Principal Vacancy at Mount Washington School

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2002
      Mount Washington School - named by Los Angeles Magazine as one of the
      Ten Best Schools in Los Angeles - is currently seeking a new
      principal.

      We are a 370 student K-6 school Â…with an active parent-led movement
      to expand the program to K-8. We have high test scores, great kids, a
      fabulous faculty and involved, engaged parents. We have high
      expectations of ourselves, our kids and our school. We also have high
      expectations of our new principal.

      While our students are rich in achievement, our school population is
      not affluent. Over 30% of our kids are on federally subsidized
      breakfast and/or lunch programs. We are not a "white bread school";
      our student body is as racially and ethnically diverse as it can be!
      We receive no Title I funding. Our attendance area is 100%
      residential and includes no businesses we can turn to for support.
      Because of our success we are not eligible for grant and aid programs
      that target overcrowded and troubled schools. Because our school is
      small it is on the lowest tier of the "principal pay scale."

      Test scores are not this community's barometer for success. Mount
      Washington School's success is measured in numbers of happy, safe,
      imaginative, curious children who start with us in kindergarten -
      kids who grow, are challenged and ultimately outgrow our leafy
      hilltop campus into secondary education and far beyond. These young
      people start here at Mount Washington School and travel up the path
      of lifelong learning - their success is how we measure our success.

      Mount Washington is a traditional (non-LEARN) LAUSD School on a
      traditional calendar - the district is responsible for interviewing
      and hiring our new principal. Nonetheless the Mount Washington
      community has a committed vital interest that the best applicants
      apply - and that the best of the best is ultimately selected.

      The official job posting for the Principal Vacancy at Mount
      Washington School and information on how to apply can be found at:
      http://certificated.lausd.k12.ca.us/admin_vacancies/School/MtWashingto
      nElPrn.anc.pdf

      The pay-scale/salary schedule information for the position (SCHEDULE
      40G) can be found at:
      http://certificated.lausd.k12.ca.us/research/Salary%20Tables/G%202001-
      2002.PDF

      The School's Accountability Report Card and other data can be found
      at:
      http://search.lausd.k12.ca.us/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?
      w3exec=sarc3&which=5411

      API Scores for Mount Washington School:
      http://api.cde.ca.gov/api2001base/2001Base_Sch.asp?
      SchCode=6018246&DistCode=64733&AllCds=19647336018246

      Last year the school prepared a school history and overview as
      the "boilerplate" for grant applications - but as a joint effort of
      teachers, kids, parents and the community it does a fair job of
      telling our school's story; please e-mail me if you'd like a copy of
      this 15 page document (SMFolsom@...).

      This is what we ask: If you, or somebody you know is qualified
      (currently an elementary principal or an assistant principal with two
      years experience), a "good fit" and is interested and at working hard
      at being the Principal at Mount Washington School, please call - or
      have them call - Maureen Diekmann, Local District E Director of
      School Services at (323) 932-2266.

      Information provided by Scott Folsom, past Mt. Washington PTA
      president

      Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Ccouncil has the endorsements and active
      participation of: Friends of Cypress Park Community Improvement
      Association, Mt. Washington Association, Mt. Washington Homeowners
      Alliance, Montecito Heights Improvement Association, Monterey Hills
      Federation, Hermon Neighborhood Association, Sycamore Terrace
      Residents Association, and many individuals!