Dodgers at Montecito Park

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2002
      Tonight Dodgers officials announced that they will be refurbishing a
      baseball field (Center Field) at Montecito Park. Here are the details
      from the meeting, generously supplied to me by Marilyn Sanchez:

      Dodgers Dream Fields officials stated that they plan to break ground
      on Center Field at Montecito Park in November. The field will emulate
      Dodger Field at Dodger Stadium, and work should be completed by
      February or March of next year. It will include Dodger-style covered
      dugouts and new bleachers. The old bleachers will be recycled to
      another baseball field at the park. The Dodgers have planned to
      create an 8' fence around the perimeter of field that they are
      refurbishing. The diamond will be moved closer to the Recreation
      Center in order to increase the size of the playing field. Center
      field will be 248 feet, and will be rounded to reflect the shape of
      Dodger Stadium field. Dodgers officials may install new light
      fixtures. New grass turf will be installed on the infield, new dirt
      on the running area, and more grass turf in the outfield. A portable
      pitcher's mound was proposed in order to accommodate softball
      pitchers as well as baseball pitchers, since softball pitchers stand
      closer to homeplate than do baseball pitchers. Park officials and the
      Dodgers are discussing renovating the existing water fountains or
      placing new water fountains near each dugout.

      The Dodgers selected Montecito Park because the community uses the
      park, we enjoy our park, and it was clear to them that renovations
      could go a long way here, that their work would be of great value to
      us because our community members have such a vigorous appreciation
      for sports and for our park and Recreation Center. The Dodgers also
      wanted to reward our community for having a thriving sports program
      at the Recreation Center. The program was very important to them.
      Ours was the 12th and final park the Dodgers reviewed, and they said
      it stood way out from all the others due to the factors listed above.

      What a treat to be selected for this honor. The Dodgers plan to do a
      lot of work for our community park - and it's going to be gorgeous!

      Go Dodgers!

      Marilyn Sanchez and Donnette Thayer