Re: [ASCOM] Tutorial on ASCOM

  • waynewatson95959
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19 1:33 PM
      Thanks for your response. I discovered that last night when I decided to install the software.

      I probably need to go the ASCOM site to see the standards and maybe some explanation of how to write programs for the standard in say VB, Python or whatever.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19 8:05 PM
        Wayne,

        Make sure you've downloaded and installed the Developer Tools from the
        ASCOM-Standards web site. This will give you some Visual Studio
        templates and a comprehensive help file. Also, make sure to read the
        Developers section of the web site.

        --Tim Long

        Thanks for your response. I discovered that last night when I decided to
        install the software.

        I probably need to go the ASCOM site to see the standards and maybe some
        explanation of how to write programs for the standard in say VB, Python
        or whatever.

        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@...> wrote:

        > I'm not too clear on your question, but MaxDome implements the Dome
        standard interface that you will find in the interface standards
        document that is part of the ASCOM platform.

        > -- Bob
        >

        > On Apr 18, 2012, at 12:56, "waynewatson95959" <sierra_mtnview@...>
        wrote:

        > > I'm guessing that ASCOM provides an interface through software to
        astro hardware. Are there any tutorials on how it might work for various
        languages.

        > > My particular reason for posting here is that I'm using a Cyanogen
        DomeMax-II kit to automate shutters in my obs. The shutters already work
        manually. Motors and such do the work.

        > > I at the stage of buying equipment to start into this. Inverters,
        relay switches, etc. I have not yet installed their software. In
        thinking about this, there may be a case with one shutter that II won't
        handle. I may have to intervene somehow to provide the feature. I have
        no idea if ASCOM provides some mechanism to do this via some software I
        might write. Probably I need to ask Cyanogen, but I thought I give this
        a shot to see what ASCOM is about software, and hardware wise.

        ExchangeDefender Message Security: Click below to verify authenticity
        http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=q3K35LPv001025&from=tim@...
        Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20 8:38 AM
          Also PLEASE read the Developer information on the ASCOM web site at http://ASCOM-standards.org/Developer/Index.htm.