Re: 32-bit driver issue on 64-bit machine

  • charles.bradshaw
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 22, 2013
      Did the focus pal software not work? I use it instead of the ASCOM driver. You might also ask Shoestring Astronomy.

      Charlie

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" wrote:

      > I have a customer who sent me this message:
      >
      > "I just ordered the FCUSB with the high hopes of remote control from
      > my WIN7 pro x64 laptop, but as I went to select the Shoestring FCUSB
      > from the ASCOM focuser chooser I get a message that "FCUSB.focuser" is
      > 32bit only and not compatible with 64 bit. How can I fix this?"
      >
      > I've not been able to reproduce the problem, not found information regarding this on www.ascom-standards.org, and not sure what to recommend to him.
      >
      > Can anybody here provide some insight?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Doug Anderson
      > Shoestring Astronomy

    • Chris Rowland
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 23, 2013
        This is all perfectly correct but there can be one further thing.

        Some devices, cameras in particular, may use a device specific driver
        that is 32 bits only. This will not work, nor will the attached ASCOM
        driver, even if it is compiled as any CPU and registered for 32 and 64
        bit operation.

        In this case the only option is to build the driver using the Local
        Server pattern. It will then run in it's own 32 bit process regardless
        of the application being 32 or 64 bits.

        This is not the case for most devices because their underlying device
        controller is a COM port and that's already 32 or 64 bits.

        Chris

      • Andrew Hood
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 23, 2013
          Tim Long wrote:
          > Technically, this isn't a problem with the app, it's a problem with the
          > driver. That's why Conform, Diagnostics and the Chooser produce those
          > messages. The idea is to encourage new driver writers to make their
          > drivers properly 64-bit compatible as 64-bit machines are firmly
          > mainstream now and the application software is slowly following.
          > Cartes-du-Ceil is probably the first major astro app to go 64-bit.

          Patrick is not building a 64 bit Windows version at the moment. There
          appears to be a bug in the compiler/runtime which I reported a couple of
          months ago that causes the 64 bit version to crash. The 32 bit version
          has been modified use DOSBox when running on 64 bit systems so you can
          generate Iridum flare predictions.

          Andrew
          -- Dr. Who
        • m1ss1nglink
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013
            Hi Charlie;

            I am the one that this thread is about. Yes, focuser pal does work on my system. But it is not ascom. The problem is that I want to use the auto focus feature of the "Bahtinov Grabber" with my brand new Shoestring FCUSB and my JMI motorized EV focuser. Shoestring and JMI both supply ascom drivers to the FCUSB but both of them give me the 32 bit driver in a 64 bit app error. Now Niels website has links to what are supposed to be both 32 and 64 bit versions of the Bahtinov Grabber with auto focus but again both give the same error as abvove. I have even found a version of the Bahtinov Grabber that is dated before the "going 64 bit" version (in case the latest 32 and 64 bit versions really are not different), and IT even gives the same error as above.
            I have tried the POTH route and although no error is popping up and manual control is working I can not get the auto focus feature to work.
            Is there anything I can do to get around this error? Can I set a registry entry or whatever to register one of these drivers as 64 bit manually until a 64 bit driver is available>

            Fly with Pegasus
            Len

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013
              It's a very long shot and It depends on how the driver was written. If
              it is a .NET driver that was compiled for 'Any CPU' then you stand a
              chance, otherwise forget it. If the codebase is capable of running in
              64-bit mode, then you might be able to add the necessary registry
              entries and have it work, if you are lucky. Are you in contact with the
              driver author?

              If you want to try this, look at the registry entries for a driver that
              already works. In the ProgID for the driver, you'll find a CLSID key
              with a GUID value. You should find that GUID in two places: one set of
              entries under the HKCR\CLSID key and another identical set under
              HKCR\WoW6432Node\CLSID. For a driver that needs to be registered for 64
              bit, you need to create the second set of entries under the WOW6432Node.
              That only takes care of the COM registration - the driver still has to
              be capable of running in a 64-bit process. And if none of this makes any
              sense to you, then you're probably better off not going down this route.

