Re: [ASCOM] Meade Serial Command Question

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 24 9:44 AM
      Todd, please be nice to people, especially those who are trying to help.

      As Chris P says the information you want is installed on your system as part of the ASCOM installation. I'm not sure if it's with the main installation or the developer installation but you need to install both if you're developing.

      Start -> All Programs ->ASCOM Platform 6 -> Help and Device Interface Standards.
      The ASCOM.DeviceInterface Namespace section has definitions of all the current ASCOM standards.

      It's also available in the ASCOM Developer Help manual that's in the Developer Documentation, that's also on your system.

      Chris

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Todd Wessendorf <todd.wessendorf@...> wrote:

      > What is this Standards Documentation everyone keeps referencing? Google
      > search sends me to ASCOM page to download developer tools, and in that
      > download, there a bunch of documents in the Developer Documentation folder,
      > but nothing called "Standards".
      >
      > Also, don't really appreciate the RTFM reference, Tim. Either help or shut
      > up.
      >
      > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Tim Long <Tim@...> wrote:
      >

      > > It looks like you're developing a driver. The other replies already posted
      > > to this thread are all contain good information. I wanted to just add these
      > > general comments about driver development. ****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > It's probably best not to try and second guess the application and just
      > > implement your driver according to the ASCOM standards document. If you do
      > > so, your driver will work with all applications. During development, I like
      > > to use Conform as my testing framework, because it essentially gives you a
      > > `to do list'. You just work down the list fixing one issue at a time until
      > > they're all gone, then your driver is done, and it will work with whatever
      > > application you want to use.****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > It should be immediately obvious what you need to do in your driver for
      > > each property or method; this is all very well documented in the standards
      > > documentation. If in doubt – RTFM <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM>. If
      > > the app is trying to slew to RA/Dec coordinates then it will call a method
      > > that takes Ra/Dec parameters. The app knows which methods to call to get
      > > its job done – you just need to make sure you implement those methods
      > > correctly according to the standards.****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > In the event that your mount can't handle a certain type of coordinates or
      > > command then you have two choices. You can either declare that your driver
      > > doesn't support that facility by returning False in the relevant Can*
      > > property, or you can attempt to do a coordinate conversion or simulate the
      > > feature by somehow composing other features. No one approach is correct and
      > > will depend on circumstances, but I tend to err on the side of declaring
      > > unsupported features as such, at least in the first version of a driver.**
      > > **
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > The vast majority of astronomy applications will always use equatorial
      > > (RA/Dec) coordinates, so you should focus most of your effort there. There
      > > are a few corner cases where AltAz slewing is desirable, but these are
      > > fairly uncommon. If your hardware supports AltAz slewing internally then it
      > > should be easy enough to add that feature to your driver – otherwise just
      > > declare it as not supported by returning False for CanSlewAltAz (etc).****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > --Tim Long****
      > >
      > > ** **
      > >
      > > ** **

    • Todd Wessendorf

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 24 6:19 PM
          After installing the ASCOM Platform (not the developer bits), Windows Start menu, All Programs, ASCOM Platform 6, Help and Device Interface Standards.

            -- Bob