SetPark Problem.

  • Howard Anderson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2012
    Hi ,

    I think SetPark was broken in release 6 with respect to the
    "Meade Classic and Autostar 1" driver?

    I am running release 6 with all updates and all ACP updates
    and the latest version of the "Meade Classic and Autostar I"
    driver. I think I am as current as I know how to be...

    I wrote a script in release 5 to do a SetPark.
    The script is attached and you would need to remove the
    ".txt" suffix and run it in ACP with the telescope unparked
    and disconnected in ACP. It will display the coordinates
    and will not change anything unless you give it a go ahead...
    (Actually it won't change anything currently as seen below...)

    The script is supposed to get the current coordinates from
    the scope using:

    RA = Scope.RightAscension
    Dec = Scope.Declination

    Those functions used to return the current coordinates that you
    would see on the Meade hand paddle. Now they ALWAYS return
    the park position that I established under release 5
    instead of the current postion of the scope. So my script now
    always sets the park position to the position that was established
    months ago instead of the current scope position.

    Also, if I use the ASCOM "Telescope Chooser", and specify
    "Meade Classic and Autostar I" then hit "Properties", the
    "Set Park Position" and "Reset Park Position" are greyed out.
    No way to set them. Those might have always been that way
    even in release 5? (Else why did I have to write my own script?)

    In any case I spent about 10 hours trying LOTS of things. Nothing worked.
    I could not park my remote scope and get the roof to close because the
    park position needed to be moved three degrees West so that the magnetic
    switch would close. I found NO way to enter coordinates in order
    to force the returned values to be different from the old park position
    values.

    I also tried a variation where I allowed ACP to continue to leave
    the scope connected, nudged the scope slightly to make sure
    a new RA and Dec should be available. This script is also attached
    and is "SetParkMeadeyyy.vbs.txt". (Again, remove .txt suffix
    and run in ACP to see it work...) This script merely displays
    the retrieved RA and Dec values which are ALWAYS returned
    as 00 00 00 and 000 00 00.

    I found NO way to set the park position programmatically...

    EXCEPT - In desperation, I figured our where the park values were stored.
    I would have expected them to be in Hours and Degrees but for some
    reason, they are very inconveniently in Azimuth and Elevation.:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\ASCOM\Telescope Drivers\MeadeEx.Telescope

    Old Values New Values
    ParkAlt .450277777777778 -> .550000000000000
    ParkAZ 177.315555555556 -> 183.0000000000000

    Alt is in Radians
    AZ is in degrees

    I adjusted values by the seat-of-my-pants and established a new park
    position
    which now allows the magnetic switches to close and the Foster board now
    allows the roof to close and open.

    Then I later discovered this which makes the RA/Dec to Az/El calculation:

    http://www.convertalot.com/celestial_horizon_co-ordinates_calculator.html

    I don't know why I needed to establish a new park position. Everything had
    been working well. But then it failed on Sunday...

    Gene Turner at Rancho Hidalgo was kind enough to look at my scopes to see
    that the magnets and switches had not moved but that the park position
    looked
    like it needed to be moved 3 degrees west. Otherwise I would have had to
    have made a 600 mile round trip to resolve the primary issue.

    Really would like an easier way to do this before I have to write
    an RA/Dec to AzEl conversion routine and directly update the registry...

    Thanks,

    Howard
    http://www.astroshow.com
    http://www.azcendant.com
  • besubmail
    Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2012
      Peter,
      added it in folder !Brian (also a log file produced when logged in as Administrator.
      Thanks for any advice you can give.

      Virus checkers: I always uninstall whatever Windows virus software comes free on a machine and replace it with free version of avg which is light, effective and causes no trouble at all (so I would be surprised if this avg virus software caused this problem, I trust it a lot).

