers and stuff).

        i suggest a monitor style barn if you can, that genreally affords the
        best for setting up cages, and the high roof in the middle will keep
        the heat above the rabbits, and if you build it with a loft for
        storage above, then it will usually keep the heat in a bit better too
        because of the added insulation that brings with it.

        my mom recently got one of these types of barns, and raises primarily
        french lops, but also has a good number of mini lops, mini rex,
        silver fox, and whatever else wanders in from time to time! she can
        comfortably fit 100 or so holes (and that is with a very nice waste
        disposal system for most of the barn.)

        the waste disposal system is another consideration. if you do a row
        of hanging cages and put a tarp underneath (she had one made
        specifically for this, so its nice and heavy duty and the perfect
        size). it tapers down to one end, and empties into a strainer to
        keep hay and heavy debris out. and the liquids and smaller waste
        goes into a septic system! how cool is that!

        if i were to build the barn i wanted, with no restrictions that is
        probably how id go to it.

        Jessica