[ASCOM] Re: Dome control

  • David Moorhouse
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      Back after a holiday, thanks for everyones comments and suggestions.
      To me the solution that Pierre has choosen seems perfect. You just
      need to be a bit careful upon powerup to switch the dome motors on
      after the software is running and all should be fine. Very easy
      interface for motors etc.

      At the end of the day why have a PC running complex code only to send
      it out a serial port to another piece of complex PIC based
      hardware/firmware only to turn a motor relay off and on! This can be
      done much easier in the PC and drive the dome directly.

      Simple is good!

      Dave Moorhouse

      Pierre yes I may well need the option to use other printer ports, I
      have talked to the guys about the az sensor and this should work out
      perfectly. Another question, when the dome moves past the home sensor
      (as part of a normal slew) does it re-sync automatically or do you
      have to put it into a home mode to do a resync?

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Pierre de Ponthiere
      <pierredeponthiere@g...> wrote:

      > David,
      > I've answered in the text.
      > Next year I intend to use a USB relay and digital IO.
      > The ADU208 from http://www.ontrak.net/products.htm#Table%205
      > The cost of shipping to Belgium will be relatively high in respect to
      > the cost of the interface! So I will probably wait until September
      > when I will visit my daughter in Montreal.
      > With this USB interface I will avoid the problems related to PC
      > booting as explained previously in this thread.

    • Pierre de Ponthiere
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        Dave,
        Ok, I'll see to implement the option for another Printer port selection.
        Let me one or two weeks to do the job.

        >Another question, when the dome moves past the home sensor
        > (as part of a normal slew) does it re-sync automatically or do you
        > have to put it into a home mode to do a resync?

        When the dome moves past the home sensor, it re-sync automatically. So
        when the settings are done you can forget the azimuth calibration.
        In my dome the park position is at 90 deg (above the door, see
        pictures on my website) and the home position is around 93 deg. So
        when the dome is slaved on the scope park position (180 deg) the dome
        is resync. The same when the dome is parked (except if the dome move
        to North to park).
        Choose a home sensor position that will be crossed at least one time
        per night of observation.

        Clear skies, (here in Belgium it's winter and very cloudy)

        Pierre.
        --
        Pierre de Ponthiere (Belgium)
        CAB Member (Cercle Astronomique de Bruxelles)

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          Thanks Pierre no hurry I haven't got the chain drive ready yet. BTW I was looking and found a possibly cheaper USB relay as a kitset from Austrailia. It has four opto coupled inputs and four relays for outputs

          The price is AU$105 plus AU$25 for international shipping which is under US$100

          David Moorhouse
          climber@...
          http://www.binoscope.co.nz/
          Auckland