Tracking bug with SkyX and ComSoft TCS

  • timbrothers0
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2012
      So I can get ASCOM 6p1 and SkyX to talk to each other via the ComSoft PC-TCS driver. It tracks, slews, parks. But there's a couple problems I'm having since I switched to SkyX/ASCOM from Sky6/TeleAPI. One is that the mount starts tracking after initialization (not safe!). The other is that the mount can be un-parked (will start tracking) after being parked by turning on tracking. But it still says it is parked in error message and you can't slew. The only way to get out of this catch -22 is to disconnect in the sky, then reconnect even though the mount is still tracking, then you can slew/park etc. again.

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi --

        This is a bit difficult to diagnose because thers is no evidence to help pinpoint where this stuff is happening. I suggested on the phone the other day that you interpose the Pipe diagnostic tool between TheSky X (which is using the X2 plugin for ASCOM) and the PC-TCS driver. You will then be able to see what is going on between those two and thus will be able to see whether the tracking/parking/etc. issues are originating in TheSky or in the PC-TCS driver. If you can post the results from that I'll be happy to aid in diagnosis.

          -- Bob

        So I can get ASCOM 6p1 and SkyX to talk to each other via the ComSoft PC-TCS driver.  It tracks, slews, parks.  But there's  a couple problems I'm having since I switched to SkyX/ASCOM from Sky6/TeleAPI.   One is that the mount starts tracking after initialization (not safe!).  The other is that the mount can be un-parked (will start tracking) after being parked by turning on tracking.  But it still says it is parked in error message and you can't slew.  The only way to get out of this catch -22 is to disconnect in the sky, then reconnect even though the mount is still tracking, then you can slew/park etc.  again.

        Thanks!

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            ASCOM-Talk-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ASCOM-Talk-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • timbrothers0
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 2012
          Bob
          I had to reinstall everything due to a lightning strike and thought maybe that would help but no luck. The Pipe tool simply doesn't work with PC-TCS on my system and coughs up a lengthy ASCOM error message. I'll try to post an image of the error tomorrow. But I'm not sure how to get any further since even that doesn't work. By the way I'm running this on a W7-64bit system with SkyX Pro.