Correction from the Northeast Wellness Center - thx to the MW Assoc.

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2009
      The Northeast Wellness Center staff is very grateful to the Mt. Washington Association for bestowing twenty $25.00 food certificates. "This is wonderful," says Mary Gonzales-Veleta, a social worker and case manager at the Wellness Center. "We'll be able to give so many more holiday baskets to needy families."

      On August 12, 2009, at 5564 N. Figueroa St., Northeast Wellness Center opened the doors to its new facility. The center is an off shoot of the Northeast Mental Health Clinic on Via Marisol. Its mission is to support whole-person health. Clients who have had mental health challenges are aided in re-building their lives through school, employment, meaningful relationships, and resurrected life goals. Individual assistance and various support groups help clients connect to themselves and others in healthy ways.

      Both the Wellness Center and Northeast Mental Health Clinic have benefited from the generosity of the Mt. Washington Association. "Last year, people from the Association came with boxes and bags of food! Our whole kitchen was full of food," says Mary. And with food certificates, seventeen healthy meals with turkey and all the trimmings were given to needy families. All the canned goods from the Association have been given to hungry people. "Too often, people would come in to see their doctor and report that they had no food. We were able to take people into the kitchen and give them canned goods."

      All the staff at the clinic and the Wellness Center wishes to thank the Mt. Washington Assoc. members most heartily. Their gifts of certificates and food provide much good for many people. And this year, the Wellness Center will be able to give even more.