31931PTA eHowl Newsletter Week of August 18 – 22, 2014

    Aug 17, 2014

      http://mwpta.org/pta-ehowl-newsletter-week-august-18-22-2014/

       Welcome MWPTA members

      To everyone who joined the PTA this week: welcome.  And thank you.  We kick off our membership contest this week. The first three classrooms to reach 100% PTA membership will receive a party.  We're handing out coupons for a free scoop of Baskin Robbins ice cream to the first 200 members who join and they’re going fast, so hurry!

      Look in your child's backpack this week for a membership envelope. Return it with your child’s name and room number, your name, email, address, phone number and $6 fee per member to the office, or give it to your child’s teacher.  We'll get a membership card to you.

      Back to School Night Classroom Visits for Kindergarten and 2nd Grade Postponed

       Due to reorganization in Kindergarten and 2nd grade, Back to School Night classroom visits will be postponed for these 2 grade levels.  Please watch for a new date in the upcoming weeks. Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter. We invite you to attend the general meeting part of Back to School Night on Tuesday, Aug. 26th from 5:30pm-6:00pm in the MPR.  We will provide you with important information regarding the coming school year. Your attendance is appreciated for this school wide assembly.

      For all other grades Back to School Night will remain on Tuesday, Aug. 26th from 5:30 till 7:00pm.  All students will be dismissed at 12:50pm that day. Back to School Night is for parents only, please make child care arrangements for your child, as there will not be any provided by the school or the PTA.

                  G. Gravino

      1st PTA General Association Meeting, Aug. 27th at 8:30am

      Save the Date for our PTA General Association Meeting Wednesday August 27th at 8:30 a.m. in the Library. We will present a program on the Second Step Campaign. Child care will be provided. *Please note the calendar change*

       Volunteer Opportunities

      Mt. Washington Elementary PTA is always welcoming help at our fund raising events, on our committees, becoming a Room Representative, working in the Wolves Den (aka Snack Shack), selling MWPTA merchandise and in the mornings in the Parent Center doing projects for our teachers. Let us know how you can help and if you have ideas or special talents you’d like to bring to the school.  We will accommodate and be grateful for any amount of time, energy or resources you are able to give.

      Please click here to sign up to volunteer.

      For more information regarding volunteer opportunities please contact Anahata Chao at volunteers@... or visit our website www.mwpta.org.

      Thank you for your support!

      MWE Chess Club

      The MWE Chess Club is one of the most popular, well-attended after school programs. The   Jacksons, who so expertly hosted the club, are no longer MWE parents. We need help to keep the club going!  Chess Club occurs Every Friday from 2:30-3:30PM  in the Lunch Pavilion,  Beginning October 3rd.

      We are in need of:

                   A Chess Club Leader - a parent knowledgeable and passionate about Chess who can serve as the main host and leader of the club every Friday at 2:30.

                   Club Assistants - 3 parents each week who can help chaperon, guide and assist student players during club time (this can alternate - you can sign up for one or more weeks)

                   Snack Elves - parents who can purchase and bring snacks each week to the club. Snacks are paid for by the PTA. We just need folks to help get the snacks there (this can alternate - you can sign up for one or for multiple weeks.)

      Come find out how you can get involved in supporting the Chess Club and how to keep alive!:  Chess Club Volunteer Meetings:   Friday August 19th and Friday October 3rd at 2:30 PM in the Parent Center.  For more information, contact Cherylynn Hoff at cherylynnsara@...

      Safety Valet Needs You!!!

      The school’s Safety Valet program operates in the mornings at drop off to help kids get out of their parents’ car safely and to keep traffic moving in front of the school. Safety Valet is made up of volunteer parents, and unfortunately,many of our volunteers from last year are no longer at our school. To keep this vital program going, we desperately need parent volunteers. Our volunteer needs are:

                   Monday – we currently don’t have any; we need4 parents.

                   Tuesday – we have 4 parents; we are all set.

                   Wednesday – we have 2; we need 2 more parents

                   Thursday - we have 3; we need 1 more parent

                   Friday - we currently don’t have any so we need 4 parents.

      You can commit to one day a week, multiple days a week or be on a rotation schedule for once or twice a month. It is a 45 minute commitment from 7:30am to 8:15am. Please contact Jamilah Haygood at jamilah@... if you are able to help out.  Thank you in advance for helping to keep this vital program going.

      Parking Signs Around the School

      The area across the street from the Safety Valet Zone is now a no parking zone. The hours for the no parking zone in front of the school are from 7am-5pm on school days. Please follow the rules to keep traffic moving, provide visibility and to keep our children safe.

      Volunteers Needed for the Wolves Den

      Parent volunteers and their children are needed to help with staffing the Wolves Den after school on campus once a week (Monday through Friday) from 2:20 to 3:10pm in 3 month increments. This is a weekly commitment and no experience is necessary and training is given to volunteers. Duties include collecting money, serving snacks and restocking. This is a fundraiser for the school through out the year. If you have any questions please contact VP of Volunteers, Anahata Chao at volunteers@... or Ways & Means Assistant, Nancy De Leon Meeker at waysandmeans1@....

      Note: Please be aware that a parent has to be present in the Wolves Den at all times! This is really a lot of fun and great bonding time with your kids and we try to keep it simple and easy.  Please clink here sign-up to choose your day.

      Thanks for your help!

      MWE Merchandise

      Remaining inventory will be on sale on Monday mornings.  Additional inventory will be available at the Pancake Breakfast on September 13th.

      Save the Date: Saturday September 13th, from 9:00am - 1:00pm

      Join us for our 29th Annual Pancake Breakfast and 1st annual Mt. Washington Made (MWM) craft fair.

      We are looking for Volunteers for this event, please click here to sign up.

      Holiday Trees for Pre-Sale!

       The MWPTA has established a relationship with a holiday tree grower, who has agreed to sell us Grade One Noble Fir Trees at wholesale!  We are pre-selling these high quality holiday trees, all proceeds of which will go to the MWPTA Direct Appeal Campaign. We are offering two sizes: 6-7 foot trees at $80 ($47 of which will go to the MWPTA; standard retail $99), 7-8 foot trees at $100 ($60 of which will go to the MWPTA; standard retail $120). Trees will be available for pickup on Saturday, December 6th at Mt.Washington Elementary School. A purchase you may otherwise make elsewhere will, with your participation in this fundraiser, profit your community school!

      Only a limited number of these quality trees are available! ORDER NOW! Click here to order.

      Produce Collective

      Attention new and returning Mt. Washington Produce Collective subscribers… the produce box is back for pick up this Thursday between 2:30-6 p.m.!!!!  If you are new to the school, please go to www.eroots.org to sign up, for either weekly or bi-monthly delivery. Each box is $25 worth of local pesticide free produce, with $3 from each box staying with the school to fund our gardening, campus beautification and sustainability projects. If you have any questions or for more info please email produce@... or program coordinator nicolethomas101@... directly. This is a subscription only pick up program, but we will have extra boxes to sell the first few weeks. Look for us outside the parent center every Thursday afternoon and check out the amazing fruit and vegetables local farmers pick weekly, with our health and happiness in mind.

      Copyright © 2014 Mount Washington Elementary PTA, All rights reserved.

      Our mailing address is:

      Mount Washington Elementary PTA

      3981 San Rafael Avenue

      Los Angeles, CA 90065