LX200 in JAVA - Part2?

  • sachdeva@collide.info
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
      HI All,
      Thanks a lot for pndering your thoughts along with your busy schedules.
      My idea is to use webservices(XML,WSDL,UDDI) under Linux for controlling
      the scopes. Now to control it over webservices the code must be in JAVA.
      I started converting the lx200 protocol to JNI which I find a huge task.

      Yesterday night I came up with an Idea. The idea is using this lx200xed
      daemon which comes with xephem as it is, which reads from FIFOs file and
      make a JAVA core application which writes to xephem_loc_fifo, in that way
      the existing C Code couild be used with a JAVA interface.
      ----------- ----------
      |JAVA | ---> xephem_loc_fifo -------------------------> | |
      |application| | lx200xed |
      | | <--- xephem_in_fifo <---------------------------| |
      ----------- ----------

      /dev/ttyS0

      Please comment on this idea. I just have 1 month experience in Astronomy,
      so am heavily relying on your comments.
      Thanks.
      Kunal Sachdeva
    • Evgeny Gesin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 3:56 AM
        If I understand correctly you want to use xephem as a
        "command processor" and not directly implement lx200
        protocol in Java to manage telescope. Why not, nice
        idea.

        It would be much effective if xephem can read commands
        from a message queue, so Java will put commands via
        JMS and that will work fast and asynchronous from the
        user's point of view. Can xephem connect to MQ?

        Evgeny

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • sachdeva@collide.info
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1 4:58 AM
          Hi There,
          No xephem will not act as a comman processor infact lx200 daemon will be a
          command processor and commands will be generated by a JAVA program. I
          created a sample program in JAVA which opens both fifos and write and read
          it from them. And it works.
          Only thing I am stuck at is the calculation of complete command text after
          a user clicks "Go to". The format of the text is something like this:
          "Polaris,f|M|F7, 2:31:48.7|38, 89:15:51|-15,2.02,2000,0"
          But I dont know how it is being constructed. Do you have any idea? I got
          this parameter by debugging the code.
          Kunal

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1 5:38 AM
            As this conversation is veering quickly off topic, may I suggest you try
            the Astro-Programming group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Astroprg/).
            You may find that the community there has a more general-purpose
            interest in astronomy and computing rather than just things that are
            specific to ASCOM.

            Regards,
            Tim Long (moderator)