Councilmember Cedillo's E-Newsletter 4.11.14

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2014

      This was quite a productive week. Faced with looming cuts by the federal government to some of our most vital community programs, Council President Wesson and I came up with a solution to fund these programs for the next three months. We will discuss their ongoing funding during the 2014-15 budget.

      As chair of the Housing Committee, I held a presentation on the Housing Crisis in Los Angeles. We heard about the daunting challenges we will face to meet the demand for affordable housing. Mayor Garcetti held his first State of the City Address, where he highlighted his vision for our great City. We held a press conference to announce $50K reward motions for two individual murders that are now believed to be linked. We celebrated a basketball tournament and a groundbreaking for a new veteran housing development in the MacArthur Park area. We also passed a resolution at LAUSD to end deportations.

      We end the week by reporting that we found the 'Zanja Madre' at the Blossom Plaza excavation site.

      Gilbert A. Cedillo

      Councilmember, District 1

      CDBG Funding Motion Passed in Council

      (Photo Credit: Yahoo)

      On Tuesday the City Council approved a motion by Councilmember Cedillo and Council President Wesson to save programs reduced by Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding. The City of Los Angeles, through the Consolidated Plan, funds many programs that provide crucial public services to residents. Among these programs are programs in the AIDS Coordinator’s Office, Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) as well as Domestic Violence Shelter operations, youth programs and community beautification services.

      Thanks to Cedillo and Wesson’s leadership, this motion will provide the funding over the next three months to keep these vital programs going without interruption of services. They are both hopeful the Mayor will fund them next year through his 2014-15 budget.

      The LA Housing Crisis

      (Photo Credit: Yahoo)

      On Wednesday, Councilmember Cedillo hosted a hearing on Los Angeles Housing Crisis. Based on a study by the California Housing Partnership Corporation, we know, there is a shortfall of 956,461 homes affordable and available to California’s lowest-income households. In Los Angeles, we are short 376, 735 units. The shocking reality is that we estimate Los Angeles has only 19 affordable units per every 100 low income tenant. More concerning is as the crisis in housing affordability grows, investment in affordable homes in California by the state and federal governments has been reduced by over $1.5 billion annually.

      From 2006-2014, on average, the HCIDLA financed 1,200 affordable housing units per year. Due to crushing budget cuts and the CRA’s dissolution, the HCIDLA can only commit to financing approximately 500 units per year in the new Housing Element (2014-2021).

      Councilman Cedillo stated “If we want to achieve our economic, social, and environmental goals, strong action is required to address the growing imbalance in the housing market and restore the ability of all Angelino’s to afford healthy homes that provide access to jobs and services.”

      The Housing Department will provide recommendations the City can adopt to encourage the building out of more affordable units in the City. A report is expected in 60 days.

      Mayor Garcetti’s State of the City Address

      (Photo Credit: Elizabeth Matthews)

      Last night Mayor Eric Garcetti held his first State of the City Address. In his first nine months, the Mayor has centered on his Back to Basics Agenda to lay the foundation for a safe, livable, prosperous and well run Los Angeles. In his address the Mayor announced no DWP hikes, the early opening of the 405 freeway, and business tax cuts.

      To watch the State of the City Address, click here.

      Arts Day LA 2014

      (Photo Credit: Fredy Ceja)

      Arts Day LA 2014 kicked off at City Hall today. This annual celebration of arts and culture in Los Angeles is sponsored by Arts for LA, a nonprofit that increases support for the arts in Los Angeles County.

      They started off the day with a reception in the City Hall Rotunda and continued with a presentation at the City Council meeting. Members of Arts Day LA then proceeded to visit individual council offices to speak of the importance of arts programming in Los Angeles.

      Coinciding with Arts Day, Controller Ron Galperin released an audit today that found $10 million collected from property developers to pay for public art projects that is languishing in the City’s Arts Development Fee Trust Fund. The Controller urged the City’s Department of Cultural Affairs to uphold the public trust by investing the money in the art for which it was intended. The full audit can be found on the Controller’s website.

      Reward Motions Press Conference with LAPD

      (Photo Credit: Fredy Ceja)

      On Tuesday, Councilmember Cedillo attended a press conference with LAPD and the families of the two victims, to announce support for two $50,000 rewards.

      On April 25, 2011, the body of Michelle Lozano (age 17) was found in a plastic storage container in Boyle Heights near the Cesar Chavez off-ramp of Interstates 5 and 10. Breeana Guzman (age 22) of Lincoln Heights set out to get some cough medicine at a Rite Aid. She never returned and her body was found January 26, 2012 in the Silver Lake area near the Riverside Drive onramp to the southbound Glendale Freeway.

