Re: [ASCOM] XP Remote Access Problems

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
      Me:
      >Is the app on the guiding computer connecting to TheSky's scripting
      > interface, then? (or at least -trying- to do this?)
      Al:
      > Yes.

      OK, the first place to look is in the DCOM settings for TheSky (the
      "server"). Start with a Win98 machine for the guiding computer and XP for
      the main/control one that is running TheSky. Adjust the DCOM settings for
      sky.exe until you can run a simple little script on the guiding computer
      that just creates a TheSky.RASCOMTele. The CreateObject() method has an
      optional second parameter:

      Set SKY = CreateObject("TheSky.RASCOMTele", "CONTROL")

      where the main/control computer is \\CONTROL

      -- Bob
    • Al Testani
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
        Thanks, Bob.

        Your suggestion on how to simplify testing this is a good one so as
        to eliminate my code as a source of the issue. I should have
        thought about that myself. Unfortunately, I get the same results
        with the simple scripts and I tried it with the ASCOM scope
        simulator as well as TheSky. I had the respective servers running
        on the remote machine(s) I was trying to connect to keep things
        simple.

        The scripts I used were:

        Set x = CreateObject("ScopeSim.Telescope", <machine name here>)
        x.SetupDialog

        and

        Set x = CreateObject("TheSky.RASCOMTheSky", <machine name here>)
        x.GetObjectRADec("M51") (pops up the M51 object dialog in TheSky)

        I have three machines on this network for this testing. Two
        (wonderful) Win98 machines and a (pain in the butt) XP machine.

        In all cases if I used the same machine name in the script of where
        I was running the script it all worked (even on XP). This should
        prove everything is registered correctly and the scripts work.

        Either direction between the win98 machines also worked fine.

        The issue is still with XP to win98 machine or vice-versa. The error
        messages and results are the same for ScopeSim and TheSky:

        XP -> Win98: "Authentication Service Unknown"
        98 -> XP: XP beeps signaling an Event Viewer entry. Error in log
        says "Server (clsid of server) did not register with DCOM within the
        required timeout" plus a long timeout on the 98 machine and an error
        message saying "ActiveX component can't create object". The XP
        error description also shows that the client trying to connect is
        using Guest. BTW, last night I tried some of this by setting up the
        same userid and password on a Win98 and the XP machine and that
        didn't work either.

        I tried every DCOM security setting I know about including using
        Component Services to set each server to:
        Authentication Level "None"
        Launch and Access rights include "Everyone" and "Guest"

        There isn't much to set on the 98 machines using DCOMCNFG but I set
        all the defaults to as loose as I could. Some of the settings are
        greyed-out in DCOMCNFG so that's why I say there isn't much to set
        up.

        The next thing I am going to try is to change the name of my scripts
        to blaster.worm. That will probably work! <g>

        -- Al

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
          Yeek! Hmm...

          > XP -> Win98: "Authentication Service Unknown"

          Is it possible that you don't have ASCOM Platform installed on the Win98
          systems? The Platform installer will install the so-called DCOM update from
          Microsoft (which is actually a complete replacement for all COM/DCOM
          components). If that's not installed, you can run into all sorts of
          problems trying to connect into servers on 98. Is there some thang that
          needs to be running on 98 like a DCOM service? Maybe that needs to be set
          for startup?

          > 98 -> XP: XP beeps signaling an Event Viewer entry. Error in log
          > says "Server (clsid of server) did not register with DCOM within the
          > required timeout"

          OK, XP knows that someone is trying to connect to (clsid of server) but the
          server for some reason didn't start (or at least it didn't end up being
          listed in the Running Object Table quickly enough).

          This stuff is so squirrily... the basic design needed so much security
          boilerplate added over time that it's no wonder Microsoft eventually dumped
          it in favor of SOAP for .NET and interoperation with other OSs via HTTP.

