Re: [ASCOM] C or C++ example?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi Bill --

      The scope of your question is a bit large :-) for this list. ASCOM's
      fundamental technology is (at least right now) the built in Windows object
      oriented system called the Component Object Model, with specific
      restrictions so that components are scriptable and handle errors in a
      consistent way. The latter set of restrictions has several names,
      "automation" seems to be the best, but ActiveX is also close enough.

      In your case, at least for now (!!), you have it easier. You don't have to
      know what's involved in creating a successful automation capability, you
      just need to know how to USE one from C++.

      The Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) site has lots of information on all
      of this -- too much!!!! I wrote a C++ based driver for Starry Night which
      monitors the scope's position and let's you slew around. I thinik this
      would be an excellent sample to start with. Plan on doing some learning.
      Also plan to be "surprised" at the innards of automation :-)

      With the kind(!!) permission of the folks at SPACE.com, I have uploaded the
      sources of the Starry Night plugin for ASCOM telescope control to

      http://ascom-standards.org/download/ascomC++Sample.zip

      This shows not only how to talk to the telescoope driver, but also how to
      use the Utilities objects and how to use the Chooser to present a common
      telescope selection UI to the user and avoid hard-coding the ASCOM registry
      data layout into your program.

      Hopefully this will give you a jump start.