30046Councilmember Cedillo's E-Newsletter 11.1.13

    Nov 2, 2013

      Date: Nov 1, 2013 5:14 PM

      GREETING FROM COUNCILMEMBER GIL CEDILLO

      I am happy to be back home. I was traveling on behalf of CD1 and Los Angeles this week, advocating for funding for the LA River in Washington DC. We held numerous community events throughout the district in honor of Halloween and have pictures to prove it. CD1 field staff visited the North Central Animal Shelter in Lincoln Heights to meet and greet with staff and all the furry animals, we remind to please adopt from your local pet shelter! We also cleared a narrow road in Mt. Washington that had been cluttered by erosion.

      Our ‘Keep It Clean’ Campaign made front page of the Los Angeles Times, as promised, we are making CD One #1!

      LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

      Washington DC Trip

      (Photo Credit: FOLAR)

      Councilmember Cedillo flew to Washington DC with a Los Angeles delegation with one purpose in mind: fund Alternative 20 for the LA River Revitalization efforts. The three-day trip included meetings with President Obama, U.S. Department personnel, and U.S. Congressional members. For the first time ever, the united front presented a convincing and effective argument in favor of the most inclusive revitalization option for the LA River.  Here is a small recap of the itinerary.

      Sunday, October 27th, 2013

      City of LA River Team Meeting

      Monday, October 28th, 2013

      Team Meeting

      Staff of U.S. Representative Xavier Becerra

      White House Meeting

      U.S. Senator Diane Feinstein

      White House Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ)

      City of LA River Team Meeting

      Tuesday, October 29th, 2013

      Team Meeting

      LA River Day on Capitol Hill

      U.S. Representative Lucille Roybal-Allard

      U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer

      U.S. Representative Bill Shuster

      LA Delegation

      Councilmember Gil Cedillo

      Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell

      Councilmember Bob Blumenfield

      Assemblymember Jimmy Gomez

      LA Mayor Garcetti Deputy Chief of Staff Rick Jacobs

      LA Mayor Garcetti Deputy Director, External Affairs, Cecilia Cabello

      LA Public Works Commissioner Barbara Romero

      LA City Engineer Gary Lee Moore

      LA Chief Deputy City Engineer Deborah Weintraub

      LA County Department of Public Works, Terri Grant

      Friends of the LA River

      LA River Revitalization Corporation

      The Carmen Group

      FIELD UPDATE

      CD1 Field Staff Visit North Central Animal Shelter

      (Photo Credit: Fredy Ceja)

      On Wednesday October 30, our field staff paid a visit to the NorthCentral Animal Shelter to meet with staff and get acquainted with theservices they offer.

      The Los Angeles North Central Animal Shelter is located in the CypressPark neighborhood in Council District 1 (3201 Lacy Street, LosAngeles, California 90031). The center offers adoption services, spay

      and neutering, licensing, animal filming permits, as well as reportinganimal cruelty or wildlife.

      If you’re looking to give a pet for the holidays please stop by andadopt one of these wonderful animals in need of homes.

      North Central Animal Shelter

      3201 Lacy Street

      Los Angeles, California 90031

      (213) 485-5767

      www.laanimalservices.org

      Mt. Washington: Problem Solved

      BEFORE

      AFTER

      (Photo Credit: Bureau of Sanitation)

      For many years, several streets in Mount Washington have built up dirt from hill erosion, which creates safety issues and blocks passage ways.  Quail Drive and Dove Drive are among the many streets in Mt. Washington considered ‘Red Flag’ streets. They are small in width and narrower because of encroaching dirt buildup from the eroding hills.

      A long-time resident of Mt. Washington contacted Team Cedillo about the ongoing issue. With the assistance of the Bureau of Sanitation, the streets were cleared and the problem solved days later. There is no issue too big or too small for Team Cedillo. We are moving mountains, and piles of dirt.

      For constituent services, please contact Mel Ilomin at Mel.Ilomin@... or (323)550-1538.

