Re: [ASCOM] focuser driver example code?

  • Mike Gore
    Message 1 of 13 , May 11, 2005
      Hi Mike,
      Looks at http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualfocus/

      --
      # Mike Gore
      # At Home: InfoWrite Consulting
      Message 2 of 13 , May 23, 2005
        Thanks Bob!

        I successfully built a focuser driver for this servo controller:
        http://www.phidgetsusa.com/cat/viewproduct.asp?category=2000&subcategory=2100&SKU=1000
        using the Focus Simulator code as a starting point.

        I haven't tested it outdoors yet, but it looks like it should work well.
        If anyone is interested in using this controller, I'll make the code
        available. (this is the first time I've written VB, so be kind).

        -mike

        Bob Denny <rdenny@...> writes:

        > Mike --
        >
        > Install the ASCOM Platform and when asked, select "Include developer
        > components". Then go into C:\Program Files\Common Files\ASCOM and look in
        > subfolders for Source folders. There is a lot of source code there.
        >
        > -- Bob

      • Jonathan Fay
        Message 3 of 13 , May 27, 2005
          I would love to take a look. I ordered one to try it with.

          Bob Denny <rdenny@...> writes:

          > Mike --
          >
          > Install the ASCOM Platform and when asked, select "Include developer
          > components". Then go into C:\Program Files\Common Files\ASCOM and look in
          > subfolders for Source folders. There is a lot of source code there.

          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE ACCOUNT YOU USED TO
          SUBSCRIBE(!) to:

        • Chuck Faranda
          Message 4 of 13 , May 27, 2005
            Yeah Mike, I'm interested too.

            Regards,
            Chuck Faranda
            http://ccdastro.net

            >I would love to take a look. I ordered one to try it with.

          • mike halderman
            Message 5 of 13 , May 27, 2005
              Here you go:
              http://www.mrh.org/phidgetfocus.zip

              I was able to use it with the autofocus routines in MaxIm the other night.

              -mike

              "Jonathan Fay" <jonathan@...> writes:

              > I would love to take a look. I ordered one to try it with.

            • Al Testani
              Message 6 of 13 , May 29, 2005
                Mike,

                Thanks for sharing this with the group.

                I tried to open the project to answer some questions I had but could
                not. Can you tell me what the resolution and accuracy of focuser
                positioning is for your system? Also, how are you deriving the
                pulsewidth for the servo driver? Is this done in a microprocessor
                on the controller or with Windows?

                Thanks

                Al

                Message 7 of 13 , May 29, 2005
                  The controller board derives the pulsewidth, IFAIK.

                  The drivers from the phidget site handle all the details. You
                  can just send a floating-point position (degrees) to the PhidgetServo
                  object. The phidget board claims 0.1 degree resolution. As
                  far as I can tell this is true. I haven't done any extensive
                  accuracy testing.

                  In the ascom driver I multiply the floating point servo position
                  by 10 to convert to focuser steps. This seems to work well for
                  me.

                  -mike

                  "Al Testani" <atestani@...> writes:

                  > Mike,
                  >
                  > Thanks for sharing this with the group.
                  >
                  > I tried to open the project to answer some questions I had but could
                  > not. Can you tell me what the resolution and accuracy of focuser
                  > positioning is for your system? Also, how are you deriving the
                  > pulsewidth for the servo driver? Is this done in a microprocessor
                  > on the controller or with Windows?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Al
                  >
                  > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, mike halderman <sbig@m...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Here you go:
                  >> http://www.mrh.org/phidgetfocus.zip
                  >>
                  >> I was able to use it with the autofocus routines in MaxIm the
                  > other night.
                  >>
                  >> -mike
                • Viant
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 22 7:35 AM
                    Hi all,

                    This is my first post of this forum and I am happy to read often your
                    post. I am french and my english isn't very academic, sorry ;o))

                    Mike, I would like to build a focuser with this phidget. I bought the
                    little USB phidget card and the servo-motor. But it seems the servo
                    motor run only on 180 degres, no more !!
                    Have you the same behavior?
                    Have you do some modifactions?

