All Things HERMON. . . (7/05/13)

  • patgriffit
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6 11:39 AM
      All Things HERMON. . . (7/05/13)

      *** We've got a fun, busy week ahead of us in Hermon. Tomorrow, Saturday July 6, is our monthly "Clean Team." Meet the group at 8 a.m. by Monterey Donuts (5930 Monterey Road) where you'll see everybody by the tan truck, around a box of Lee's wonderful donuts. Then we gather our huge City bags and gloves and head out all over Hermon to clean parkways, bridges, and open spaces. Join us – it's fun!

      *** Ready for a night outside under the stars with your family and some entertainment – for FREE? Hermon Church has you covered! This Wednesday, July 10 at 8 p.m. they'll be showing "The Avengers" on a big screen at the empty lot -- two doors from the church at 5710 Monterey Road. Bring your chairs or blankets, find your spot, and enjoy. There will be popcorn and snacks for sale if you want the whole theatre experience . . .

      *** The next day, Thursday, July 11 at 7 p.m. will be our Hermon community meetings at the Fellowship Center, 5800 Monterey Road (at Wheeling Way). The evening will begin with Hermon Local Issues of the Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council. Julio Esperias Jr., Field Deputy for Councilmember Jose Huizar, will bring news and updates about our community, and a representative with So. Calif. Gas Company will be there to talk about and answer any questions about the new gas meters.

      After Local Issues, a separate general Hermon community meeting will include L.A. Police Department Sr. Lead Officer John Pedroza. He'll have a crime report as well as how to safely accommodate our new bike lanes in Hermon. It's always good to have him join us. Then we've invited Mark Legassie to show us the Hermon Emergency Plan he presented at USC (with great response) to disaster preparedness professionals from all over the southland.

      There'll be refreshments, and for the first time -- a sharing table. You can bring a few good books you've read, zucchini or tomatoes over-running your garden, fruit weighing down your trees, or succulent starters. FYI there will be an enormous yucca cutting – for YOUR garden. So bring some things, and take some things. It'll be fun.

      *** Saving the biggest for last – next Saturday, July 13, will be our huge, community-wide YARD SALE from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the same "movie" empty lot from above (5710 Monterey). Big thanks to Hermon Church for allowing us to use their property.

      This is your chance to get rid of some things that you've enjoyed but just don't use anymore. Gather those donations and bring them the day of the sale between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m., then we'll load up the 20 tables provided for us by Councilman Huizar. Stay for a pancake breakfast, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., from Chef Tony (who grew up in Hermon). The pancake breakfast with sausage is $4.50. Yum! Coffee or juice is $1. Stay and shop all the goodies – maybe even a few things you didn't even realize you needed yet . . .

      All funds will go towards creating a non-profit for the Hermon community, to help secure grants to fund projects and events here. Any additional funding will go towards refurbishing the Hermon monument sign. So just remind yourself – next weekend -- shopping is a very good thing.

      Because it's all good . . . in Hermon
      where quirky works,
      families return,
      and dogs sleep all night long.