          -- Bob
        • Al Testani
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
            --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@d...> wrote:
            > Yeek! Hmm...
            >
            > > XP -> Win98: "Authentication Service Unknown"
            >
            > Is it possible that you don't have ASCOM Platform installed on the
            Win98
            > systems? The Platform installer will install the so-called DCOM
            update from
            > Microsoft (which is actually a complete replacement for all
            COM/DCOM
            > components). If that's not installed, you can run into all sorts of
            > problems trying to connect into servers on 98. Is there some thang
            that
            > needs to be running on 98 like a DCOM service? Maybe that needs to
            be set
            > for startup?

            I installed the latest platform on all machines before starting all
            of this stuff. I subsequently downloaded DCOM98 and DCOMCNFG
            updates from the MS web site and installed them on the Win98
            machines. Is that what the platofrm installer does... how about XP?
            I also have the full SP1 installed on the XP machine. I tried net
            start rpcss on the XP machine and am informed that the service is
            already running. I tried starting the rpcss 98 equivalent at boot
            time on the win98 machines and that didn't help either.

            > > 98 -> XP: XP beeps signaling an Event Viewer entry. Error in
            log
            > > says "Server (clsid of server) did not register with DCOM within
            the
            > > required timeout"
            >
            > OK, XP knows that someone is trying to connect to (clsid of
            server) but the
            > server for some reason didn't start (or at least it didn't end up
            being
            > listed in the Running Object Table quickly enough).

            The servers were already running so as to eliminate this sort of
            thing!!!

            > This stuff is so squirrily... the basic design needed so much
            security
            > boilerplate added over time that it's no wonder Microsoft
            eventually dumped
            > it in favor of SOAP for .NET and interoperation with other OSs via
            HTTP.

            Right... that's a nice way of saying all of this stuff from MS is
            junk and they needed to start over since it got to be such a
            kludge. The problem is what to do until it all (ASCOM or otherwise)
            is converted to .NET, SOAP, DEODORANT, or whatever!

            Surely someone has this working as advertised on XP (anyone?). Maybe
            an XP to XP connection works and it is a XP - 98 interoperability
            thing?

            I think I am going to only use Win98 in my astronomy setup and leave
            XP to my office machine. That seems like the only hope of working.
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
              Al Testani:
              > I installed the latest platform on all machines before starting all
              > of this stuff. I subsequently downloaded DCOM98 and DCOMCNFG
              > updates from the MS web site and installed them on the Win98
              > machines. Is that what the platofrm installer does...

              Yes, it installs the DCOM update for 98 (or even the 95 flavor if some slog
              is still running 95).

              > how about XP?

              It theoretically has the latest of all of this. But you may have noticed
              the "latest Critical Update or Service Pack" warning about XP when you
              install the Platform on same... only the Micro-kids know what's in those
              updates. The release notes appear to contain only a fraction of the changes
              made. I have a large repetoire of ugly war stories about MS version marking
              and releases...

              > I also have the full SP1 installed on the XP machine. I tried net
              > start rpcss on the XP machine and am informed that the service is
              > already running. I tried starting the rpcss 98 equivalent at boot
              > time on the win98 machines and that didn't help either.

              Humbug...

              > Right... that's a nice way of saying all of this stuff from MS is
              > junk and they needed to start over since it got to be such a
              > kludge. The problem is what to do until it all (ASCOM or otherwise)
              > is converted to .NET, SOAP, DEODORANT, or whatever!

              Got that! I can really sense your frustration now :-)))))

              > Surely someone has this working as advertised on XP (anyone?). Maybe
              > an XP to XP connection works and it is a XP - 98 interoperability
              > thing?

              It is supposed to work under the "right" conditions.

              > I think I am going to only use Win98 in my astronomy setup and leave
              > XP to my office machine. That seems like the only hope of working.

              For me, the opposite is true; 98 has been truly painful stability wise. But
              I can understand your frustration with the XP/DCOM architecture with the
              security boilerplate they had to add after the fact apparently due to the
              "young'n'saavy" designers that got involved. Just look at the destruction
              that the "so cool" architecture of Microsoft Outlook allowed to be wreaked
              on the Internet. And then read "Inside Windows NT" by Helen Custer to see
              what the original NT designers (from Digital Equipment Corp.) came up with.
              Truly beautiful. OK, enough bitching about MS kiddie-code.