Re: [ASCOM] NexStar 5 and Celestron 5.0.23

  • Joseph Shuster
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 24 4:25 PM
      Chris,

      I'm pretty sure I help test the V1.0 (V0.1?) instance of the Celestron driver using this same NexStar 5 back in the olden days. And I also recall demonstrating the combination of the driver, NexStar and CDC to some people. So it must have worked at some point in time.

      There's no such thing as a "firmware upgrade" for the telescope so that's not an issue. It did go back to the factory for a repair, but IIRC that was well before the two incidents above.

      What's a good Celestron-native application that can test my gear outside of ASCOM?

      Joe

      On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Chris <chris_group_mail@...> wrote:

      Joe, I've not forgotten. The data that the logs return from the scope looks correct so it's a bit of a mystery why the Ra and Dec are not getting updated. I may have to make a simple scope simulator to see what's going on.

      The 80GT uses yet another protocol, there are 5 different ones.

      Chris

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Shuster <iamhondo@...> wrote:

      > Also, I dug out my old NexStar 80GT mount (to tell the truth -- a Tasco
      > 80GT) to try the same test. With the 80GT, CDC could read back the RA/DEC
      > accurately so the driver can read RA/DEC on that smaller dinosaur, but not
      > on the medium (N5) dinosaur.
      > Joe
      >
      > On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Joseph Shuster <iamhondo@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Chris,
      > >
      > > I uploaded two serial logs to the Joe Shuster > 18-April-2012 folder.
      > > While I was capturing the logs I narrated and demoed on a video you can see
      > > at http://www.screencast.com/t/TvKjEPrq
      > >
      > > I think you have the location and time information you need. (My local
      > > time is US Central Daylight Time.) But if you need more details, let me
      > > know.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Joe

    • Chris Rowland
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 25 12:52 AM
        I've found the problem, it is an effect of the way that strings are
        handled and may have come in when we moved to the .NET based serial driver.

        I am getting the data from the scope using ReceiveCounted(4) and that's
        returning a 4 character unicode string which has a length of 8 bytes.
        I should be using ReceiveCountedBinary(4), that returns 4 bytes and
        works. All the other types of driver use this, it was just the NexStar
        5 and 8 protocol that was missed.

        The snag is that I've been doing a fair bit of other changes that
        haven't come to anything and I need to back those out and do enough
        testing that I'm confident that nothing else is broken. That's what is
        taking the time.

        Chris