Art Opening - Classical Heads, Hermit Crabs, Artichoke, and more!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2013
      Studies of Classical Heads
      Oil Paintings by Timothy Sellers

      Opening Reception: Saturday, October 12th 7:00-10:00pm
      K York Studio at 5028 1/2 York Boulevard 90042
      [part of the NELA Second Saturday Art Walk]
      with live music:
      7:00 Roger This 8:00 The World Record 9:00 Artichoke

      Plunderers and pillagers throughout history have often been in too much of a hurry to do the job right. Instead of taking the time to properly sack and loot, to fully pulverize precious objects and raze beautiful buildings – these slackers merely burned their vanquished enemy's crops, poisoned their wells, and bashed a few noses and arms off their statues.

      As a result of this long history, our museums are full of beautiful marble figures and heads that have been assaulted but not fully destroyed. It was this abused classical aesthetic that interested Auguste Rodin when he cast bronze sculptures that lacked body parts from the start.

      I was recently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. I got an eyeful of their collections, and was particularly drawn to the Greek and Roman marble heads. Imagine – the skill of those ancient sculptors enabled them to transmute rocks into portraits! Lacking power tools, this was no small feat. A much smaller challenge was the inevitable nose-pounding, ear-whacking and head-cracking that ensued.

      Seeing high art that has been half-destroyed can be, well – kind of a bummer. But the damage is done; the sculptors are long dead. For me these heads frequently derive emotional power from what is missing. So I decided to paint them.

      Timothy Sellers
      Highland Park, CA, 2013

      Also on view until the end of October:
      Hermit Crabs by Allison Achauer

      The hermit crabs in this exhibit were photographed at night on a beach in Costa Rica. Every evening a multitude of hermit crabs scurried across the sand in all shapes colors, and sizes, each with a uniquely weathered shell for cover. Allison Achauer employed a chair and a pillowcase as a makeshift studio to photograph these individualistic crustaceans.

      Copyright © 2013 Artichoke, All rights reserved.

      Our mailing address is:
      Artichoke
      6157 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA
      Los Angeles, CA 90042