Re: ASCOM Limit switches mount/motor safety

  • Hartmut
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2012
      Mike,

      I would never trust a software controlled limit switch. Such a construct can be without any effect when your computer or application should fail.

      Please see my example of a simple power circuit switch which stops the mount near the horizon or in case of a power failure:

      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MBCsT7MSfmnFY-Bkre733Wl8joZexEaqjRoZoJOrMsEUStMr98919lhUa_xMsDPe97XcgPJpI0ulu2sDXJROl35JZw/HVB/TelescopeProtection.pdf>

      Hartmut

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikerushford@...> wrote:

      > Does ASCOM software or Driver software monitor mount for safety?
      >
      > Do limit switches protect motors from striping or breaking the drive system?
      >
      > Are limit switches used to define HOME?

    • Chris Peterson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2012
        Normally, the proper way to handle things is to have your basic limit
        switches be software controlled, but to back those up with hard limit
        switches that simply shut off power to the unit or to the motors. You
        should never hit those unless something goes really wrong... but you
        want them there if the device can hurt itself beyond some position.

        Chris

        Chris L Peterson
        Cloudbait Observatory
        http://www.cloudbait.com

        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2012
          I'll add that the ASCOM interfaces are designed to support observing. How the mounts make themselves "better" (PEC, models, etc.) or "safer" (slew limits, etc.) are the responsibility of the hardware and logic, including the controller and the driver, for that specific type of telescope.

          -- Bob