              It's a long shot but if you are careful then it might be worth a try.
              Please, make sure you have a full backup before hacking the registry.
              Don't say I didn't warn you.

              Best regards,
              Tim Long

              I am the one that this thread is about. Yes, focuser pal does work on
              my system. But it is not ascom. The problem is that I want to use the
              auto focus feature of the "Bahtinov Grabber" with my brand new
              Shoestring FCUSB and my JMI motorized EV focuser. Shoestring and JMI
              both supply ascom drivers to the FCUSB but both of them give me the 32
              bit driver in a 64 bit app error. Now Niels website has links to what
              are supposed to be both 32 and 64 bit versions of the Bahtinov Grabber
              with auto focus but again both give the same error as abvove. I have
              even found a version of the Bahtinov Grabber that is dated before the
              "going 64 bit" version (in case the latest 32 and 64 bit versions really
              are not different), and IT even gives the same error as above.
              I have tried the POTH route and although no error is popping up and
              manual control is working I can not get the auto focus feature to work.
              Is there anything I can do to get around this error? Can I set a
              registry entry or whatever to register one of these drivers as 64 bit
              manually until a 64 bit driver is available>

              Fly with Pegasus
              Len

              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "charles.bradshaw" wrote:

              > Did the focus pal software not work? I use it instead of the ASCOM
              driver. You might also ask Shoestring Astronomy.

              > Charlie
              >
              > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a customer who sent me this message:
              > >
              > > "I just ordered the FCUSB with the high hopes of remote control from

              > > my WIN7 pro x64 laptop, but as I went to select the Shoestring FCUSB

              > > from the ASCOM focuser chooser I get a message that "FCUSB.focuser"
              > > is 32bit only and not compatible with 64 bit. How can I fix this?"
              > >
              > > I've not been able to reproduce the problem, not found information
              regarding this on www.ascom-standards.org, and not sure what to
              recommend to him.

              > > Can anybody here provide some insight?
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance,
              > >
              > > Doug Anderson
              > > Shoestring Astronomy

              ExchangeDefender Message Security: Click below to verify authenticity
              http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=r0R5Yhe6027667&from=tim@...
              Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk
            • Len & Val Ward
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 26, 2013

                Hi Tim

                  Unfortunately, the author of the Batinov Grabber and its ascom driver is deceased, but the author of the JMI ascom driver may be available. Whay do you make of the 32 and 64 bit versions of the Batinov Grabber both giving the same error? What application is the error indicating is 64 bit? Why is it that a 32 app and a 32 bit driver can not work together?

                Fly with Pegasus

                Lewn

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                  The "32 bit" version of the Bahtinov grabber was compiled as "Any CPU"
                  rather than x86 so it runs as 64 bits on a 64 bit system.

                  What's needed is a version that's compiled as x86, I don't know if the
                  executable could be modified in this way without a recompile.

                  Maybe someone could take on maintaining this, the copyright is with
                  Niels' estate of course so they would need to give permission. If they
                  don't have the sources the executable could be disassembled.

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                    If that's the case, then simply adding the 64-bit registration to the registry may work. I know nothing about the products being discussed so I'm presenting this purely from a technical viewpoint.

                    Certainly, it should be possible to reverse-engineer the source code; technically that is not a huge chalenge. The difficult problem is going to be getting permission to do so. If someone gets permission to do it, I don’t mind having a go.

                    Best regards,
                    Tim Long

                    http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=r0RGnwaw012285&from=tim@...
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                      This is a 64 bit application and so will not load 32 bit dlls. It needs
                      to be a 32 bit application. Registering isn't relevant.

                      The sources can be regenerated using something like IL Spy. How
                      difficult getting permission will be I can't say, maybe nothing more
                      than asking.

                      Chris

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                        Hi Chris;

                        If the app that you are reffering to as being 64 bit is the Bahtinov Grabber then Something is amiss because I have tried two different 32 bit versions of the app and still get the same error. I have to say that I do not know anything about programming so I will offer up the symptoms that I have and hope for you guys to be able to straighten me, my PC or this software out. I for one will be extreamly happy if you guys would get the permission to work on the Bahtinov Grabber and its ASCOM driver and/or give Doug of Shoestring a hand at reworking his ASCOM driver.