      Montecito Heights: Gate Closed

      (Photo Credit: Sylvia Robledo)

      Danny Duarte and his neighbors on Homer Street and Mosher Street noticed the gates at the Montecito Heights Recreation Center were constantly left open at night. He and his neighbors eventually began to notice drug activity and people going in and out at odd hours in the evening and leaving before sunrise.  They took it upon themselves to personally close and lock the gate at 11:00PM every night to protect the park from unwanted activity. They contacted CD1 Representative Sylvia Robledo for help. With the assistance of Carl Cooper from the Recreation and Parks Department and the LAPD, the locks were welded on to the gate and the LAPD staff committed to closing the gate every evening before 10:30PM. The neighbors and the park users are now relieved that the Montecito Heights Park will continue to be a safe place for children and their families.

      Montecito Heights Holds Chili Cook Off

      (Photo Credit: Sylvia Robledo)

      For the first time ever Montecito Heights held ‘The Great Chili Cook Off.’  The main purpose of the chili cook off was for neighbors to get to know one another. The Montecito Heights Improvement Association (MHIA) hosted the event. The party was hosted at the home of Annie Rushton with board member, Rose Aleman, helping to manage the arrangements and refreshments.

      Each paying customer was given three beans for the competition and voted for the best tasting chili. The non-traditional entries swept the contest and won 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize. We thank these bold residents for the delicious recipes and entries. Congratulations to the winners.

      1st PrizeAnnie Madison (Vegan Three Bean Delight)

      2nd PrizeJacquie Draeger (Wild Caught Salmon Chili)

      3rd PrizeM.J. Zorick (Pepitas with Pumpkin Chili)

      Halloween Events Throughout CD1

      (Photo Credit: Jose Rodriguez)

      GLASSELL PARK--While ghost and goblins were sleeping in other parts of the City of Los Angeles, the friendliest and scariest place to be this Wednesday was at the Glassell Park Senior and Community Center. This place was filled with over 100 villains, superheroes, vampires, witches, and pirates, all of whom were 50 and over. They enjoyed music, dancing, games, and food. Special thanks goes to the Glassell Park Seniors Club, Irma Beserra Nunez-LAUSD Older Adult Instructor, and Recreation and Parks staff for making this a fabulous event. My staff, Jose Rodriguez attended and has already marked his calendar to come back next year.

      (Photo Credit: Sharon Lowe)

      CHINATOWN--Castelar Elementary celebrated Halloween with style. Children from the elementary showed up to school dressed to the nines.

      (Photo Credit: Sharon Lowe)

      Chinatown BID’s Successful Halloween Dim Sum Crawl--100 Angelino monsters, ghouls, along with Little Red Riding Hood, Mary Poppins, Grandma and the Three Wise Men had a terrifyingly horrific time. They crawled through Chinatown’s streets sampling a cross-section of Chinatown’s “Dishes of Horror”. Monsters and ghouls alike had Los Angeles’ best refreshments matched with nightmarish bites from Starry Kitchen, Chegos, Hop Woo and Golden Dragon Restaurants. The event was a huge success.

      (Photo Credit: Melinda Alatorre)

      HIGHLAND PARK--On Tuesday, the North Figueroa Association had an early Halloween celebration at the Highland Park Farmer's Market. Witches, clowns, princesses, and ghouls filled Marmion Way as children came prepared in their best Halloween digs. They were able to get a head start on their trick or treating as the vendor booths at the Farmer's Market handed out candy. The children loved the live entertainment and were later presented with a Halloween cupcake for participating in the costume contest. We are proud to have sponsored this event for the 1st District.

      (Photo Credit: Sylvia Robledo)

      MONTECITO HEIGHTS--the Motecito Heights Recreation Center held an annual costume party.

      (Photo Credit: Sylvia Robledo)

      SYCAMORE GROVE--celebrated Halloween at Ramona Hall, including bobbing for eyeballs.

