"Bartelised" Telescope and SBIG Camera control

  • Tim Scott
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi Folks

      I'm after advise on the following problem. I've bought a new laptop
      computer and I was hoping to use it to drive both my SBIG ST5 camera
      and my Mel Bartels powered telescope. The camera and telescope will be
      connected to the laptop by serial ports using a USB to dual RS232
      adapter.
      I use Cartes de Ciel as my mapping software and this can use the ASCOM
      interface.
      What I need now, I think, is some software that runs the SBIG camera
      and uses the same ASCOM driver to the telescope as Cartes de Ciel. The
      idea is the Cartes de Ciel is used for commanding the telescope to
      point at a new object and then the Camera software for sending
      Autoguiding commands. I've searched the websites but have had
      dificulty finding software the accomplishes this, does anyone have any
      advice please.

      Tim Scott
    • Don Lewis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Tim,
        You may be aware that the bartels Stepper software supports
        the LX200 protocol with extensions for focuser. So set you
        Scope.exe program to LX200 on the com port and you might try the
        ASCOM Meade LX200 type telescope driver.
        If you have been following the threads here you will see that CCD
        cameras are under early development stages. You might just run the
        SBIG CCDOps (latest version from their site) with the camera.
        A problem I see is that you will have to be running W98 or later
        so scope.exe will have to function in a DOS window.
        May the force be with you,

        jmtcw:
        Don Lewis
        Wye Mtn Observatory
        http://users.tcworks.net/~djlewis/

        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Scott" <TimScott@d...> wrote:
        > Hi Folks
        >
        > I'm after advise on the following problem. I've bought a new laptop
        > computer and I was hoping to use it to drive both my SBIG ST5
        camera
        > and my Mel Bartels powered telescope. The camera and telescope will
        be
        > connected to the laptop by serial ports using a USB to dual RS232
        > adapter.
        > I use Cartes de Ciel as my mapping software and this can use the
        ASCOM
        > interface.
        > What I need now, I think, is some software that runs the SBIG
        camera
        > and uses the same ASCOM driver to the telescope as Cartes de Ciel.
        The
        > idea is the Cartes de Ciel is used for commanding the telescope to
        > point at a new object and then the Camera software for sending
        > Autoguiding commands. I've searched the websites but have had
        > dificulty finding software the accomplishes this, does anyone have
        any
        > advice please.
        >
        > Tim Scott
      • Douglas B. George
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
          Tim Scott wrote:

          > Hi Folks
          >
          > I'm after advise on the following problem. I've bought a new laptop
          > computer and I was hoping to use it to drive both my SBIG ST5 camera
          > and my Mel Bartels powered telescope. The camera and telescope will be
          > connected to the laptop by serial ports using a USB to dual RS232
          > adapter.
          > I use Cartes de Ciel as my mapping software and this can use the ASCOM
          > interface.
          > What I need now, I think, is some software that runs the SBIG camera
          > and uses the same ASCOM driver to the telescope as Cartes de Ciel. The
          > idea is the Cartes de Ciel is used for commanding the telescope to
          > point at a new object and then the Camera software for sending
          > Autoguiding commands. I've searched the websites but have had
          > dificulty finding software the accomplishes this, does anyone have any
          > advice please.
          >
          > Tim Scott

          Our MaxIm DL/CCD software can do this. See http://www.cyanogen.com

          You can hook up both MaxIm DL/CCD and Cartes de Ciel to the telescope at
          the same time, using the ASCOM "POTH" telescope hub.

          Doug

          -----------------------------------

          Doug George
          dgeorge@...

          Diffraction Limited
          Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products
          http://www.cyanogen.com

          25 Conover Street
          Ottawa, Ontario,
          Canada, K2G 4C3

          Phone: (613) 225-2732
          Fax: (613) 225-9688

          -----------------------------------
        • Tim Scott
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
            Thanks for the replies folks. It sounds as though Maxim is the best
            solution so I guess I'd better go down that route

            Tim
          • tom_mcdonagh
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
              Hi Tim,

              I was under the impression, that Mel's stepper system really needs a
              dedicated cpu to drive the stepping. Any interrups may play havic with
              the operation of Scope.exe. You may want to post this question to
              Scope-drive yahoo group.

              Best regards,

              Tom

              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Scott" <TimScott@d...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the replies folks. It sounds as though Maxim is the best
              > solution so I guess I'd better go down that route
              >
              > Tim
            • jrcct75
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
                Tim

                I do believe you are correct it that. I have been using Mel's system
                for years and it only works well for me in a pure DOS environment, I
                have never been able to get it to function well in a DOS window.
                It does has the LX200 protocol so if you have a older laptop or
                desktop that can run a DOS environment that will receive the LX200
                commands from other programs. I use it this way now with SMP 6.

                John

                --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "tom_mcdonagh" <tom_mcdonagh@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hi Tim,
                >
                > I was under the impression, that Mel's stepper system really needs a
                > dedicated cpu to drive the stepping. Any interrups may play havic with
                > the operation of Scope.exe. You may want to post this question to
                > Scope-drive yahoo group.
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Tom
                >
                > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Scott" <TimScott@d...> wrote:
                > > Thanks for the replies folks. It sounds as though Maxim is the best
                > > solution so I guess I'd better go down that route
                > >
                > > Tim
              • mniemi000
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 10, 2005
                  Hi Tim,

                  I have been useing Mel's stepper system for a few years now and I agree
                  that it is best to keep the scope control on a PC of its own. It has
                  timing requirements that Windows can cause havoc with in a multitasking
                  environment. I communicate from MaxIm and ECU to Mel's program via the
                  FocusMax hub. The generic LX200 driver will work for scope control.
                  In order to use FocusMax, Larry Weber and I made a few minor tweeks to
                  the MeadeEX driver (Meade telescope and focuser)that lets it recognize
                  Mel's LX200 emulation. This keeps FocusMax happy. I think that the
                  changes could be rolled into the generic LX200 driver and then FocusMax
                  should work there too. If you want to try FocusMax with Mel's program.
                  let me know and I can send you the driver.

                  Cheers, Marty