Re: [ASCOM] Meade Serial Command Question

  • johansea
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 23 2:05 PM
      :MA is not "normally" be used for any "astronomical" work.

      I only ever use it when doing specific diagnostic testing
      that requires me to start at a specific "mechanical" position.
      ie
      a) scope tracks badly at a certain HA/DEC ( HA not RA )
      b) PEC testing when i want to go to the same start point each time

      Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Pass <rppass@...> wrote:

      > In SlewToCoordinates or SlewToCoordinatesAsync you would set the target
      > RA and target Dec from the values passed and then call SlewToTarget or
      > SlewToTargetAsync (which are calls to issue MS)
      >
      > In SlewToAzAlt or SlewToAzAltAsync I set the Altitude and Azimuth from
      > the passed values and then issue a MA command (there is no ASCOM defined
      > command equivalent to SlewToTarget or SlewToTargetAsync which by spec
      > are to equatorial coordinates while SlewToAzAlt and SlewToAzAltAsync are
      > to horizontal coordinates).
      >
      > Ralph
      >

      > On 4/23/12 2:53 PM, Todd Wessendorf wrote:
      > > I'm assuming it works this way:
      > >
      > > The right-click simply sends two numbers to the ASCOM driver, as well
      > > as a request to slew there.
      > >
      > > In the driver, the two numbers have to be set as target coordinates
      > > (Sr, Sa, Sd or Sz) and then SlewToAltAzAsync or SlewToCoordinates (I
      > > think) needs to be called which then calls DoSlewAsync where MS or MA
      > > is sent depending on what the coordinates are.
      > >
      > > Is this not how it works?
      > >
      > > On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Ralph Pass <rppass@...
      > > <mailto:rppass@...>> wrote:
      > >

      > > I do not use StarryNight, but if the option is Slew to and it is
      > > RA and Dec, then I would assume that it would issue the MS command.
      > >
      > > So why would you set and call MS or MA if StarryNight is picking
      > > the object and slewing.
      > >
      > > Just a bit confused.
      > >
      > > Ralph Pass
      > >

      > > On 4/23/12 11:54 AM, yodie.geo wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Thanks, Ralph and Andrew - this helps out perfectly!
      > >>
      > >> Just trying to figure out . . . . when I right-click in
      > >> StarryNight, and select Slew to "xxxxxxx" . . . what is it
      > >> sending? RA/DEC coordinates or Alt/Az coordinates. I would guess
      > >> it is sending ra/dec, but not sure. Knowing this will determine
      > >> if I set and then call MS or MA, I would think.

      > >> --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com
      > >> <mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com>, "johansea" <johansea@>

      > >> set RA and

    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 23 2:48 PM
        In over 11 years of analyzing serial traces involving Meade scopes and various ASCOM (and proprietary) client planetarium apps (StarryNight, TheSky, etc)... i have NEVER seen them try to use Alt/Az coordinates.
        100% of them end up calling the ASCOM driver such that
        the RA and DEC are sent, then an :MS# to command the motion.

        have fun
        --dick

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 24 6:14 AM

          It looks like you’re developing a driver. The other replies already posted to this thread are all contain good information. I wanted to just add these general comments about driver development.

          It’s probably best not to try and second guess the application and just implement your driver according to the ASCOM standards document. If you do so, your driver will work with all applications. During development, I like to use Conform as my testing framework, because it essentially gives you a ‘to do list’. You just work down the list fixing one issue at a time until they’re all gone, then your driver is done, and it will work with whatever application you want to use.

          It should be immediately obvious what you need to do in your driver for each property or method; this is all very well documented in the standards documentation. If in doubt – RTFM. If the app is trying to slew to RA/Dec coordinates then it will call a method that takes Ra/Dec parameters. The app knows which methods to call to get its job done – you just need to make sure you implement those methods correctly according to the standards.

          In the event that your mount can’t handle a certain type of coordinates or command then you have two choices. You can either declare that your driver doesn’t support that facility by returning False in the relevant Can* property, or you can attempt to do a coordinate conversion or simulate the feature by somehow composing other features. No one approach is correct and will depend on circumstances, but I tend to err on the side of declaring unsupported features as such, at least in the first version of a driver.

          The vast majority of astronomy applications will always use equatorial (RA/Dec) coordinates, so you should focus most of your effort there. There are a few corner cases where AltAz slewing is desirable, but these are fairly uncommon. If your hardware supports AltAz slewing internally then it should be easy enough to add that feature to your driver – otherwise just declare it as not supported by returning False for CanSlewAltAz (etc).

          --Tim Long

          On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Ralph Pass <rppass@...> wrote:

          I do not use StarryNight, but if the option is Slew to and it is RA and Dec, then I would assume that it would issue the MS command.

          So why would you set and call MS or MA if StarryNight is picking the object and slewing.

          Just a bit confused.

          Ralph Pass

          On 4/23/12 11:54 AM, yodie.geo wrote:

          Thanks, Ralph and Andrew - this helps out perfectly!

