Re: [ASCOM] Next Problem: COM failed to register

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 21 8:08 PM
      Tim --

      Precisely my argument. I was not automatically referring to VB6. I was referring to the other dozen+ languages that can use these objects, and more importantly making the point that ASCOM is language independent.

        -- Bob

      On Apr 21, 2012, at 14:22, "Tim Long" <Tim@...> wrote:

      It’s a convenient label that gets my message across and is shorter to type than "code not written in .NET". From Wikipedia:

      Legacy code is source code that related to a no-longer supported[citation needed] or manufactured operating system or other computer technology. The term can also mean code inserted into modern software for the purpose of maintaining an older or previously supported feature — for example supporting a serial interface even though many modern systems do not have a serial port. It may also be in the form of supporting older file formats[citation needed] that may have been encoding in non-ASCII characters, such as EBCDIC[citation needed]

      I thin k in the context I made the comment (i.e. in the context of developing a .net project in visual studio) the term is appropriate. But I take your point. The ‘code not developed using .NET’ may be contemporary and therefore not legacy.

      --Tim

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 21 10:53 PM
        > Precisely my argument. I was not automatically referring to VB6. I was referring to the other dozen+ languages
        > that can use these objects, and more importantly making the point that ASCOM is language independent.

        Besides that very important point (i.e., ASCOM's language independence) I think that .Net DLLs are in the very small minority compared to "normal DLLs". I bet that almost all of the DLLs shipped with Windows 7 and 8 are normal DLLs.

        -Ray Gralak
        Author of Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 21 11:47 PM
          I think that using judgemental or emotive language is out of place in a thread that's trying to provide support. Using these terms tends to provoke people into responding defensively and that gets in the way of solving the problem.

          For some reason a lot of discussions of software is couched in very emotional ways. I think it's a shame. It turns what should be a rational debate into an emotional confrontation.

          Chris

          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@...> wrote:

          > Tim --
          >
          > Precisely my argument. I was not automatically referring to VB6. I was referring to the other dozen+ languages that can use these objects, and more importantly making the point that ASCOM is language independent.
          >
          > -- Bob
          >

          > On Apr 21, 2012, at 14:22, "Tim Long" <Tim@...> wrote:
          >

          > > It’s a convenient label that gets my message across and is shorter to type than "code not written in .NET". From Wikipedia:
          > >
          > > Legacy code is source code that related to a no-longer supported[citation needed] or manufactured operating system or other computer technology. The term can also mean code inserted into modern software for the purpose of maintaining an older or previously supported feature â€" for example supporting a serial interface even though many modern systems do not have a serial port. It may also be in the form of supporting older file formats[citation needed] that may have been encoding in non-ASCII characters, such as EBCDIC[citation needed]
          > >
          > > I thin k in the context I made the comment (i.e. in the context of developing a .net project in visual studio) the term is appropriate. But I take your point. The ‘code not developed using .NET’ may be contemporary and therefore not legacy.
          > >
          > > --Tim

        • Greg Marshall
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 22 12:01 AM
            And perhaps more to the point, as the person originally asking the question, I have no idea what any of you are talking about!  All I care about is that the problem is solved, thanks to Chris.

            Greg

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 22 6:52 AM
              Well, I'm sorry if people take offence at my use of language. As I pointed out, in the specific context I made the comment, the context of developing a .net solution in visual studio, I felt it was appropriate. I even put 'legacy' in quotes and defined it to mean a 'non .NET dll'. I often use those terms both within and outside of ASCOM, in the specific context of developing a .net solution, because that's how people developing in .net tend to view 'native' code and it is perfectly clear what I mean if you are a .net developer developing a .net solution. The original poster understood exactly what I meant. If people infer a different meaning then, well, people need to learn to lighten up a bit. It's not judgemental, It's just a label, for heaven's sake, there's no need to call the language police. I'm constantly amazed how people take offence at nothing.
              --Tim

              I think that using judgemental or emotive language is out of place in a thread that's trying to provide support. Using these terms tends to provoke people into responding defensively and that gets in the way of solving the problem.

              For some reason a lot of discussions of software is couched in very emotional ways. I think it's a shame. It turns what should be a rational debate into an emotional confrontation.

              Chris

              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@...> wrote:

              > Tim --
              >
              > Precisely my argument. I was not automatically referring to VB6. I was referring to the other dozen+ languages that can use these objects, and more importantly making the point that ASCOM is language independent.
              >
              > -- Bob
              >

              > On Apr 21, 2012, at 14:22, "Tim Long" <Tim@...> wrote:
              >

              > > It’s a convenient label that gets my message across and is shorter to type than "code not written in .NET". From Wikipedia:
              > >
              > > Legacy code is source code that related to a no-longer
              > > supported[citation needed] or manufactured operating system or other
              > > computer technology. The term can also mean code inserted into
              > > modern software for the purpose of maintaining an older or
              > > previously supported feature â€" for example supporting a serial
              > > interface even though many modern systems do not have a serial port.
              > > It may also be in the form of supporting older file formats[citation
              > > needed] that may have been encoding in non-ASCII characters, such as
              > > EBCDIC[citation needed]
              > >
              > > I thin k in the context I made the comment (i.e. in the context of developing a .net project in visual studio) the term is appropriate. But I take your point. The ‘code not developed using .NET’ may be contemporary and therefore not legacy.
              > >
              > > --Tim

              ExchangeDefender Message Security: Click below to verify authenticity
              http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=q3MDqot0013736&from=tim@...
              Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 23 8:41 AM
                Greg --

                I apologize. I'm the person who touched that off. I should have mentioned my concern privately and not in your support thread.

                -- Bob

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 23 10:44 AM
                  No problem, guys.  When it comes to Windows software, being totally confused is normal for me.

                  Thanks,