Re: ASCOM5 vs ASCOM6 - application compatibility

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2012
      Is the application that is giving trouble early bound? AFAIK that won't work, we spent some time trying and couldn't get things to work so reverted to the original scheme where the interfaces are late bound only.

      Chris

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Simpson" <peter@...> wrote:

      > Hi Brett,
      > I can successfully use the Platform 6 camera simulator, which exposes
      > ICameraV2, from within Maxim DL v5.14 and I'm pretty confident Maxim is
      > an ICameraV1 client application. This is a pretty good test of backwards
      > compatibility.
      > I suspect that you aren't on the right path with your thoughts on
      > inheritance, can you expand more on "won't connect"? Do you have a
      > successful Conform run for your v2 driver?
      > Regards, Peter
      > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "bretm151" <bretm@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings:
      > >
      > > I have a problem that I think I have figured out the answer to, but
      > since I don't like that answer, I wanted to check with the experts here.
      > >
      > > When ASCOM6 released, it claimed backwards compatibility with ASCOM5.
      > But I think that claim applies to drivers, and not to applications.
      > >
      > > I have an image capture application that I like, and it works with
      > ASCOM5/ICameraV1. I now have an ASCOM6/ICameraV2 driver that it will
      > not connect to. Thinking I probably messed something up, I created a
      > new V2 driver (just the generated template), and it won't connect to the
      > that either.
      > >
      > > Looking deeper, I was surprised to see that ICameraV2 is not derived
      > from ICameraV1. I think this means that until an application at can
      > deal with ICameraV1 cameras is modified, it will not be able to talk to
      > an ICameraV2 device. This seems like a serious issue, it makes me
      > suspect that I'm missing something, although this matches the behavior
      > that I am seeing.
      > >
      > > Thoughts? Have I missed something?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Bret

    • R J Hamlett
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2012
        > --- InASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "bretm151"<bretm@...> wrote:
        >> Greetings:
        >>
        >> I have a problem that I think I have figured out the answer to, but
        > since I don't like that answer, I wanted to check with the experts here.
        >> When ASCOM6 released, it claimed backwards compatibility with ASCOM5.
        > But I think that claim applies to drivers, and not to applications.
        >> I have an image capture application that I like, and it works with
        > ASCOM5/ICameraV1. I now have an ASCOM6/ICameraV2 driver that it will
        > not connect to. Thinking I probably messed something up, I created a
        > new V2 driver (just the generated template), and it won't connect to the
        > that either.
        >> Looking deeper, I was surprised to see that ICameraV2 is not derived
        > from ICameraV1. I think this means that until an application at can
        > deal with ICameraV1 cameras is modified, it will not be able to talk to
        > an ICameraV2 device. This seems like a serious issue, it makes me
        > suspect that I'm missing something, although this matches the behavior
        > that I am seeing.
        >> Thoughts? Have I missed something?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >>
        >> Bret

        Not sure if this might apply, but there were a few things that check
        'for' a particular ASCOM version, rather than checking for a version _or
        higher_. These then give problems with the later system.
        Fortunately ASCOM allows you to change the reported version for such
        applications. Might be worth trying. - though your problem appears to be
        lower level than this, always worth trying such things first.

        Best Wishes
      • bretm151
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2012
          Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do a bit more digging and see if I can figure out what is going on.

          Bret
        • dc3dreamer
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2012
            Is there a resolution to this? I am really interested in killing the OWT of ASCOM 5 which pre-dates all of the Vista/Win7 security changes!