      NEWS UPDATE

      Preschool Students Trick or Treat at City Hall

      (Photo Credit: Fredy Ceja)

      The CD1 City Hall office welcomed preschool students from the Joy Picus Child Development Center on Wednesday. The little angels won us over with their costumes honoring super heroes, princesses, bumble bees, firemen and cowboys. The visit was a nice reminder that all the work we do is to make this City a better place for future generations of Angelenos.

      We Made Front Page of the Los Angeles Times

      (Photo Credit: Fredy Ceja)

      Link to LA Times Front Page Story (click here)

      Link to LA Times Editorial (click here)

      Although the article focused on the work we are doing in Pico-Union, the ‘Keep It Clean’ Campaign is targeting the entire district. All of CD1 deserves to be clean.

      Our efforts to ‘Keep It Clean’ have made front page news! The ‘Keep It Clean’ campaign was launched in July, 2013 to change the culture of dumping bulky items and trash throughout CD1. Through a pilot project with the Bureau of Sanitation and the Los Angeles Conservation Corps, we have been able to allocate financial resources to increase clean-up activities in CD1.

      ‘Keep It Clean’ has accomplished the following:

          Cleaned 287 alleys throughout CD1

          Collected 800,000 lbs. of trash (400 tons)

          Introduced solar powered trash compactors

      Our strategy is three-pronged.

          The first is to change the POLICY of the City. By allocating funds to the ‘Keep It Clean’ campaign, we have been able to expand the resources to collect trash and bulky items throughout the district. Instead of collecting trash and bulky items once a week, this pilot project has Sanitation collecting trash throughout CD1 five times a week.

          The second strategy is to change the PRACTICE. For years we had asked LA residents to leave their bulky items out and Sanitation would pick the items up along with the weekly trash pick-up. We have now moved in to a new system that asks residents to no longer leave their bulky items out. Instead, residents are expected to make an appointment with Sanitation, who will come to one’s door to pick up bulky items.

          Lastly, we have to change the CULTURE. Every time we clean up an alley or street, CD1 staff sends out 500 letters to surrounding residents explaining our efforts and letting them know that they are an equal and important partner in this campaign. Team Cedillo will shortly begin to canvass all of CD1 to educate residents about our campaign and to give them the phone number to our office, Sanitation and the City’s 3-1-1 service.

      Councilmember Partners with Azteca America to Support Obamacare

      (Photo Credit: Fredy Ceja)

      On Friday, Councilmember Cedillo partnered with Azteca America to lend support to Obamacare/Affordable Care Act (ACA). Azteca America has used its resources to educate Latinos in Spanish language about the healthcare coverage opportunities ACA provides for individuals and families. Councilmember Cedillo joined forces with Covered California, our state’s version of ACA, to let the public know of upcoming and pending deadlines to enroll in the program.

      SWIRP Open Comment Period

      City of Los Angeles’ Solid Waste Integrated Resources Plan (SWIRP) is now open for review and comment.

      Proposed Project: The City of Los Angeles has developed the Solid Waste Integrated Resources Plan (SWIRP) a long-range plan for the City’s solid waste management needs through 2030. SWIRP identifies the policies, programs and facilities that will be needed to reach the City’s goal of 90 percent landfill diversion by 2025.

      Significant Environmental Effects of Project: SWIRP, which is a Master Plan with no site specific development proposed at this time, identifies the potential future development of 10 to 15 facilities that would address the City’s solid waste infrastructure needs through 2030 (one large or six small composting facilities, three clean material recovery facilities, one resource recovery center for self-haul materials, and five alternative technology facilities for treating residual waste). The analysis in the Draft PEIR identified potentially significant impacts, including impacts to aesthetics and visual resources, agricultural and forestry resources, biological and cultural resources, geology and soils, hazardous materials, hydrology and water quality, land use and planning, mineral resources, noise, population and housing, public services and recreation. All of these impacts could be mitigated to below a level of significance. There are also some potentially significant, unmitigable air quality and traffic impacts related to the construction and operation of solid waste facilities at the program level of analysis.

      Public Review Period: The Draft PEIR is available for public review from October 31, 2013 to December 20, 2013.