      At the press conference Detectives stated that they believe the two murders are linked, but do not have substantial evidence to prove it. They are asking for the public’s help to capture those responsible for these deaths. Because there are no eyewitnesses, any information would help them resolve the murders.

      Should you have information regarding either of these cases, please contact LAPD Detective Carrillo at (213) 486-6896.

      Lincoln Heights Tutorial Program

      15th Annual Increase the Peace Basketball Tournament

      (Photo Credit: Jose A. Rodriguez)

      On Saturday over 280 people supported 21 teams of youth basketball players promoting peace at the beautiful gym at Young Nak Church. This annual event emphasizes bringing unity to our community through youth groups and organizations from the Lincoln Heights and Chinatown communities. The goal of this event is to break down the racial and geographical barriers in our communities that often exist between youth who participate in different agencies or live in different communities. The leadership of Dennis and Trinh Ortega with Lincoln Heights Tutorial Program is a great example of big things happening at small organizations.

      Congratulations to the winners.

      Novice Division:

      1st Place - Youth United for Community Action (YUCA) #2

      2nd Place - Youth United for Community Action (YUCA) #3

      3rd Place - Youth United for Community Action (YUCA) #1

      Spirit Award - LHS Magnet

      Intermediate Division:

      1st Place - First Chinese Baptist Church - HIKOI

      2nd Place - Smidt Tech High School

      3rd Place - Chinatown Service Center

      Spirit Award - Lincoln High School SGS

      Advanced Division:

      1st Place - LH Recreation Center

      2nd Place - Youth United for Community Action (YUCA)

      3rd Place - LA Boys & Girls Club

      Spirit Award - Lincoln High School Magnet

      Thank you to all the coaches, players, families, and volunteers that participated and tournament sponsors; Young Nak Church, City of Los Angeles Recreation and Parks-Downey Recreation Center, Dino's Burgers, Staples Office Store, Big 5 Sporting Goods, Hino Designs, Artistic Awards, LA Dodgers, 99 Cent Only Stores, Coca Cola, and Subway.

      Sycamore Grove Dividers

      Before (Photo Credit: Sylvia Robledo)

      After (Photo Credit: Sylvia Robledo)

      A constituent from Mt. Washington asked our office to replace the dividers on Avenue 54 and Marmion Way, many which were broken and missing. This intersection is important because it is one of the major entrances to the Mt. Washington community. Besides a large flow of car and pedestrian, the Gold line also crosses at this intersection. With the help and cooperation of the Department of Transportation (DOT) staff, the dividers were replaced. The partition is up and the corner is now safe!

      Helping to bring PEACE to the district, there is no job too big or too small for Team Cedillo!

      Skid Row Housing Trust Development: The Six Apartments

      (Photo Credit: Brooks + Scarpa Architects)

      On Thursday, CD1 joined representatives of the Skid Row Housing Trust and its partners in a groundbreaking ceremony at 811 South Carondelet Street near MacArthur Park to launch the construction of a new development called “The Six.” The six will consist of 52 units of permanent supportive housing for chronically homeless veterans and individuals. The project marks the first housing development in the Trust’s 25-year history to be built outside of Downtown Los Angeles.

      In military terms, “six” refers to either the commanding officer in a particular group, since the commander is usually "in the rear" or at the 6-o'clock position compared to the other members of the group.

      The Six will consist of 40,000 square feet with five stories:four floors of residential on top of ground level parking and beautiful community space. An array of supportive services will be provided on-site, including case management, mental health and substance abuse support. Designed by the architectural firm, Brooks + Scarpa Architects, the building will feature an eclectic design and secure Gold Certification through the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) green building program.

      The Trust assembled financing from multiple sources to pay for the $16 million project, including the California Tax Credit Allocation Committee, Century Housing Corporation, Citi Community Development, the City of Los Angeles Housing and Community Investment Department, the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles, LA County Department of Health Services, Local Initiatives Support Corporation, National Equity Fund and Wells Fargo Bank.

      CD1 applauds the Trust and all its partners for building dignified, safe and affordable housing serving our City’s most vulnerable population, chronically homeless veterans and individuals. The ribbon cutting in scheduled for Fall 2015!

      To see the renderings of the building, click here.

      Zanja Madre Uncovered

      (Photo Credit: Fredy Ceja)

      Yesterday, the construction crew at the Blossom Plaza site uncovered the Zanja Madre. The Zanja Madre (English: "Mother Ditch") is the original aqueduct that brought water to the Pueblo de Los Angeles from the Río Porciuncula (Los Angeles River). Forest City’s archaeological team has been photographing, documenting, and charting this wonderful discovery and will be preparing a report. CD1 is working with Forest City, the Office of Historic Resources, and State Parks to discuss and explore ways to ensure that this significant part of Los Angeles’ history is not lost.

