LAPD Officers Use Beanbags to Arrest Machete Wielding Man on Marmion Way

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2012
      http://highlandpark-ca.patch.com/articles/lapd-use-beanbags-to-arrest-machete-wielding-man-on-marmion-way

      Officers are called to the scene by residents who saw the machete-wielding man walking in their neighborhood.

      By David Fonseca

      According to a status update posted on LAPD Northeast Division's Facebook page on Monday afternoon, officers used a beanbag gun to apprehend a "non-compliant" man who was carrying a machete near Marmion Way and Avenue 51.

      According to the status, "Officers took a non-compliant man with a machete in custody."

      The arrest was made at approximately 2:30 p.m.

      Northeast area also posted the following on their Twitter account: "BREAKING: 415 Man with Machete, Ave 51 / Marmion Way in Highland Park. Beanbagged, taken into custody."

      One neighborhood resident reported seeing the suspect before he was taken into custody.

      "I was wondering why someone on my block, Avenue 51 and Figueroa, was carrying a big blade and doing nothing bout it," Michael Angel Acuna said. "I was gonna call 911, but i saw a helicopter and then heard cops, so I thought it was handled."

      Update

      Police reported that the man who was arrested had allegedly stolen a bicycle.