RE: [ASCOM] .Net

    Message 1 of 3 , May 11 8:30 AM
      I noticed the serial I/O classes in Whidbey beta 1 but I've already found a perfectly good solution that doesn't require me to think about Pinvoke or Helper.dll. I've been using the JH.CommBase assemblies that were published on MSDN and I like the way they work. They've proved very flexible and reliable for me. The JH.CommBase stuff obviously uses Pinvoke under the hood, but it hides all that from the .Net developer so it is used just like any other .Net assembly. And the source code is available so you can change the way it works if needed. The new Serial I/O classes may be fine but for me it might be too little too late. When my Beta 2 package arrives I'll look again at the built in stuff. If it is any good I may switch to it, time will tell.

      Regards,
      Tim Long
      TiGra Networks - Your information technology partner

    • Dan Gray
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11 8:33 AM
        Hi Tim and all,
        I found the same solution as you Tim, and I like it too, it has proven
        very reliable.

        Dan Gray

        Tim Long wrote:

        > I noticed the serial I/O classes in Whidbey beta 1 but I've already
        > found a perfectly good solution that doesn't require me to think about
        > Pinvoke or Helper.dll. I've been using the JH.CommBase assemblies that
        > were published on MSDN and I like the way they work. They've proved
        > very flexible and reliable for me. The JH.CommBase stuff obviously
        > uses Pinvoke under the hood, but it hides all that from the .Net
        > developer so it is used just like any other .Net assembly. And the
        > source code is available so you can change the way it works if needed.
        > The new Serial I/O classes may be fine but for me it might be too
        > little too late. When my Beta 2 package arrives I'll look again at the
        > built in stuff. If it is any good I may switch to it, time will tell.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Tim Long
        > TiGra Networks - Your information technology partner

      • Jonathan Fay
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11 2:29 PM
          The P/Invoke still exists and required security permissions to run,
          basically once call into unmanaged code and you have to have full trust for
          your assemblies. This can be a pain to some distribution methods. A serial
          driver used from the core platform is a much easier solution in the long
          run. I do agree that the MSDN JH.CommBase stuff is a good way to go.

          Jonathan