Re: pc-tcs (comsoft) ascom driver

  • lfoastro
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 18 10:38 PM
      Hello,

      any advice ?

      Thanks

      Laurent

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 20 8:34 AM
        Can you be a bit more clear? What do you mean "stops working"?

        -- Bob

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21 9:45 AM
          Hi Bob,
          When using Maximdl. Using telescope or dome menu; under ascom driver chooser:
          I select comsoft PC-tcs combined driver, confirm the pc-tcs ascom com port number. Then I click ok on ascom window chooser. Then I click on maximdl "connect" button; then Maximdl frezees and I do not have anymore access to Maximdl. (While on the other computer pc-tcs is still running fine but not showing it is exchanging datas through the active Com port; as it does when communicating directly with thesky). It looks like maximdl/ascom driver is in "closed loop" permanently trying to connect to the other computer without success.
          Hope this clarification will help you.
          laurent

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21 8:06 PM
            How long did you wait? Eventually some sort of error should appear. The text of that error should help. Wait at least 60 seconds.

            -- Bob

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 23 9:29 AM
              Hi Bob,
              After 4 minutes Maxim is not returning anything.
              Under Windows tasks manager: pc-tcs status is shwon as "no response"
              If I try to connect to pc-tcs through POTH then a poth small window
              opens with the folowing messsage: An action can not be completed. Pctcs
              driver doesnot answer. Choose "switch to" active component and correct
              the problem.
              I posted ascom logs files & diagnostics in the Files section under LFO
              subdirectory:

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24 6:15 PM
                Hi --

                It truly sounds like there is no comm between the driver and PC-TCS. It is not a problem with the ASCOM Platform, just in case you're thinking in that direction :-) At this point I can't do any troubleshooting... The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the ACL commands and responses are framed in Merlin Network Control Protocol (MNCP) packets . Yes it is a packet protocol on a serial connection. It s checksummed and has error recovery. Note that TheSky's MNCP/ACL implementation does not do checksumming nor does it do error recovery. Perhaps there is a setting in the PC-TCS that might affect this. Have you asked Dave Harvey for help? In any case, I am powerless to help you without being there and verifying that serial commands are working. I know you said it works with TheSky. I can't explain it, but concluding that the driver is that badly bugged and just doesn't work is probably not a productive direction to go on. Oh, also try the ACL Telescope driver.

                -- Bob

                On Apr 23, 2012, at 9:29, "lfoastro" <fournet09@...> wrote:

                > Hi Bob,
                > After 4 minutes Maxim is not returning anything.
                > Under Windows tasks manager: pc-tcs status is shwon as "no response"
                > If I try to connect to pc-tcs through POTH then a poth small window
                > opens with the folowing messsage: An action can not be completed. Pctcs
                > driver doesnot answer. Choose "switch to" active component and correct
                > the problem.
                > I posted ascom logs files & diagnostics in the Files section under LFO
                > subdirectory:
                > thanks
                > laurent
              • lfoastro
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 25 7:39 AM
                  Hi Bob,
                  Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to check PC-TCS configuration for checksumming and ask Dave . I'll keep you informed.
                  Laurent

                  --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@...> wrote:

                  > Hi --
                  >
                  > It truly sounds like there is no comm between the driver and PC-TCS. It is not a problem with the ASCOM Platform, just in case you're thinking in that direction :-) At this point I can't do any troubleshooting... The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the ACL commands and responses are framed in Merlin Network Control Protocol (MNCP) packets . Yes it is a packet protocol on a serial connection. It s checksummed and has error recovery. Note that TheSky's MNCP/ACL implementation does not do checksumming nor does it do error recovery. Perhaps there is a setting in the PC-TCS that might affect this. Have you asked Dave Harvey for help? In any case, I am powerless to help you without being there and verifying that serial commands are working. I know you said it works with TheSky. I can't explain it, but concluding that the driver is that badly bugged and just doesn't work is probably not a productive direction to go on. Oh, also try the ACL Telescope driver.
                  >
                  > -- Bob
                  >

                  > On Apr 23, 2012, at 9:29, "lfoastro" <fournet09@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi Bob,
                  > > After 4 minutes Maxim is not returning anything.
                  > > Under Windows tasks manager: pc-tcs status is shwon as "no response"
                  > > If I try to connect to pc-tcs through POTH then a poth small window
                  > > opens with the folowing messsage: An action can not be completed. Pctcs
                  > > driver doesnot answer. Choose "switch to" active component and correct
                  > > the problem.
                  > > I posted ascom logs files & diagnostics in the Files section under LFO
                  > > subdirectory:
                  > > thanks
                  > > laurent

                • lfoastro
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 12, 2012
                    Hi Bob,
                    I tried to be in touch with Dave (using its comsoft e-mail address) but without any success; do you know at which e-mail adress I could reach him ?
                    Thks for your help

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 13, 2012
                      Laurent --

                      Dave is not in a position to do PC-TCS support right now. We all need to wish him well.

                      -- Bob