New instance on connect??

  • jbaj82
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
      Hi all,

      I'm using CCDAutoPilot, Maxim DL, FocusMax and AutoSlew (driver for ASA mount) to automate my setup. I noticed strange behavior when connecting to software through the ASCOM interface:

      I open Maxim DL to control my CCD, Autoslew to control my mount and FocusMax to control my focuser... so far so good. If I open CCDAutoPilot and connect to the hardware, new instances of AutoSlew, Maxim and FocusMax are opened, while there are connected instances already running. That isn't the way it should work, right? I thought that ASCOM is aware of all the running software, and if it is running it should connect instead of opening a new instance? Of course the new instance will fail to connect to the hardware, because there already is a connection with the former instance... I have to stop everything and let CCDAP open all the software, otherwise it won't work. I'm I missing something here??

      Regards,

      Jeffrey
    • JohnOnYahoo
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
        Hi Jeffrey,

        This is most likely not an ASCOM issue but rather a Windows one. In general, once an application such as Maxim or FocusMax is launched, linking to the COM object should not launch a second instance. If it does, then something is amiss in Windows.

        Please bring your question to the CCDAutoPilot5 support forum at:
        http://ccdware.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9997083106

        John
        http://www.hiddenloft.com
        CCDAutoPilot - Your complete Imaging Automation Solution
        http://www.ccdware.com

        On Mar 7, 2013, at 4:13 AM, 3/7/13, jbaj82 <jeffreyjongmans@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm using CCDAutoPilot, Maxim DL, FocusMax and AutoSlew (driver for ASA mount) to automate my setup. I noticed strange behavior when connecting to software through the ASCOM interface:
        >
        > I open Maxim DL to control my CCD, Autoslew to control my mount and FocusMax to control my focuser... so far so good. If I open CCDAutoPilot and connect to the hardware, new instances of AutoSlew, Maxim and FocusMax are opened, while there are connected instances already running. That isn't the way it should work, right? I thought that ASCOM is aware of all the running software, and if it is running it should connect instead of opening a new instance? Of course the new instance will fail to connect to the hardware, because there already is a connection with the former instance... I have to stop everything and let CCDAP open all the software, otherwise it won't work. I'm I missing something here??
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Jeffrey

      • Tom Galland
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013

          Jeffrey,

          I also use CCDAutoPilot, I also use Maxim and FocusMax but I use TheSky6 which I assume is what AutoSlew is for mount control. I was told when I started using AutoPilot to make sure you do not allow AutoPilot to open the software, you must open the other software first. I know you said that your routine was to open the other software first and the only thing different from my set up is AutoSlew so my first thought is that the AutoSlew may be the problem.

          I know AutoPilot will open the software for you but if you initiate the software first there should be no reason for AutoPilot to open another instance of it, I have never had a situation like you described, I just thought I would share my first thought with the use of AutoSlew, hope you can find a solution.

          Tom