          Just trying to figure out . . . . when I right-click in StarryNight, and select Slew to "xxxxxxx" . . . what is it sending? RA/DEC coordinates or Alt/Az coordinates. I would guess it is sending ra/dec, but not sure. Knowing this will determine if I set and then call MS or MA, I would think.

          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:

          > One other gotcha
          > :MS# uses the target RA/DEC as set by ( :Sr / :Sd )
          > and leaves you tracking after the goto.
          > :MA# uses the target Alt/Az as set by ( :Sa / :Sz )
          > and sets you to terrestrial on completion ( ie tracking off )
          > Soo, if you use :MA to go to a specific sky position,
          > you must manually reset the scope to astronomical
          > before it will track.
          >
          > Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
          >
          > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Pass <rppass@> wrote:
          > >
          > > You need to set a target before the slew. In the MS case you set RA and
          > > Dec, in the MA case you set Az, El.
          > > Ralph
          > >

          > > On 4/21/12 7:48 AM, yodie.geo wrote:
          > > >
          > > > For my Meade programmers out there . . .
          > > >
          > > > What is the difference between :MS# and :MA# ?
          > > >
          > > > Todd

          Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from TiGra Networks
          Before replying, please review our email policy

        • Todd Wessendorf
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 24 7:15 AM
            Thanks Dick.  That was my assumption, but wanted verification.

            On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM, autostaretx <rseymour@...> wrote:
            In over 11 years of analyzing serial traces involving Meade scopes and various ASCOM (and proprietary) client planetarium apps (StarryNight, TheSky, etc)... i have NEVER seen them try to use Alt/Az coordinates.
            100% of them end up calling the ASCOM driver such that
            the RA and DEC are sent, then an :MS# to command the motion.

            have fun
            --dick

            --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:

            > :MA is not "normally" be used for any "astronomical" work.
            >
            > I only ever use it when doing specific diagnostic testing
            > that requires me to start at a specific "mechanical" position.
            > ie
            > a) scope tracks badly at a certain HA/DEC  ( HA not RA )
            > b) PEC testing when i want to go to the same start point each time
            >
            > Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
            >
            > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Pass <rppass@> wrote:
            > >
            > > In SlewToCoordinates or SlewToCoordinatesAsync you would set the target
            > > RA and target Dec from the values passed and then call SlewToTarget or
            > > SlewToTargetAsync (which are calls to issue MS)
            > >
            > > In SlewToAzAlt or SlewToAzAltAsync  I set the Altitude and Azimuth from
            > > the passed values and then issue a MA command (there is no ASCOM defined
            > > command equivalent to SlewToTarget or SlewToTargetAsync which by spec
            > > are to equatorial coordinates while SlewToAzAlt and SlewToAzAltAsync are
            > > to horizontal coordinates).
            > >
            > > Ralph
            > >

            > > On 4/23/12 2:53 PM, Todd Wessendorf wrote:
            > > > I'm assuming it works this way:
            > > >
            > > > The right-click simply sends two numbers to the ASCOM driver, as well
            > > > as a request to slew there.
            > > >
            > > > In the driver, the two numbers have to be set as target coordinates
            > > > (Sr, Sa, Sd or Sz) and then SlewToAltAzAsync or SlewToCoordinates (I
            > > > think) needs to be called which then calls DoSlewAsync where MS or MA
            > > > is sent depending on what the coordinates are.
            > > >
            > > > Is this not how it works?
            > > >
            > > > On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Ralph Pass <rppass@
            > > > <mailto:rppass@>> wrote:
            > > >

            > > >     I do not use StarryNight, but if the option is Slew to and it is
            > > >     RA and Dec, then I would assume that it would issue the MS command.
            > > >
            > > >     So why would you set and call MS or MA if StarryNight is picking
            > > >     the object and slewing.
            > > >
            > > >     Just a bit confused.
            > > >
            > > >     Ralph Pass

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               ASCOM-Talk-digest@yahoogroups.com
               ASCOM-Talk-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Todd Wessendorf

              The right-click simply sends two numbers to the ASCOM driver, as well as a request to slew there.

              In the driver, the two numbers have to be set as target coordinates (Sr, Sa, Sd or Sz) and then SlewToAltAzAsync or SlewToCoordinates (I think) needs to be called which then calls DoSlewAsync where MS or MA is sent depending on what the coordinates are.

              Is this not how it works?

              On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Ralph Pass <rppass@...> wrote:

              I do not use StarryNight, but if the option is Slew to and it is RA and Dec, then I would assume that it would issue the MS command.

              So why would you set and call MS or MA if StarryNight is picking the object and slewing.

              Just a bit confused.

              Ralph Pass

              On 4/23/12 11:54 AM, yodie.geo wrote:

              Thanks, Ralph and Andrew - this helps out perfectly!

              Just trying to figure out . . . . when I right-click in StarryNight, and select Slew to "xxxxxxx" . . . what is it sending? RA/DEC coordinates or Alt/Az coordinates. I would guess it is sending ra/dec, but not sure. Knowing this will determine if I set and then call MS or MA, I would think.