      LAUSD School Board Passes Immigration Resolution

      (Photo Credit: Fredy Ceja)

      On Tuesday Councilmember Cedillo joined LAUSD Boardmember Bennett Kyser and fellow school board members at the LAUSD School board meeting for the passage of the Stop Deportations Resolution. Titled, “Keeping LAUSD Families Together,” this resolution was similar to the one Councilmember Cedillo passed in the City of Los Angeles asking President Obama to stop deportations.

      Help Protect Citrus Trees from Deadly Citrus Disease

      A deadly citrus disease, called Huanglongbing (HLB), has been detected in Hacienda Heights and agriculture officials fear HLB could soon spread throughout Southern California. The City of Los Angeles residents should be on high alert.

      While not harmful to humans or animals, HLB – which can be transmitted by an insect called the Asian citrus psyllid as it feeds on citrus leaves – causes a citrus tree to produce bitter, inedible fruit and kills the tree. There is no cure and infected trees need to be removed.

      The Citrus Pest & Disease Prevention Program offers the following tips:

      •Inspect your trees regularly for HLB.

      •Cooperate with agricultural officials. Crews may ask to access your property to look for symptoms of the disease.

      •Don’t move citrus. Los Angeles County is under quarantine, meaning citrus fruit and plants must not be removed from the area.

      •Buy local. Only purchase citrus trees from reputable, licensed nurseries.

      •Graft with care. Use only registered budwood with source documentation.

      •Protect against the psyllid. Ask your local garden center about products that can help protect your trees.

      Visit CaliforniaCitrusThreat.org for photos and report symptoms by calling (800)491-1899.

      Summer Night Lights Employment Opportunities

      (Photo Credit: SNL)

      SNL is currently accepting applications for the Youth Squad/ Lead Youth Squad position for the GRYD Summer Night Lights program.

      Summer Night Lights is a summer violence reduction strategy that focuses on implementing positive activities at recreation centers to curtail increases in violence during the summer.

      For more details on the Youth Squad position, click here.

      For more details on the Lead Youth Squad positions, click here.

      Applications can be submitted via the following methods:

      •Hard copies of the application can be obtained/ submitted at your local SNL site

      •Applications can be submitted via fax. Please fax your application to: (213) 344-4894

      •Applications can be submitted online. Click here to access the online employment application for the Youth Squad/ Lead Youth Squad position.

      Application due date is April 21, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. Applications received after the deadline will be kept on file.

      GPNC Candidate Meet and Greet

      Saturday, April 19th, 2014

      10:00 AM – 1:00 PM

      Glassell Park Community/Sr. Center

      3750 N. Verdugo Road

      Los Angeles, CA 900

      LA2050 Cypress Park/Lincoln Heights Walk

      Sunday, April 27th, 2014

      10:00 AM - 12:30 PM

      360 W Ave 26

      Los Angeles,CA90031

      Lummis Day 2014 Fundraiser Dinner

      Saturday, May 3rd, 2014

      6:30 PM - 9:30 PM

      Highland Park American Legion Hall

      227 South Avenue 55

      Los Angeles, CA 90042

      5th Annual LAAAC Aging Summit

      Thursday, May 8th, 2014

      8:30 AM - 2:30 PM

      The California Endowment

      1000 N. Alameda Street

      Los Angeles, CA 90012

      LA Heat Taste Changing Condiments

      March 13th - July 12th, 2014

      Chinese American Museum

      425 N. Los Angeles Street

      Los Angeles, CA 90012

      Sabor Latino Trade Show

      May 13-14th, 2014

      9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

      Pasadena Convention Center

      300 E. Green Street

      Pasadena, CA 91101

      Sacred Heart High School

      3rd Annual Dinner Dance

      Saturday, July 26th, 2014

      6:00 PM - 12:00 AM

      2111 Griffin Avenue

      Los Angeles, CA 90031

      CCNP FREE Tax Preparation

      Monday to Thursday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

      Closed Fridays

      Saturdays: February 8 and 22, 10:00 AM -2:00 PM

      March 8 and 22, 10:00 AM -2:00 PM

      April 5 and 12, 10:00 AM -2:00 PM

      Central City Neighborhood Partners

      501 S. Bixel Street

      Los Angeles, CA 90017

      Free Tax Preparation

      El Centro Del Pueblo Family Source Center

      1824 Sunset Blvd. (between Sunset & Lemoyne)

      Los Angeles, CA90026

      (213) 483-6335 ext. 111

      Free Artmaking Workshops

      Cypress Park Family Source Center

      Thursday, February 6th – April 17th, 2014

      3:30 PM – 4:30 PM

      929 Cypress Avenue

      Los Angeles, CA 90065