RE: [ASCOM] AScom driver for Celestron Advanced Series C11 SCT

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2006
      Thanks probably did trying all sorts of groups to get help! Ive since checked the lead and its wired up correctly. One thing thats different from my setup to most is that C: is not my windows drive - everything is installed on D: - and ive not been able to find the log files that should be produced. I'll be getting a laptop shortly which will help be eliminate the PC end of things.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2006
        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

        > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@> wrote:
        > >
        > > jjonske:
        > > > So why would the motion controls in ACP, Maxim, or The Sky
        > > > 6...Maxim centering calibration routine...all move the scope
        > > > in the same direction no matter what is selected while the
        > > > goto's would work properly?
        >
        > > (2) TheSky has within it specific code for each telescope it
        > > supports; it does not use standard drivers but it's own
        > > (different and independently developed) driver code.
        >
        > ?? So TheSky (i don't have it) is -not- an ASCOM-client?
        > (just seeking claification, so future questions can be sent there)
        >

        > > (3) Both MaxIm and ACP use simple slew commands for nudging.
        >
        > May i request reserving the phrase "simple slew" to the use
        > of the :Ms# :Mw# :Me# and :Mn# commands?
        > For the case in point, it would be clearer if you said
        > "simple (or standard) GoTo commands"
        >
        > > They compute the new RA/Dec and tell the scope (via the driver)
        > > to slew to that new location. In other words, there is no
        > > separate nudge command offered by the driver, thus those two
        > > programs do exactly the same thing for short slews
        > > (nudges) and long slews, "slew to this RA/Dec" without
        > > distinguishing between a "short" (nudge) slew and a "long" slew.
        > >
        > > Taking all three of these facts together excludes software from
        > > the cause.
        >
        > For me, the final note is the key.
        >
        > > Now I'll take guess: Your RA backlash settings in the LX200GPS
        > > are too high... the scope is moving "too far" west first in an
        > > effort to allow the scope to converge on the final coordinates
        > > with the worm against the ring.
        >
        > Given that it's using a GoTo for the nudge, i'd be more prone
        > to suspect that either:
        > (a) the scope's alignment (Autostar's idea of where RA/DEC -is-)
        > is a bit off, so the "nudge"-directed GoTo simply is GoTo'ing
        > the "wrong spot" (from the user's perspective). If that spot
        > is (for example) to the "left" of the desired target, then the
        > scope would always appear to be "nudging" to the left.
        > This could also happen if the program and the telescope differed
        > in their idea of where a certain RA/DEC were, too.
        >
        > (b) Meade appears to have added an "arrive from the east moving
        > west" tweak to the LX200gps... (to avoid anti=backlash effects
        > by trying to overcome them with larger slews) so that will cause
        > the nudge to always start with a (relatively) large eastward motion,
        > followed by the westward motion to the final destination.
        > If the user's "Train Drive" results were too low, the scope could
        > end up falling east of the target. If they were too large, it
        > might end up too far west. Note that these are the Train Drive
        > results (not handbox-visible/directly accessible without my patch
        > kit), -not- the Anti-Backlash percentages. (the Train Drive
        > results are what the Anti-Backlash percentages are percentages -of-.)
        >
        > Thanks for claifying "nudge".
        >
        > have fun
        > --dick

        Thanks to all for responding. A clarification...When I use the
        telescope api for the Sky and then select ACP Hub as the driver isn't
        this using the meade ascom driver? I re-trained my drive prior to my
        last session when the problem started. Maybe if I re-train again this
        will correct the problem. I don't believe I set the ra backlash
        setting but I'll take a look. Thanks again...

        Jim