Re: [ASCOM] ASCOM, ServoCAT, 64bit Win7

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18 8:47 PM
      What do you mean "won't slew"? Does it show any error? Or does it silently fail to slew? Try to connect with the POTH utility that comes with the ASCOM platform. Can you slew with that tool?

      -- Bob

      On Apr 18, 2012, at 12:37, "jwswitzer2" <jswitzer42@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have the ServoCAT driver working under ASCOM on a 64bit Win 7 system? If so, what did you do to get it to work? I am using Deep Sky Planner for the application software.
      >
      > I have it working on XP 32bit and Win7 32bit, but the same setup on a 64bit system does not work. I get a readout of the RA and DEC values, which are correct, but the scope will not slew using the 64bit system.
      >
      > I have contacted Peter E. and have been told that the driver should work on a 64bit system.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any help and/or direction that can be provided.
      >
      > John Switzer
      > 15" Obsession (ArgoNavis and ServoCAT)

    • peschman2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19 1:08 PM
        Hi John,

        Actually, my earlier email to you said "Yes, the driver works under Win7
        64-bit", not that it should work. The ASCOM ServoCAT driver v4.4.4 passed
        all conformance tests using Windows 64-bit before it was released last fall.

        I think Bob's suggestion is a good one, so please try using POTH and the
        motion control buttons. Also, be sure that your ArgoNavis is in mode:
        Catalog, From Planetarium

        Another option is to download a copy of Sky Charts (a free download) and try
        using that in place of Deep Sky Planner. If you try Sky Charts (Cartes du
        Ciel), be sure to download the 32-bit version, since the 64-bit version is
        not fully debugged at this time. You can find Sky Charts here:
        http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/index.php

        Peter Eschman
        Developer of the ASCOM ServoCAT driver

        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@...> wrote:

        > What do you mean "won't slew"? Does it show any error? Or does it silently fail to slew? Try to connect with the POTH utility that comes with the ASCOM platform. Can you slew with that tool?
        >
        > -- Bob
        >
        > On Apr 18, 2012, at 12:37, "jwswitzer2" <jswitzer42@...> wrote:
        > > Does anyone have the ServoCAT driver working under ASCOM on a 64bit Win 7 system? If so, what did you do to get it to work? I am using Deep Sky Planner for the application software.
        > >
        > > I have it working on XP 32bit and Win7 32bit, but the same setup on a 64bit system does not work. I get a readout of the RA and DEC values, which are correct, but the scope will not slew using the 64bit system.
        > >
        > > I have contacted Peter E. and have been told that the driver should work on a 64bit system.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for any help and/or direction that can be provided.
        > >
        > > John Switzer
        > > 15" Obsession (ArgoNavis and ServoCAT)
      • jwswitzer2
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19 4:14 PM
          Thanks to both Bob and Peter for your suggestions. I will give both POTH and Sky Charts a try when I get a chance. I have had the scope set up in the living room for two weeks and took it down yesterday as a favor to my wife, so it may be a couple of days before I get another shot at it.

          As is usual with me, I did not give as much info as I could have when I made my original posting. I failed to mention that I am attempting to connect to the scope via bluetooth. That may be the culprit in this whole issue. ASCOM and bluetooth work correctly on both my XP and Win7 32bit systems, but not on the Win7 64bit system.

          In answer to your question about slewing, nothing happens. No slew, no error message. If I remember correctly, DeepSkyPlanner just locks up. Also, I get the same results using The Sky6 Serious Astronomer Edition using ASCOM and bluetooth (The Sky plugin is installed). The Sky6 and DeepSkyPlanner both report the correct RA and DEC when connected. In The Sky6, the telescope target shows up on the screen identifying the object that the scope is pointing at, but no slew, no error message.

          FWIW, The Sky6 works correctly an all systems using bluetooth with its internal ServoCAT connection protocol.

          I have not attempted to try using ASCOM with a serial cable.

          Thanks again for your help.

          John Switzer
          Center Point, IN

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20 8:28 AM
            Peter,

            I downoaded and ran the ASCOM Compliance Check App. I received the following message:

            "Incompatible Driver (ServoCAT.Telescope}
            This 32 bit driver won't work in a 64bit application even though it is correctly registered as a 32bit COM driver. Please contgact the driver author and request an updated driver."

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20 9:21 AM
              Conform needs to bed run in 32-bit mode when testing 32-bit drivers
              under Windows 64-bit. It may be best to continue this thread by
              private email, especially in light of BlueTooth connection issues.
              I tried repeatedly to get Bluetooth to Serial working under Windows
              7 64-bit, and finally concluded that it is not a realistic solution
              for me

              Peter Eschman

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 20 10:05 AM
                Peter,

                Thanks for the update. Let me know where to go from here.

                John