      Brian

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Simpson" <peter@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > 23:56:10.403 FinaliseInstall Starting finalise process
      > > 23:56:10.411 FinaliseInstall Successfully got type for
      > DriverHelper.Profile
      > > 23:56:10.415 FinaliseInstall Exception:
      > System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
      > > Parameter name: type
      > > at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
      > > at ConsoleApplication1.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\ASCOM
      > Build\Export\Releases\ASCOM
      > 6\FinaliseInstall\FinaliseInstall\Program.cs:line 40
      > >
      > > Then I installed latest .net, same error.
      > > An earlier recent thread discussed this error message, and it was
      > fixed by doing something in regedit, but not I am sure what.
      > >
      > > 1. is there a linux version of ascom (I feel more at home in linux)
      > > 2. If not, what do I have to do to W7 to make it possible to install
      > ascom? My laptop is dell xps, 64 bit, intel i7,dual boot (linux Mint or
      > w7 with avg virus checker).
      > >
      > > I was able to run ASCOM Diagnostics to make a huge log beginning with:
      > > 00:22:45.396 Diagnostics Version 6.0.0.0, 6.0.10028.2207
      > > 00:22:45.396
      > > 00:22:45.396 Date 05/11/2012 00:22:45
      > > 00:22:45.405 TimeZoneName W. Europe Standard Time
      > > 00:22:45.405 TimeZoneOffset 1
      > > 00:22:45.405 UTCDate 04/11/2012 23:22:45
      > > 00:22:45.406 Julian date 2456236.47413663
      > > 00:22:45.406
      > > 00:22:45.406 CurrentCulture English (United Kingdom) en-GB
      > Decimal Separator "." Number Group Separator ","
      > > 00:22:45.406 CurrentUICulture English (United States) en-US
      > Decimal Separator "." Number Group Separator ","
      > > 00:22:45.406
      > > 00:22:45.415 Platform 5A Not installed
      > > 00:22:45.415
      > > 00:22:45.415 Platform 5B Not installed
      > > 00:22:45.415
      > > 00:22:45.415 Platform 5.5 Not Installed
      > > 00:22:45.415
      > > 00:22:45.416 Platform 6 ASCOM Platform 6 - SP1
      > > 00:22:45.416 Platform 6 Version - 6.0.0.0
      > > 00:22:45.416 Platform 6 Install Date - Not known
      > > 00:22:45.416 Platform 6 Install Location - C:\Program
      > Files (x86)\ASCOM\Platform 6
      > > 00:22:45.416
      > > 00:22:45.416 Platform 6 Developer Not installed
      > > 00:22:45.416
      > > 00:22:45.416
      > > 00:22:45.416 Versions Main Process: C:\Program Files
      > (x86)\ASCOM\Platform 6\Tools\ASCOM Diagnostics.exe
      > > 00:22:45.417 Versions Product: ASCOM Diagnostics
      > 6.0.10028.2207
      > > 00:22:45.417 Versions File: ASCOM Diagnostics
      > 6.0.10028.2207
      > > 00:22:45.417 Versions Language: Language Neutral
      > > 00:22:45.417
      > > 00:22:45.417 Versions OS Version: 2, Service Pack:
      > Service Pack 1, Full: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
      > > 00:22:45.417 Versions Operating system is 64bit
      > > 00:22:45.417 Versions Application is 64bit
      > >
      > > "ASCOM Platform 6" does appear in All Programs. When I try to install
      > AstroPhysics V2 Setup v5.05.00 from ap website I get message 'The ASCOM
      > Platform 5 is required for this driver'.

    • Peter Simpson
      Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2012
        Hi Brian,

        Thanks, I can now see that the registry permissions on one of the registry hives are not as set by Microsoft "out of the box". This is the case for a small number of machines and we've never been able to identofy the root cause.

        I'll mail you with a couple of approaches for remedying this, after which the install should go OK.

      • Chris Peterson
        Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2012
          I concur that something has changed in the behavior of the driver,
          although I don't see your particular problem. In my case, my unpark
          script no longer unparks the scope... I have to manually remove the
          scope from LAND mode and place it in POLAR mode. The script does
          properly park the scope, using the park coordinates I set a long time
          ago. I haven't spent time trying to track down where things are going
          wrong yet.

          Parking coordinates should always be in altitude and azimuth, since they
          are, by definition, horizon based. It would make absolutely no sense to
          park using polar coordinates, so I can't understand what you're trying
          to do in that respect, or why you need to make a conversion. Parking is
          implemented by putting the scope into LAND mode, which uses altaz
          coordinates, and then slewing it to the park position.

          Chris

          *******************************
          Chris L Peterson
          Cloudbait Observatory
          http://www.cloudbait.com

        • Howard Anderson
          Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2012
            Hi Chris,

            Thanks for verifying that something changed...

            OK.  Understand now about Az/El.  Since I alway work/think in RA/Dec,
            I did not even THINK to look closely at the ACP data.  :-)  I didn't
            even SEE the Az and Alt fields.  :-)

            This is what my current park position looks like:

            Was I right about the ParkAlt being in radians?  I don't
            think so now.  Still trying to see how Alt of .03 (above) relates
            to my registry value of ParkAlt  = 0.55.
            ( 0.55/.03 = 18.3.  I don't see that as anything
             recognizable.  What is 18.3?)