      Please send your written comments no later than December 20, 2013 to:

      Reina Pereira

      Senior Environmental Engineer

      Solid Resources Support Services Division

      Bureau of Sanitation

      1149 South Broadway, 5th Floor

      Mail Stop 521

      Los Angeles, CA 90015

      Public Meetings: The following public meetings will be held to receive comments on the Draft PEIR.

          November 19, 2013, 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – North Central – Community Meeting Room, Boyle Heights City Hall, 2130 East First Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033

          November 20, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. – Downtown – Public Works Building, 1149 South Broadway, Sub-basement Room 6, Los Angeles 90015

      Where to Find the Draft PEIR: The Draft PEIR is available for review at the City of Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation at 1149 South Broadway, 5th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90015, at www.lacity.org/san under “What’s new…”, and www.zerowaste.lacity.org under “Info,” and at the following public libraries:

          Central Library, 630 W. 5th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071

          Lincoln Heights Library, 2530 Workman Street, Los Angeles, CA 90031

          Robert Louis Stevenson, 803 Spence Street, Los Angeles, CA 90023

      UPCOMING EVENTS

      Los Angeles Theatre Academy’s

      5th Annual Day of the Dead

      Friday, November 1st, 2013

      7:00PM

      Elysian Amphitheatre

      929 Academy Rd.

      Los Angeles, CA 90012

      (213) 373-5282

      Latin American Cinemateca of Los Angeles Presents Maclovia

      Friday, November 1st, 2013

      7:00PM

      Plaza de la Raza (Lincoln Park)

      3540 N. Mission Rd.

      Los Angeles, CA 90031

      FREE

      Annual Dia de Los Muertos Celebration

      Friday, November 1st, 2013

      6:00PM – 9:00PM

      Rio de Los Angeles Park

      1900 N. San Fernando Road

      Los Angeles, CA 9065

      Guillermo.reyes49@...

      (323)223-6062

      El Centro Del Pueblo’s FREE

      5th Annual Dia de los Muerto Commemoration

      Saturday, November 2nd, 2013

      2:00PM – 8:00PM

      El Centro Del Pueblo Youth Center

      1157 Lemoyne Street

      Los Angeles, CA 90026

      lmecdp@...

      (213)483-6335 ext. 104

      Southwest Museum Behind the Scenes Tour

      Saturday, November 2nd, 2013

      1:00PM—Bilingual Presentation

      2:00PM—English Presentation

      234 Museum Drive

      Los Angeles 90065

      Free to the Public

      http://www.elplan.org

      Dia de Los Muertos

      La Casita Verde

      Friday, November 3rd, 2013

      6:00PM – 8:00PM

      4601 N. Figueroa Street

      Los Angeles, CA 90065

      Feria de Salud Sobre la Diabetes

      Sunday, November 10th, 2013

      10:00AM – 3:00PM

      Placita Olvera

      1-800-DIABETES ext. 7503

      Audubon Center at Debs Park 10th Anniversary

      Saturday, November 9th, 2013

      1:00PM – 4:00PM

      Audubon Center at Debs Park

      4700 N. Griffin Avenue

      Los Angeles, CA 90031

      http://ca.audubonaction.org/site/Calendar/1307088407?view=RSVP&id=101201

      The 8th Annual Northeast Los Angeles

      Veterans Day Parade & Celebration

      Sunday, November 10th, 2013

      11:00AM Opening Ceremony

      Cypress Park Veterans Memorial (Corner of Cypress Avenue & Pepper Avenue )

      1:00PM Parade Begins

      Glassell Park Recreation Center (3750 Verdugo Road)

      3:00PM Entertainment

      Rio De Los Angeles State Park (1900 N. San Fernando Road)

      Monday, November 11th, 2013

      11:00AM Solemn Ceremony

      Eagle Rock City Hall

      2035 Colorado Boulevard

      Los Angeles Councilmember Gil Cedillo, District 1

      200 N. Spring St., Room 470

      Los Angeles, CA 90012

      (213) 473-7001