                    Thanks in advance.
                    Cheers
                    Thierry

                    --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, mike halderman <sbig@m...> wrote:

                    > The controller board derives the pulsewidth, IFAIK.
                    >
                    > The drivers from the phidget site handle all the details. You
                    > can just send a floating-point position (degrees) to the
                    PhidgetServo
                    > object. The phidget board claims 0.1 degree resolution. As
                    > far as I can tell this is true. I haven't done any extensive
                    > accuracy testing.
                    >
                    > In the ascom driver I multiply the floating point servo position
                    > by 10 to convert to focuser steps. This seems to work well for
                    > me.
                    >
                    > -mike
                    >
                    > "Al Testani" <atestani@a...> writes:
                    >
                    > > Mike,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for sharing this with the group.
                    > >
                    > > I tried to open the project to answer some questions I had but
                    could
                    > > not. Can you tell me what the resolution and accuracy of focuser
                    > > positioning is for your system? Also, how are you deriving the
                    > > pulsewidth for the servo driver? Is this done in a
                    microprocessor
                    > > on the controller or with Windows?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > Al
                    > >
                    > > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, mike halderman <sbig@m...>
                    wrote:

                    > >> Here you go:
                    > >> http://www.mrh.org/phidgetfocus.zip
                    > >>
                    > >> I was able to use it with the autofocus routines in MaxIm the
                    > > other night.
                    > >>
                    > >> -mike
                  • mike halderman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 22 12:44 PM
                      RC servos can normally only turn 180 degrees. I'm sorry I didn't make
                      that more clear. I hope you can still use it. It was plenty to for
                      my rack and pinion focuser which only needs to move a small amount
                      for auto-focusing.

                      -mike

                      "Viant" <thierry.viant@...> writes:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > This is my first post of this forum and I am happy to read often your
                      > post. I am french and my english isn't very academic, sorry ;o))
                      >
                      > Mike, I would like to build a focuser with this phidget. I bought the
                      > little USB phidget card and the servo-motor. But it seems the servo
                      > motor run only on 180 degres, no more !!
                      > Have you the same behavior?
                      > Have you do some modifactions?
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance.
                      > Cheers
                      > Thierry

                    • R Hamlett
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 22 1:32 PM
                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > This is my first post of this forum and I am happy to read often your
                        > post. I am french and my english isn't very academic, sorry ;o))
                        >
                        > Mike, I would like to build a focuser with this phidget. I bought the
                        > little USB phidget card and the servo-motor. But it seems the servo
                        > motor run only on 180 degres, no more !!
                        > Have you the same behavior?
                        > Have you do some modifactions?
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance.
                        > Cheers
                        > Thierry
                        Standard RC servos, have the position detected by a potentiometer. Such
                        units, have a maximum rotation of about 270 degrees, and a normal 'use'
                        range, of about 180 degrees. You can get multi-turn RC servos, the
                        commonest form is sold as a 'sail winch' servo for RC yachting, which
                        typically have 10 or 20 turn ranges. However the accuracy of positioning
                        falls with the increased range...
                        A half turn, is still enough to do fine positioning with many focussers,
                        but if you want more than this, then you need to look at a different servo,
                        or modifying the unit. Generally, an RC servo, will not provide 0.1 degree
                        'accuracy', but will provide this level of 'repeatability'. So if you ask
                        it to move to (say) 90 degrees, you may well find it a couple of degrees
                        'off'. However if you ask it then to go to 90.5 degrees, it will move in
                        the right direction, and if you ask it to go 'back' to 90 degrees, it'll go
                        back to almost exactly the original position. The inaccuracy, is in the
                        potentiometers used, and most units have a small 'deadband' in the servo
                        hardware, to prevent hunting.

                        Best Wishes