Re: [ASCOM] Tutorial on ASCOM

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18 8:44 PM
      I'm not too clear on your question, but MaxDome implements the Dome standard interface that you will find in the interface standards document that is part of the ASCOM platform.

      -- Bob

      On Apr 18, 2012, at 12:56, "waynewatson95959" <sierra_mtnview@...> wrote:

      > I'm guessing that ASCOM provides an interface through software to astro hardware. Are there any tutorials on how it might work for various languages.
      >
      > My particular reason for posting here is that I'm using a Cyanogen DomeMax-II kit to automate shutters in my obs. The shutters already work manually. Motors and such do the work.
      >
      > I at the stage of buying equipment to start into this. Inverters, relay switches, etc. I have not yet installed their software. In thinking about this, there may be a case with one shutter that II won't handle. I may have to intervene somehow to provide the feature. I have no idea if ASCOM provides some mechanism to do this via some software I might write. Probably I need to ask Cyanogen, but I thought I give this a shot to see what ASCOM is about software, and hardware wise.

    • waynewatson95959
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19 1:33 PM
        Thanks for your response. I discovered that last night when I decided to install the software.

        I probably need to go the ASCOM site to see the standards and maybe some explanation of how to write programs for the standard in say VB, Python or whatever.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19 8:05 PM
          Wayne,

          Make sure you've downloaded and installed the Developer Tools from the
          ASCOM-Standards web site. This will give you some Visual Studio
          templates and a comprehensive help file. Also, make sure to read the
          Developers section of the web site.

          --Tim Long

          Thanks for your response. I discovered that last night when I decided to
          install the software.

          I probably need to go the ASCOM site to see the standards and maybe some
          explanation of how to write programs for the standard in say VB, Python
          or whatever.

          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@...> wrote:

          > I'm not too clear on your question, but MaxDome implements the Dome
          standard interface that you will find in the interface standards
          document that is part of the ASCOM platform.

          > -- Bob
          >

          > On Apr 18, 2012, at 12:56, "waynewatson95959" <sierra_mtnview@...>
          wrote:

          > > I'm guessing that ASCOM provides an interface through software to
          astro hardware. Are there any tutorials on how it might work for various
          languages.

          > > My particular reason for posting here is that I'm using a Cyanogen
          DomeMax-II kit to automate shutters in my obs. The shutters already work
          manually. Motors and such do the work.

          > > I at the stage of buying equipment to start into this. Inverters,
          relay switches, etc. I have not yet installed their software. In
          thinking about this, there may be a case with one shutter that II won't
          handle. I may have to intervene somehow to provide the feature. I have
          no idea if ASCOM provides some mechanism to do this via some software I
          might write. Probably I need to ask Cyanogen, but I thought I give this
          a shot to see what ASCOM is about software, and hardware wise.

          ExchangeDefender Message Security: Click below to verify authenticity
          http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=q3K35LPv001025&from=tim@...
          Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 20 8:38 AM
            Also PLEASE read the Developer information on the ASCOM web site at http://ASCOM-standards.org/Developer/Index.htm.