Housing needed asap!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2002
      Dear Friends in Northeast Los Angeles,

      I am a resident of Montecito Heights and the Housing Coordinator for
      Keck School of Medicine (just 3 or 4 miles down the hill where
      Griffin becomes Zonal Avenue) We are in desperate need of housing
      (rentals of houses, apartments, or rooms) for visiting fourth year
      medical students from this country, as well as international students.

      I just had a fourth year student in my office a minute ago who is
      visiting from Forth Worth, Texas, doing a clinical rotation in
      Pediatrics. He thought he had found a room through an advertisement
      he found on the internet, but when he got to the apartment in
      Hollywood, it was very dirty and run-down, so now he is staying in a
      motel! I would like him to think we Angelenos are more hospitable
      than that! I would appreciate any help you can give us to meet the
      housing needs of these students.

      So, if you have--or know of--any available housing opportunities,
      please reply via email. I've found these medical students to be
      wonderful, but currently my house is FULL (I have 4 staying with me
      right now, and am booked through December 22nd); they are the best
      tenants in the world (they are in class of studying 22 hours a day!)
      and can always be contacted through me, I have extensive information
      on every student and can explain to you what a rigorous and extensive
      application process these college graduates have been through in
      order to become students of medicine (i.e., they will be M.D.'s in
      about 8 months).

      If you are curious about rates, I would suggest $140/week with shared
      bath, or $160 a week with private bath. Lots of variables can also
      influence the cost.

      Thank you and take care,
      Rena Thorstensen
      Student Affairs Advisor