              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:

              > One other gotcha
              > :MS# uses the target RA/DEC as set by ( :Sr / :Sd )
              > and leaves you tracking after the goto.
              > :MA# uses the target Alt/Az as set by ( :Sa / :Sz )
              > and sets you to terrestrial on completion ( ie tracking off )
              > Soo, if you use :MA to go to a specific sky position,
              > you must manually reset the scope to astronomical
              > before it will track.
              >
              > Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
              >
              > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Pass <rppass@> wrote:
              > >
              > > You need to set a target before the slew. In the MS case you set RA and
              > > Dec, in the MA case you set Az, El.
              > > Ralph
              > >

              > > On 4/21/12 7:48 AM, yodie.geo wrote:
              > > >
              > > > For my Meade programmers out there . . .
              > > >
              > > > What is the difference between :MS# and :MA# ?
              > > >
              > > > Todd

              Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from TiGra Networks
              Before replying, please review our email policy

            • Chris Peterson
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 24 9:28 AM
                When you install ASCOM, you are given the option of also installing all
                the developer documents. Those are what you need to write a driver.
                Those are what you need to read. What I'm describing here is also what
                you find under the "Standards" menu on the ASCOM website.

                Chris

                *******************************
                Chris L Peterson
                Cloudbait Observatory
                http://www.cloudbait.com

                On 4/24/2012 8:19 AM, Todd Wessendorf wrote:
                > What is this Standards Documentation everyone keeps referencing? Google
                > search sends me to ASCOM page to download developer tools, and in that
                > download, there a bunch of documents in the Developer Documentation folder,
                > but nothing called "Standards".
                >
                > Also, don't really appreciate the RTFM reference, Tim. Either help or shut
                > up.
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 24 9:44 AM
                  Todd, please be nice to people, especially those who are trying to help.

                  As Chris P says the information you want is installed on your system as part of the ASCOM installation. I'm not sure if it's with the main installation or the developer installation but you need to install both if you're developing.

                  Start -> All Programs ->ASCOM Platform 6 -> Help and Device Interface Standards.
                  The ASCOM.DeviceInterface Namespace section has definitions of all the current ASCOM standards.

                  It's also available in the ASCOM Developer Help manual that's in the Developer Documentation, that's also on your system.

                  Chris

                  --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Todd Wessendorf <todd.wessendorf@...> wrote:

                  > What is this Standards Documentation everyone keeps referencing? Google
                  > search sends me to ASCOM page to download developer tools, and in that
                  > download, there a bunch of documents in the Developer Documentation folder,
                  > but nothing called "Standards".
                  >
                  > Also, don't really appreciate the RTFM reference, Tim. Either help or shut
                  > up.
                  >
                  > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Tim Long <Tim@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > It looks like you're developing a driver. The other replies already posted
                  > > to this thread are all contain good information. I wanted to just add these
                  > > general comments about driver development. ****
                  > >
                  > > ** **
                  > >
                  > > It's probably best not to try and second guess the application and just
                  > > implement your driver according to the ASCOM standards document. If you do
                  > > so, your driver will work with all applications. During development, I like
                  > > to use Conform as my testing framework, because it essentially gives you a
                  > > `to do list'. You just work down the list fixing one issue at a time until
                  > > they're all gone, then your driver is done, and it will work with whatever
                  > > application you want to use.****
                  > >
                  > > ** **
                  > >
                  > > It should be immediately obvious what you need to do in your driver for
                  > > each property or method; this is all very well documented in the standards
                  > > documentation. If in doubt – RTFM <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM>. If
                  > > the app is trying to slew to RA/Dec coordinates then it will call a method
                  > > that takes Ra/Dec parameters. The app knows which methods to call to get
                  > > its job done – you just need to make sure you implement those methods
                  > > correctly according to the standards.****
                  > >
                  > > ** **
                  > >
                  > > In the event that your mount can't handle a certain type of coordinates or
                  > > command then you have two choices. You can either declare that your driver
                  > > doesn't support that facility by returning False in the relevant Can*
                  > > property, or you can attempt to do a coordinate conversion or simulate the
                  > > feature by somehow composing other features. No one approach is correct and
                  > > will depend on circumstances, but I tend to err on the side of declaring
                  > > unsupported features as such, at least in the first version of a driver.**
                  > > **
                  > >
                  > > ** **
                  > >
                  > > The vast majority of astronomy applications will always use equatorial
                  > > (RA/Dec) coordinates, so you should focus most of your effort there. There
                  > > are a few corner cases where AltAz slewing is desirable, but these are
                  > > fairly uncommon. If your hardware supports AltAz slewing internally then it
                  > > should be easy enough to add that feature to your driver – otherwise just
                  > > declare it as not supported by returning False for CanSlewAltAz (etc).****
                  > >
                  > > ** **
                  > >
                  > > --Tim Long****
                  > >
                  > > ** **
                  > >
                  > > ** **

                • Todd Wessendorf

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 24 6:19 PM
                      After installing the ASCOM Platform (not the developer bits), Windows Start menu, All Programs, ASCOM Platform 6, Help and Device Interface Standards.

                        -- Bob