31914Live Music Saturday & Nature Chat Sunday at The Frog Spot

    Aug 14, 2014

      The Frog Spot: Your LA River Hangout

      The Frog Spot, FoLAR's Los Angeles River oasis, has become a real summertime SCENE receiving over 500 visitors per weekend!  Stop in our pop-up visitor center on the LA River Bike Path and cross-pollinate with river folks of all sorts: activists, scientists, artists, bicyclists and longtime river residents.  Catch up on the latest river news or just play bean bag toss and relax.  We're open 8AM-4PM on Saturdays and Sundays.  Find us in Elysian Valley at 2825 Benedict Street, LA 90039 near Newell Street.

      Photo by William Preston Bowling

      On Saturday nights from 5-8PM, The Frog Spot hosts a weekly fundraiser for Friends of the Los Angeles River entitled, SUNSET AT THE OASIS.  A $15 minimum donation to FoLAR offers a unique experience of live music in our open-air lounge with light snacks and your choice of beer, wine or soft drinks.  All ages are welcome.

      PERFORMING SATURDAY, AUGUST 16:

      Swamp Cousins

      Local rock trio

      Los Angeles band, Swamp Cousins, delivers upbeat rock guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Check out their sound.

      L. A. River Swim Team

      Surf Punk Rock

      L. A. River Swim Team is a group of three friends whose affinity for punk rock, melodic reggae, psychedelic rock and hip-hop propels their wildly energetic performances.  They dub their sound an "environmental punk movement".

      Lewis MacAdams, Host of Sunset at the Oasis

      FoLAR Co-Founder & President

      Lewis MacAdams is a poet, journalist, and filmmaker who envisioned FoLAR as a "forty-year artwork" to bring the Los Angeles River back to life.  He feels his work will be done when the Steelhead Trout run returns to the River.

      Photo by William Preston Bowling

      Sunday Afternoon Chat with Aaron Thomas of North East Trees

      2PM Free

      As a staff member at North East Trees for the past 20 years, Aaron worked on some of the early Los Angeles River improvement projects including the planting of thousands of native trees, the creation of pocket parks, and the removal of invasive plant species from the river.  Aaron will visit The Frog Spot to recount the efforts of community volunteers over the years, including local youth, to carry out these projects and to rise to the challenge of renewing our urban river.

      2825 Benedict Street

      LA 90039

      323 351-8677

      www.thefrogspot.org