Meade Driver and RCX

  • Chuck Faranda
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
      I just connected my new RCX to the Meade driver and a warning appeared to update to version 2 or newer firmware.  The latest firmware for the RCX is 1.0f.  Besides that are there any other updates needed to the Meade Autostar driver for the RCX?

      Regards,
      Chuck Faranda
      http://ccdastro.net
    • Jonathan Fay
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005

        I am having some issues getting data from Meade about updating the Driver to Add RCX compatibility. They want to ship ASCOM drivers with their equipment, but they don’t want to release the RCX protocol changes.

        I can’t understand their logic, but we should be able to do something to at least limp in a LX200 compatibility mode even if we can’t do the absolute focusing of the RCX.

        I guess the short answer is the driver needs updating, not your scope.

        Jonathan

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
          I have the same issue with Takhashi and their Temma!

          I guess the current driver will do the basics.  Thanks for the info.

          Regards,
          Chuck Faranda
          http://ccdastro.net

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005

            I wonder if trying to make the same Meade driver work for all Meade scopes might be the wrong way to go. Does this justify a new driver just for the RCX series? The Meade driver is already pretty complicated and creaking at the seams. Why transfer all that baggage to the new scope?

            I don’t think we should let Meade off the hook too easily by providing them with a free driver. It’s about time they stepped up to the plate and funded the development of a driver. If we give them a free driver, we’ll send a signal that equipment vendors can rely on getting a free driver. In my view, hardware vendors should be taking ownership of their drivers and that is important to the long term success of ASCOM. So whoever is working on this, I sincerely hope that you are talking to Meade about paying the bill. It’s not just about money – it is important that they take ownership of the problem.

            Regards,

            --Tim Long

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Fay" <jonathan@b...> wrote:
              > I am having some issues getting data from Meade about updating
              > the Driver to Add RCX compatibility. They want to ship ASCOM
              > drivers with their equipment,
              > but they don't want to release the RCX protocol changes.
              >
              > I can't understand their logic, but we should be able to do
              > something to at least limp in a LX200 compatibility mode
              > even if we can't do the absolute focusing of the RCX.
              >
              > I guess the short answer is the driver needs updating,
              > not your scope.

              Many of the classic commands have recently been expanded
              in the LX200gps firmware, too... with v3.0i there is
              now a :R(digit)# command which selects one of the primary
              keypad speed settings (1=guide, 9=max)

              Looking at the Focus (:F) command set, i see there's now
              an :FP(number)# which appears to command focus motion for
              (number) milliseconds. There's also a :FB# command which
              returns a 0 or 1 depending upon whether the focus is
              -running- based upon the :FP command (i think).

              So the driver is "obsolete" for the LX200gps, too.

              Meade drifts undocumented commands in and out of the
              LX200gps firmware with almost every update. -Some-
              people are evidently told about them, such as:
              There's been a :hI20050630122305# date/time initialize
              command hiding in there for a long time, which was only
              discovered by someone seeing it emitted by one (non-Meade)
              application program.

              have fun
              --dick
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2005
                Fay:
                > I am having some issues getting data from Meade about updating the
                > Driver to Add RCX compatibility. They want to ship ASCOM drivers with
                > their equipment, but they don’t want to release the RCX protocol
                > changes.

                Chicken and Egg problem. Optimally solvable by them furnishing the driver
                WITH the scope. That way they can keep their protocol secret and at the
                same time let "the rest of us" control the scope, oblivious of their secret
                protocol.

                > I can’t understand their logic, but we should be able to do something to
                > at least limp in a LX200 compatibility mode even if we can’t do the
                > absolute focusing of the RCX.

                I'd advise against this, as it is just prolonging the inevitable.