Celestron Driver Nexstar 5/5i and EQ6

  • m_a_f_e_o
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi,

      I'am using Starry Night on windows XP home edition with my EQ6
      SkyScan
      Mount. All works perfectly and fast and with starry night I can slew
      the scope to an object without any problem.

      BUT:

      There isnt any handcontrol displayed to slew the scope manualy. I
      tried
      to use the Nexstar 5i protocol that gives an option to select the
      handcontrol. Works fine, but no handcontrol is showing.

      Is this correct or I have a wrong configuración ?

      If this is correct that with the Nexstar 5 or 5i protocol with EQ6
      doesnt show any handcontrol, how can I control manualy the scope ??
      In RS232 mode, the mounts handcontroler is off and no manual slew is
      posible.

      Thanks for your help
      regards

      Marco

      PS: I have the newest celestron driver installed on ASCOM platform 4.1
    • Chris Rowland
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        Hi Marco,

        > I'am using Starry Night on windows XP home edition with my EQ6
        > SkyScan
        > Mount. All works perfectly and fast and with starry night I can slew
        > the scope to an object without any problem.
        >
        > BUT:
        >
        > There isnt any handcontrol displayed to slew the scope manualy. I
        > tried
        > to use the Nexstar 5i protocol that gives an option to select the
        > handcontrol. Works fine, but no handcontrol is showing.

        The hand control is only available on the current Celestron scopes
        because the earlier NexStar protocol, which SkyScan uses, doesn't have
        suitable commands to drive a hand control from the PC.

        The correct protocol to drive the scope is determined automatically by
        reading from the scope, setting the different protocol doesn't have any
        effect on this. The scope selector sets the aperture, focal length and
        obstruction.

        > Is this correct or I have a wrong configuración ?

        You are doing everything correctly.

        > If this is correct that with the Nexstar 5 or 5i protocol with EQ6
        > doesnt show any handcontrol, how can I control manualy the scope ??
        > In RS232 mode, the mounts handcontroler is off and no manual slew is
        > posible.

        You will have to discuss this with the SkyScan people.

        > Thanks for your help

        Can't do much I'm afraid. Thank you for a very clear description of the
        problem, that helps a lot.

        Chris
      • Mike Mc
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          I think that is a lack of a feature in Starry Night. In MaximDL you can manually control the scope using nudge commands.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2005
            Hi Chris,

            I 've solved the handcontroller issue. The problem wasnt the ascom
            celestron driver as I believed before (sorry), nor the software for
            the SkyScan EQ6 from Skywatcher because it works for example with
            MaximDL and DSLR Focus very well.

            The problem was definitively starrynight.

            I updated my Starrynight version 5.0.2 to the latest version 5.7 and
            in this new version of starrynight the hancontroller feature is fully
            implemented.

            Works realy great !!

            Best regards,

            Marco

            --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Chris Rowland
            <chris_group_mail@d...> wrote:

            > Hi Marco,
            >
            > > I'am using Starry Night on windows XP home edition with my EQ6
            > > SkyScan
            > > Mount. All works perfectly and fast and with starry night I can
            slew
            > > the scope to an object without any problem.
            > >
            > > BUT:
            > >
            > > There isnt any handcontrol displayed to slew the scope manualy. I
            > > tried
            > > to use the Nexstar 5i protocol that gives an option to select the
            > > handcontrol. Works fine, but no handcontrol is showing.
            >
            > The hand control is only available on the current Celestron scopes
            > because the earlier NexStar protocol, which SkyScan uses, doesn't
            have
            > suitable commands to drive a hand control from the PC.
            >
            > The correct protocol to drive the scope is determined automatically
            by
            > reading from the scope, setting the different protocol doesn't have
            any
            > effect on this. The scope selector sets the aperture, focal length
            and
            > obstruction.
            >
            > > Is this correct or I have a wrong configuración ?
            >
            > You are doing everything correctly.
            >
            > > If this is correct that with the Nexstar 5 or 5i protocol with
            EQ6
            > > doesnt show any handcontrol, how can I control manualy the
            scope ??
            > > In RS232 mode, the mounts handcontroler is off and no manual slew
            is
            > > posible.
            >
            > You will have to discuss this with the SkyScan people.
            >
            > > Thanks for your help
            >
            > Can't do much I'm afraid. Thank you for a very clear description of
            the
            > problem, that helps a lot.
            >
            > Chris

          • m_a_f_e_o
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 21, 2005
              you was right Mike!

              Thanks,

              Marco

              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mc" <antispam.m@u...> wrote:

              > I think that is a lack of a feature in Starry Night. In MaximDL you
              can manually control the scope using nudge commands.

              YOU USED TO SUBSCRIBE(!) to: