Re: [ASCOM] PHD loses ASCOM connection after time

  • Alan Hewat
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
      I'm not sure what is happening, but rather than reboot the computer when it refuses to connect like that, you might hit Cntr-Alt-Delete and look to see if an ASCOM driver is running and not responding. If so kill it and reconnect the scope.
      Alan

      On 13 March 2013 04:58, Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D. <smitchell@...> wrote:

      Hey Guys,

      I’ve recently gotten a new computer; windows i5, win7 32bit running everything off of a powered USB hub. Nothing connected to the computer but the scope (12” RCX400) and cameras (Meade DSI Pro II for guiding and QSI 683 mono for imaging). I’m getting everything all set back up and most things are working fine, but I’m having an issue evidently with the scope ASCOM driver (LX200R). After connecting, calibrating and guiding for some time, maybe 30 minutes to an hour, PHD hangs and I get an error that says “ASCOM connection has been lost”. At that point, I can’t reconnect to the scope, the camera won’t respond, nothing. I have to shut the program down, restart and sometimes that works, other times I have to shut the whole computer down and start everything all over.

      I have been thinking it was a power saver, perhaps the HHD or the computer going to sleep so tonight I made sure the Win7 power setting were on High Performance, so nothing goes to sleep or shuts off unless I tell it to. BTW: the hub, cables, etc are all the same ones that were working fine on the previous computer, only the PC was changed out.

      I’ll see if changing the power settings fixes it in another hour or so, but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and know if I’m on the right track or not. Any other ideas?

      Thanks,

      Steve

      Stephen C. Mitchell, Sr, OD

      Scopehill Observatory

      www.Scopehill.com

      12", RCX400

      Dr Alan Hewat, NeutronOptics, Grenoble, FRANCE
      <Alan.Hewat@...> +33.476.98.41.68
              http://www.NeutronOptics.com/hewat
    • Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013

        Thanks Alan,

        So far since I reset the power options and stopped everything from going to sleep, the problem hasn’t reoccurred in two nights. Must have been the problem.

        Steve