                        Fly with Pegasus
                        Len

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013

                          In that case I may have misunderstood the problem (I thought the problem was that the ASCOM driver was just missing its 64-bit registration, which might actually be the case if the author has followed the guidelines to target 'Any CPU').

                          Assuming then that the app needs to be forced to run as 32-bit, I found this on the web, it may help:

                          Modify the 32-bit flag in the assembly

                          This solution is intended for use by those that are not able to modify the build options.  The assembly header has a number of flags including one called 32BIT.  The CorFlags conversion tool allows you to modify the values of various flags, including the 32BIT flag.  You can use the following command to force the assembly to require a 32-bit process:

                          CorFlags MyAssembly.exe /32BIT+

                          The following command will clear the flag:

                          CorFlags MyAssembly.exe /32BIT-

                          Best regards,

                          Tim Long

                          This is a 64 bit application and so will not load 32 bit dlls.  It needs to be a 32 bit application. Registering isn't relevant.

                          The sources can be regenerated using something like IL Spy.  How difficult getting permission will be I can't say, maybe nothing more than asking.

                          Chris

                          On 27/01/2013 16:49, Tim Long wrote:

                          > If that's the case, then simply adding the 64-bit registration to the registry may work. I know nothing about the products being discussed so I'm presenting this purely from a technical viewpoint.

                          > Certainly, it should be possible to reverse-engineer the source code; technically that is not a huge chalenge. The difficult problem is going to be getting permission to do so. If someone gets permission to do it, I don’t mind having a go.

                          > Best regards,

                          > Tim Long

                          <*> Your email settings:

                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:

                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:

                              ASCOM-Talk-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              ASCOM-Talk-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          TiGra MailDefender Message Security: Check Authenticity
                          Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from TiGra Networks
                          Before replying, please review our email policy

                        • Chris Rowland
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                            I'm talking about the version of Bahtinov Grabber that is claimed to be
                            32 bit, it isn't. It is compiled as Any CPU. This means it will be 32
                            bits on a 32 bit OS but 64 bits on a 64 bit OS.

                            Tim's suggestion about modifying the exe works, but there's still the
                            permission issue if someone wants to release this

                            Chris

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                              I wouldn’t contemplate releasing a hacked assembly, because there's no way I would be able to support it. Rather, I would suggest that everyone affected should apply the workaround themselves (this neatly side-steps the permission issue as an added bonus). As far as we know, it's only 1 person affected at this point.

                              Best regards,
                              Tim Long

                              I'm talking about the version of Bahtinov Grabber that is claimed to be
                              32 bit, it isn't. It is compiled as Any CPU. This means it will be 32 bits on a 32 bit OS but 64 bits on a 64 bit OS.

                              Tim's suggestion about modifying the exe works, but there's still the permission issue if someone wants to release this

                              Chris

                              On 27/01/2013 21:05, Len & Val Ward wrote:
                              > Hi Chris;
                              >
                              > If the app that you are reffering to as being 64 bit is the Bahtinov Grabber then Something is amiss because I have tried two different 32 bit versions of the app and still get the same error. I have to say that I do not know anything about programming so I will offer up the symptoms that I have and hope for you guys to be able to straighten me, my PC or this software out. I for one will be extreamly happy if you guys would get the permission to work on the Bahtinov Grabber and its ASCOM driver and/or give Doug of Shoestring a hand at reworking his ASCOM driver.
                              >
                              > Fly with Pegasus
                              > Len

