31895My Atlas: Lynell George & The Savage Eye

    Aug 11, 2014

      My Atlas: Lynell George & The Savage Eye

      Thursday August 14th

      Doors at 7:00 pm

      Reading at 7:30pm

      Film at 8:30pm

      Clockshop Courtyard

      2806 Clearwater Street,

      LA, CA 90039

      $10 ticket price, $7 for students with ID ---> PURCHASE TICKETS

      Lynell George will speak about wandering in one's hometown, and how to formulate a sense of place in a city that perpetually remakes itself. Lynell’s talk will be followed by a screening of the film The Savage Eye by Ben Maddow.

      Lynell George is a Los Angeles-based journalist and essayist. She has worked as a staff writer at the Los Angeles Times and L.A. Weekly, covering social issues, art, human behavior, and identity politics, and is currently an arts and culture columnist for KCET’s Artbound. George's writing has appeared in various magazines and news outlets, including Boom, Slake, Vibe,Washington Post, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Essence, Black Clock, The Root, Ms., and many others, and she is the author of No Crystal Stair: African Americans in the City of Angels(Verso, 1992), a collection of essays drawn from her reporting. She is currently a Los Angeles Institute for the Humanities Fellow at University of Southern California.

      The Savage Eye (1959) is a film anomaly—part vérité docu-essay and part 1950s melodrama—set in Los Angeles. The film, widely celebrated but infrequently screened, follows a forlorn woman waiting out her one-year California residency requirement to finalize her divorce. Featuring stunning photography by Haskell Wexler, Helen Levitt, and Jack Couffer, and directed by Ben Maddow, Sidney Meyers and Joseph Strick, The Savage Eye was shot on weekends by Hollywood veterans over several years. As the main character contemplates her impending divorce in an internal conversation with her (male) conscience, she conducts a grimy tour of the city, represented in footage of beauty parlors, dance studios, burlesque clubs, and wrestling matches.

      My Atlas is a summer event series that pairs films with live travelogues to explore the varied experiences of women travelers. Women take to the road for reasons of escape and pleasure, ambition and aimlessness, privileged choice and coercion. Feature films by male and female directors, spanning sixty years of cinema history, will focus on atypical representations of the female traveler in narrative cinema—as divorcees, drug mules, exiles, and drifters. Each film screening will be preceded by a speaker who will recount a specific travel story and/or discuss travel as a mode of self-understanding. My Atlas is co-curated by Sasha Archibald, Julia Meltzer and Courtney Stephens.

      LAST WEEK/SERIES CLOSER Friday August 22nd: writer Vanessa Veselka and the film Vagabond.

      CHECK OUT our latest interview with writer Andrea Richards.

      *Bar lovingly provided by elysian.

      **Please note this is an outdoor screening.

      ***Times approximate.

      Copyright © 2014 Clockshop, All rights reserved.

      Our mailing address is:

      Clockshop

      2806 Clearwater Street

      Los Angeles, CA 90039