[ASCOM] Re: Celestron 8 GPS won't connect - Help if you please.

  • CLEMENTA
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
      Rick,

      My thanks to you and to Chris for your help... I'm not giving up quite yet. Aside from the ASCOM issue; I have talked to Celestron re using a newer HC. Seems they've had some degreee of success there. Mike Swanson (Nexstar Resource Site) relates this is possible on the GPS PROVIDED that the MC firmware is updated; something that can only be done by Celestron. I'm wonder what would happen if I were to just try using the HC without upgrading the MS firmware...

      Will take your advice re taking notes, trace logging and seeing if I can move the scope cross hairs on SMP via the HC to see if it moves in SMP. I recall doing that... but I didn't hunt for the current crosshair position; might have missed... as opposed to it wasn't there.

      Thanks again. I'll be in touch.

      Clement

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Rick Burke <astroman133@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > Not sure whether contacting SkyMap is feasible; I'm informed that its
      > > creator is no longer available due to severe medical issues. What bug
      > > with Windows 7?
      > >
      > > In talking to Celestron Tech Support; they specifically recommended
      > > the use of the Trendnet serial to USB adapter. They evaluated it in
      > > house and found it to be the best performer. Which is why I elected to
      > > purchase it.
      > >
      > > Please bear in mind that I only THINK that I know what I'm doing here.
      > > For instance; I am confused about whether installation of Platform 6
      > > SP1 overrides Skymap or if Skymap overrides Platform 6 or if they work
      > > together. I'm not even sure if loading Platform 6 and latest Celestron
      > > driver in the Skymap directory was proper.
      > >
      > > Celestron did mention something about North Align (compass). Maybe try
      > > dis-enabling GPS?
      > >
      > > Failing any success here; I plan on trying different HC's (Celestron
      > > reports they have had some success doing that).
      > >
      > > Thanks again... and still hoping you can help cure my "depression".
      > >
      > > Best Regards,
      > >
      > > Clement
      > >
      > > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com>, "Chris" <chris.rowland@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > There's no fundamental reason why your scope should not connect, but
      > > a number of reasons why it hasn't for you.
      > > >
      > > > Your description of the Skymap Pro config doesn't look like an ASCOM
      > > interface, what this gives you is a device chooser and a config dialog
      > > that doesn't mention HC version.
      > > >
      > > > But if you are using ASCOM...
      > > > First update ASCOM to Platform 6 SP1. This puts us all on the same
      > > level, there may also be things that help with serial communication.
      > > > Update the Celestron driver to the latest (5.0.30).
      > > > Try it. If Skymap Pro reports errors contact them. There's a known
      > > bug running it with W7.
      > > >
      > > > Communication errors will probably be the USB to serial connector,
      > > they are a nightmare, and some will work with one application but not
      > > another, or with different cable lengths, or USB connection
      > > arrangements. I don't know about a Trendnet USB adaptor, but reliable
      > > ones are the FTDI based ones, and the Edgeport. Some say the Keyspan
      > > is good.
      > > >
      > > > Hope this helps, if you need more we will need clear accurate
      > > descriptions of what you are doing and what happens.
      > > >
      > > > Chris
      > > >
      > > > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com

      > > running Windows 7 OS. Connected Celestron serial cable from bottom of
      > > HC hence to Trendnet serial to USB adapter (chks OK on DEVICE
      > > MANAGER). SkyMap Pro config is "Celestron", "GPS" and COM 3 (tried
      > > them all though; no joy). HC version < 4.0 (2.2). Celestron Tech
      > > Support says not possible to connect... something about losing a
      > > lawsuit with Meade. On the other hand; Why then is GPS listed as
      > > configurable in SkyMap Pro? Moroever,ASCOM platform configuration
      > > appears to support GPS; regardless of HC version.

    • Rick Burke
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2013
        Clement,

        Perhaps there is something different about your mount, but I have updated both the motor controller firmware and the hand controller firmware myself.  MCUpdate and HCUpdate are available for download from the Celestron web site.  When you download them, and connect the HC to the computer, they will tell you what updates are available and perform the update.

        The Celestron ASCOM driver works best with the latest firmware updates.

        Rick Burke