                              http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=r0RMItDO004226&from=tim@...
                              Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk
                            • mihalco
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                                Hi Len,
                                To summarize what Chris and Tim have said, the problem really isn't with ASCOM. First, the so called 32-bit version of Bahtinov Grabber really isn't 32-bit. It was compiled with an option (ANYCPU) which means it will run as 32-bit on a 32-bit system and as 64-bit on a 64-bit system. This was an error on the programmer's part. Also, the FCUSB driver is ONLY 32-bit compatible. Together, this is why you are getting the same error, even though you were running the so called 32-bit version of Bahtinov Mask. That said, Tim offers you something to try. Mark the .exe file of the 32-bit software using the CorFlags utility. This will force it to run as 32-bit, even on a 64-bit machine (an after-the-fact way of fixing the programmers error). Another option would be to have the author of the ASCOM driver for the FCUSB make their ASCOM driver 64-bit compatible. For now, I would try Tim's suggestion, as if it works, you will have an immediate solution. I don't believe it's the ASCOM developers responsibility to take the lead to fix problems in 3rd party applications or ASCOM drivers provided by hardware manufacturers. That falls on the customer. You paid them for a working product - they should provide support for it.
                                Regards,
                                Kurt

                                --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Len & Val Ward wrote:

                                > Hi Chris;
                                >
                                > If the app that you are reffering to as being 64 bit is the Bahtinov Grabber then Something is amiss because I have tried two different 32 bit versions of the app and still get the same error. I have to say that I do not know anything about programming so I will offer up the symptoms that I have and hope for you guys to be able to straighten me, my PC or this software out. I for one will be extreamly happy if you guys would get the permission to work on the Bahtinov Grabber and its ASCOM driver and/or give Doug of Shoestring a hand at reworking his ASCOM driver.
                                >
                                > Fly with Pegasus
                                > Len
                                Nsnip>
                              • Len & Val Ward
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                                  Tim;

                                  I tried to run the CorFlags command in a command prompt but My system does not seem to have the CorFlags command.

                                  Fly with Pegasus
                                  Len

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                                    Hi Kurt;

                                    OK I think I understand what you are saying. But did you notice that I mentioned trying two different versions of the 32 bit app? One of them was from back around 2009 "Ver 10.0" before the author started to make a 64 bit version. Would it also have been set with the ANYCPU? As for me moding the app myself, I do not have Visual Studio 2010. So I can not run CorFlags.

                                    Fly with Pegasus
                                    Len

                                    To summarize what Chris and Tim have said, the problem really isn't with ASCOM. First, the so called 32-bit version of Bahtinov Grabber really isn't 32-bit. It was compiled with an option (ANYCPU) which means it will run as 32-bit on a 32-bit system and as 64-bit on a 64-bit system. This was an error on the programmer's part. Also, the FCUSB driver is ONLY 32-bit compatible. Together, this is why you are getting the same error, even though you were running the so called 32-bit version of Bahtinov Mask. That said, Tim offers you something to try. Mark the .exe file of the 32-bit software using the CorFlags utility. This will force it to run as 32-bit, even on a 64-bit machine (an after-the-fact way of fixing the programmers error). Another option would be to have the author of the ASCOM driver for the FCUSB make their ASCOM driver 64-bit compatible. For now, I would try Tim's suggestion, as if it works, you will have an immediate solution. I don't believe it's the ASCOM developers responsibility to take the lead to fix problems in 3rd party applications or ASCOM drivers provided by hardware manufacturers. That falls on the customer. You paid them for a working product - they should provide support for it.
                                    Regards,
                                    Kurt

                                    --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Len & Val Ward wrote:

                                    > Hi Chris;
                                    >
                                    > If the app that you are reffering to as being 64 bit is the Bahtinov Grabber then Something is amiss because I have tried two different 32 bit versions of the app and still get the same error. I have to say that I do not know anything about programming so I will offer up the symptoms that I have and hope for you guys to be able to straighten me, my PC or this software out. I for one will be extreamly happy if you guys would get the permission to work on the Bahtinov Grabber and its ASCOM driver and/or give Doug of Shoestring a hand at reworking his ASCOM driver.
                                    >
                                    > Fly with Pegasus
                                    > Len
                                    Nsnip>
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 27, 2013
                                      You have to download it. If you re-read my post, there is a hyperlink to the download. Honestly, typing 'corflags' into Google would have got you that far.

                                      Best regards,
                                      Tim Long

                                      http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=r0S6ZMLn020861&from=tim@...
                                      Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk