31765My Atlas: Natasha Singh & Maria Full of Grace

    Jul 21, 2014

       http://tinyurl.com/p24z3tp

      Thursday July 24th

      Doors at 7:00 pm

      Reading at 7:30pm

      Film at 8:30pm

      Clockshop Courtyard

      2806 Clearwater Street,

      LA, CA 90039

      $10 ticket price, $7 for students with ID ---> PURCHASE TICKETS

      Natasha Singh will discuss her journey into India's red light districts, her conversations with trafficked women, and the police corruption that led to her deportation. She will be followed by a screening of the film Maria Full of Grace by Joshua Marston.

      Natasha Singh is a writer, activist, and teacher, Canadian-born of Indian descent. Her interest in understanding gender violence in India led her to investigate in person, and she has since become an outspoken advocate for women and girls caught in the cycle of sexual exploitation. Singh is a two-time winner of the Canada Council for the Arts Award for her literary work, and her writing has appeared in theNew York Times, South Asian Review, Threepenny Review, Crab Orchard Review, and a number of feminist journals and anthologies. In 2003, she co-founded Diasporadics, New York City's first South Asian arts and activism festival.

      In Joshua Marston's 2004 Maria Full of Grace, a Colombian teenager turns to the drug trade for work, learning the tricks of a drug mule to transport heroin into the US. When her first trip, from Bogotá to New Jersey, ends in grisly tragedy, she flees to New York, fearful of her life. The film won Marston an Independent Spirit Award for Best First Screenplay, and lead actress Catalina Sandino Moreno was named Best Actress by the Berlin Film Festival and nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award.

      My Atlas is a summer event series that pairs films with live travelogues to explore the varied experiences of women travelers. Women take to the road for reasons of escape and pleasure, ambition and aimlessness, privileged choice and coercion. Feature films by male and female directors, spanning sixty years of cinema history, will focus on atypical representations of the female traveler in narrative cinema—as divorcees, drug mules, exiles, and drifters. Each film screening will be preceded by a speaker who will recount a specific travel story and/or discuss travel as a mode of self-understanding. My Atlas is co-curated by Sasha Archibald, Julia Meltzer and Courtney Stephens.

      NEXT WEEK July 31st: writer Andrea Richards and the film Thelma & Louise.

      CHECK OUT our interview with writer Tisa Bryant here.

      *Bar lovingly provided by elysian.

      **Please note this is an outdoor screening.

      ***Times approximate.

      Copyright © 2014 Clockshop, All rights reserved.

      Our mailing address is:

      Clockshop

      2806 Clearwater Street

      Los Angeles, CA 90039