31093at deb3321 exhibition LEWIS MAUK - LITHOGRAPHS, SILK SCREENS & OTHER CULTURAL ARTIFACTS

    Apr 12 4:28 PM

      Opening 6:30 pm Saturday, April 19, 2014 through May 18, 2014

      deb3321 is pleased to present Lewis Mauk,

      Lithographs, Silk Screens and Other Cultural Artifacts

      The single images of Lewis Mauk, through his keen exquisite observation and expression, the common day object becomes heightened fact, undeniably present, an eternal moment. Some images are overlayed with rose thorns, wishbones, fortunes, horoscopes creating a multiplicity of meaning, a poetry; an exposure of the inner, subconscious darkness of the artist's self by the artist’s own insistent light to realize an uneasy and intelligent beauty.

      “I mine the personal for ideas. My practice is the cartography of the psyche. My subject matter is both index and evidence of obsessive compulsive behavior, prescriptive and self medicating and the matriarchal influences in my life. I use my work to search for answers and catharsis.”

      Lewis Mauk is a Los Angeles based artist whose work includes: printmaking, photography and sculpture. Lewis received his BFA in 1997 from the University of Tennessee and his MFA from Cal-Arts in 2000. Lewis has taught both photography and printmaking in schools throughout the Los Angeles area including California Institute of the Arts, Otis College of Art and Design and Chapman University. Lewis exhibits in Los Angeles and is a member of the Elysian Valley Arts Collective.

      More images at Lewis’ site: www.lewismauk.com

       deb3321

      3321 Pasadena Avenue

      Los Angeles, CA  90031