Re: [ASCOM] Finding progid's?

  • tmciver28
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2005
      Thanks Bob and Scott. This was very helpful. At the very least, I'm
      glad to hear that it's not just me who finds this progid business a
      little difficult. Thanks again.

      Tim

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@d...> wrote:
      > I agree that the ProgIDs are difficult to find. One way is to get
      'hold of
      > OLEVIEW (a free MS app) and use it, though it is cryptic. I will add the
      > ProgIDs for the DriverHelper and DriverHelper2 to the docs. For
      someone not
      > familiar with programming scriptable Windows objects, the examples are
      > useful to frame what a ProgID even is! Actually, this is a general
      problem
      > on Windows for objects. Once you get OLEVIEW, look under the Automation
      > branch of its tree, and you'll see the zillions of objects on your
      system.
      > Not all of them are scriptable, but most are.
      >
      > I wish I could create some sort of centralized location for all
      > ASCOM-related ProgIDs, but I just don't have the resources to do it and
      > maintain it.
      >
      > -- Bob
      >
      > --
      > Bob Denny
      > rdenny@d...
      >
      > DC-3 Dreams, SP
      > Makers of ACP and PinPoint
      > http://dc3.com/
    • Charlie
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
        I tried to install oleview from the ms site, but it does not install the
        file iviewers.dll. Has anyone had this problem? If you were able to find
        this file, please clue me in.

        TIA,

        Charlie

        Thanks Bob and Scott. This was very helpful. At the very least, I'm
        glad to hear that it's not just me who finds this progid business a
        little difficult. Thanks again.

        Tim

        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@d...> wrote:
        > I agree that the ProgIDs are difficult to find. One way is to get
        'hold of
        > OLEVIEW (a free MS app) and use it, though it is cryptic. I will add the
        > ProgIDs for the DriverHelper and DriverHelper2 to the docs. For
        someone not
        > familiar with programming scriptable Windows objects, the examples are
        > useful to frame what a ProgID even is! Actually, this is a general
        problem
        > on Windows for objects. Once you get OLEVIEW, look under the Automation
        > branch of its tree, and you'll see the zillions of objects on your
        system.
        > Not all of them are scriptable, but most are.
        >
        > I wish I could create some sort of centralized location for all
        > ASCOM-related ProgIDs, but I just don't have the resources to do it and
        > maintain it.
        >
        > -- Bob
        >
        > --
        > Bob Denny
        > rdenny@d...
        >
        > DC-3 Dreams, SP
        > Makers of ACP and PinPoint
        > http://dc3.com/

        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE ACCOUNT YOU USED TO
        SUBSCRIBE(!) to:

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
          That's weird. I've never had an install problem with OLEVIEW. Anyone else
          have this?

          Bob Denny
          rdenny@...

          DC-3 Dreams, SP
          Makers of ACP and PinPoint
          http://dc3.com/
        • Scott Scheirman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
            Hi Bob,
                I just installed oleview from MS site onto a Win XP system.  Install went fine.  Running gives error message:

            "Could not find Iviewers.dll to auto-register it ITypeLib and IDataObject Interface viewers.
            Oleviewer will operate correctly without this DLL, however you will not be able to use the interface viewers.  Do you want to try to find IVIEWERS.DLL in a different location?"  Yes / No

            Clicking through the screens does bring up what I'm assuming is the oleviewer.

            Note: the help doc that says that it is intended for Win2K only (i.e., not Win XP).  Perhaps that's a clue :)

            Regards,

            Scott Scheirman

            That's weird. I've never had an install problem with OLEVIEW. Anyone else
            have this?

            Bob Denny
            rdenny@...

            DC-3 Dreams, SP
            Makers of ACP and PinPoint
            http://dc3.com/

            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE ACCOUNT YOU USED TO SUBSCRIBE(!) to:

          • Roger Groenendaels
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2005
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2005
                I tried to install oleview from the MS site- I don't get the file
                iviewers.dll. Any ideas?

                Charlie

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2005
                  HI Roger,

                  Thanks!  You are correct.

                  (My initial comments were the result of searching ms site for oleview.exe, then downloading.  The oleview.exe supplied with the win 2003 resource kit does indeed work just fine on XP).

                  Regards,

                  Scott Scheirman

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 3, 2005
                    I got it from
                    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/oleview-
                    o.asp
                    It installs and runs without complaint on XP Pro. IVIEWERS.DLL is included
                    in the same dir as the app.
                    HTH.
                    William