            Looks like it could be 3 x 6.28 or 3 times 2 Pi radians?
            Why 3?  (3 x 6.28 = 18.84)  Maybe a confusion factor to
            keep people like me from fiddling with it?  :-)

            So it would save time to go directly from the Az/Alt values
            given by ACP if I could be sure of the Alt conversion factor.

            Hopefully I will never have to reset my park position again...
            I didn't think I'd ever have to reset it until yesterday...
            However I like to be prepared for all eventualities if possible.
            I do need to be sure to get it right if I ever have to do it again.
            Being several hundred miles from the scope and getting it
            wrong could be a disaster...

            All I was trying to do was convert from RA and Dec to whatever
            was stored in ParkAlt and ParkAz.  Was looking at it the hard
            way I guess.  :-)

            Thanks MUCH for responding to this Chris.

            Howard
            http://www.astroshow.com

          • Chris Peterson
            Message 6 of 12 , Nov 6, 2012
              I can't explain what you are seeing. My registry value correctly shows
              the actual defined park position, both altitude and azimuth expressed in
              degrees.

              ParkAlt 6.08
              ParkAx 180.00

              That is, the park position is 6 degrees above the southern horizon.
              That's what I set, that's where it goes when I park, it knows where it
              is when I unpark (although, as I noted, I have to use the paddle to take
              it out of LAND mode).

              Chris

              *******************************
              Chris L Peterson
              Cloudbait Observatory
              http://www.cloudbait.com

              On 11/6/2012 8:00 AM, Howard Anderson wrote:
              > Hi Chris,
              >
              > Thanks for verifying that something changed...
              >
              > OK. Understand now about Az/El. Since I alway work/think in RA/Dec,
              > I did not even THINK to look closely at the ACP data. :-) I didn't
              > even SEE the Az and Alt fields. :-)
              >
              > This is what my current park position looks like:
              >

              > Was I right about the ParkAlt being in radians? I don't
              > think so now. Still trying to see how Alt of .03 (above) relates
              > to my registry value of ParkAlt = 0.55.
              > ( 0.55/.03 = 18.3. I don't see that as anything
              > recognizable. What is 18.3?)
              >
              > Looks like it could be 3 x 6.28 or 3 times 2 Pi radians?
              > Why 3? (3 x 6.28 = 18.84) Maybe a confusion factor to
              > keep people like me from fiddling with it? :-)
              >
              > So it would save time to go directly from the Az/Alt values
              > given by ACP if I could be sure of the Alt conversion factor.
              >
              > Hopefully I will never have to reset my park position again...
              > I didn't think I'd ever have to reset it until yesterday...
              > However I like to be prepared for all eventualities if possible.
              > I do need to be sure to get it right if I ever have to do it again.
              > Being several hundred miles from the scope and getting it
              > wrong could be a disaster...
              >
              > All I was trying to do was convert from RA and Dec to whatever
              > was stored in ParkAlt and ParkAz. Was looking at it the hard
              > way I guess. :-)
              >
              > Thanks MUCH for responding to this Chris.
              >
              > Howard
              > http://www.astroshow.com
            • Howard Anderson
              Message 7 of 12 , Nov 6, 2012
                Hi Chris,

                OK, thanks much.  Maybe some sort of round-off error
                I am seeing near zero.  (When I was in SPACETRACK in the 60's,
                the sin and cos routines written by Philco used a Taylor
                series with a fixed number of iterations.  We discovered that
                the accuracy of the sin and cos varied with the angle.  :-)  This
                did not help our satellite tracking...  We rewrote the routines...)

                I only have about an inch or two of roll-off-roof clearance when
                parked.  I have to get it pretty close to zero altitude.  Below
                zero creates a problem in ACP where somebody decided that
                if the altitude is less than zero, you cannot "nudge" the scope.
                That has occasionally been quite bothersome.  :-)

                I will study this some more...

                Your observation of settings really helps!  I won't now
                be looking for weird conversion factors that don't exist...  :-)

                Thanks,

                Howard

              • besubmail
                Message 8 of 12 , Nov 6, 2012
                  Peter,
                  thanks, that worked (option 2), I emailed you the logs.

                • Chris
                  Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012
                    I've just seen a very similar problem with registering MaxIm DL that was caused by a registry checker/cleaner application. The registry checker seemed to have increased the protection on the registry that prevented writing - or possibly even reading - vital areas of the registry.

                    I wonder if something similar is happening here, a lot of this protection software may be assuming that it should prevent any software installation, even if the user wants it.

                    Chris