The Week Ahead
Get a spectacular start on the holidays.
By Ajay Singh
Thanksgiving officially rang in the holiday season. So why not add to the holiday cheer by taking advantage of these upcoming events in Eagle Rock, Monday, Nov. 29 through Sunday, Dec. 5:
* Start out with a strong dose of theatrics. The Theater Department at Occidental College is staging the noted play Laura Dennis, by playright Horton Foote. This is the rich melodrama in which characters ask such questions as, "How old is your mama?" and "Did you father ever dance?" Set in 1938 in the small town of Harrison, Texas, where not minding one's business is de rigueur, Laura Dennis is a tragicomedy that revolves around three flawed families whose members have trouble bonding even though they do crave each other's love. Foote's "abiding theme of isolation as a universal life sentence has never been more baldly stated," wrote the New York Times in a 1995 review, adding: "Whereas in most of the author's plays, life-changing events are ingeniously camouflaged by everyday details, here they come marching out on showy parade.
Directed by John Bouchard, Laura Dennis will be staged at Oxy's Keck Theater on Dec. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Performances Dec. 1 through Dec. 4 are scheduled at 7:30 p.m., and the Dec. 5 performance at 2 p.m.
* Making Los Angeles more livable maybe a perennial theme but it's not every day that you get to hear a discussion among people really in the know. On Tuesday, Dec. 1, the new planning director of the City of Los Angeles, Michael LoGrande and Los Angeles Times architecture critic Christopher Hawthorne will have a discussion about how to make our city a better place. Venue: Occidental College, Johnson Hall, Room 200. Questions? Email Amanda Shaffer at shaffer@....
* The Festival of Trees is one of Eagle Rock's most colorful annual events. Organized by the Women's Twentieth Century Club of Eagle Rock, the Dec. 4 event features 20 trees decorated by community organizations and individuals. Tickets must be purchased in advanceat $30 per head, they include admission as well as hors d'oeuvres. Your ticket(s) will be held for you at the event if you send a check payable to "WTCC" at P.O. Box 412218, Los Angeles, CA 90041 (write "Attn: Festival of Trees" at the bottom of the check). Cocktail attire required. Questions? Call Holly Nieto at 323-259-2598 or email hnieto@....
* We Go Rock, Eagle Rock's Friday Fest, is Eagle Rock's weekly neighborhood and business festival. If you're one of the few Eagle Rockers who don't know about this fun-filled festival, be warned that it's an entire day of entertainment, music, prizes, discounts and promotions from Eagle Rock entrepreneurs, held on Friday, Dec. 3 at the Farmers Market on 2100 Merton Ave. Come for brunch, lunch, tea or dinnerand find out what a range of local businesses as well as nonprofit organizations have in store for the community during the holiday season. Time: 11 a.m.9 p.m.
* Three Eagle Rock businesses located on Eagle Rock BoulevardREAD Books, Toros Pottery, and the boutique Ladyare holding the 4th Annual Holiday Sale and Block Party on Saturday, Dec. 4, from 3 p.m. through 9 p.m. Come and hear live jazz played by The Eastside Organ Trio, featuring Yvonne Butler, and feast on goodies provided by the Lomo Arigato Food Truck, which will be stationed nearby from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Jazz will begin at 7 p.m. and end at 10 p.m. There's 10 percent off on all books. Venue: READ Books, 4972 Eagle Rock Blvd. Phone: 323-259-9068.
* Get an early start on the Christmas spirit by joining members of the Solheim Lutheran Home at their "Spirit of Giving Christmas Boutique" on Saturday, Dec. 4, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Come as a patron or a vendor. Beat the Christmas crowds by taking your photo with Santa (between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.) You can buy most or all of your holiday gifts at the event. Venue: Solheim Lutheran Home, 2236 Merton Avenue. Questions? Call Tina Antypas at 323-257-7518 or email with any questions, or to become a vendor!
* Craving some choral music? The Occidental College Chorus and the Occidental Glee Club present their holiday concert on campus in Herrick Chapel on Sunday, Dec. 5 at 3:30 p.m. The event is open to all. Venue: Occidental College, 1600 Campus Rd. Questions? Email Irene Girton at igirton@....
Women's Twentieth Century Club of Eagle Rock
5105 Hermosa Ave, Los Angeles, CA
Solheim Lutheran Home
2100 Merton Ave, Los Angeles, CA
1600 Campus Rd, Los Angeles, CA
4972 Eagle Rock Blvd, Los Angeles, CA