GAO Report

  • James Ward
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2007
      I've uploaded a file "GAO Report.pdf" to the Files section of the
      website.

      The US Government Accountability Office released the report last week,
      that essentially looks at the vulnerability of the US to peak oil.

      Apparently the report does not seriously address the concept that many
      of the things we (in the rich world) have taken for granted - namely
      cheap, fast and comfortable transport of ourselves and our consumer
      goods - will simply not be possible in the post-peak oil world.

      However, the report apparently does a reasonable job of demonstrating
      how messed up the situation is - for instance, at best the US could
      replace just 4% of its oil supply with alternatives by 2015. (Australia
      is in a similar situation with the renewable fuels target of 350ML -
      roughly 1% of our fuel use.) The report also looks at the fact that the
      bulk of the remaining oil is located in countries that are not exactly
      allied with the US.

      Interestingly a Google News search for the GAO report reveals basically
      nothing in the mainstream media, despite the fact that it was publicly
      released just last Thursday - perhaps the mass media deliberately don't
      want to contribute to the notion that the next (or even the
      previous) "liberation" of a Middle Eastern country will really be for
      control of their oil...