Re: [ASCOM] ASCOM as a tool to write software.

  • Mike Pooler
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16 7:30 PM
      Gentalmen
      ACP is not the only way... But it is the best way.

      You can right VBS,,JavaScript or C# to do any and all of the things you may want to do and attch the drivers via Ascom.

      For me if I tried and do all of those things I would be old and grey before my scope would even move. I paid the $ for Bob to write the code and I never regreated it.
      One thing to note is that ACP is open to scripts so you can build on what ACP does and customize it to your needs.

      Ok enogh with the sales pitch.
      GO BOB !!!

      Mike Pooler

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Long" <Tim@...> wrote:

      > What you've said is self-contradictory. It clearly _is_ possible to do all those things, because that (as you pointed out) is what ACP does. ACP is not the only automation software out there, either.
      >
      > What is not possible? Which part of the code are you having trouble writing?
      >
      > --Tim Long

    • Astro
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 17 2:31 AM
        Tim,

        Ah but not self contradictory!!
        As I said Unless..

        But I want to write a custom process to do all those things without buying Maxim, Focusmax, Pinpoint, ACP or any other software.

        I have already written an autoscript generator for Astroart5.0 ( http://www.astro.me.uk )  but I would like to write a completely freeware package for control using open source or freeware elements written in vbs or Freebasic.  Astroart has some problems when it comes to scripted automation that I cannot overcome because of the lack of status checking script commands.

        I think guiding is the real problem.  I think I can find a way to get fits images from the ascom packages. I am currently trying FITS.dll  to get images.
        Guiding using PHD Socket or Port control might be a solution and I am looking at it with help from Craig Stark. I currently do not have a simple test .vbs code segment to do this.

        FocusMax only works with Maxim or CCD so this is another challenge but it is freeware..  I may have to write a C++ version of Focusmax to work with ASCOM camera when I can get a fits image out!!

        Any ideas on these would be helpful.
        Example camera test code:

        exposuretime = 2
        filename = "img.fits"
        id2 ="ASCOM.Simulator.Camera"
        Set camera = CreateObject(id2)
        camera.Connected = True
        If Camera.Connected Then
         If camera.CanSetCCDTemperature Then
             camera.CoolerOn = True
             camera.SetCCDTemperature = -10
         End if
         camera.StartExposure exposuretime, True
         While Not Camera.ImageReady
            Wait(1)
         Wend
         Set image = CreateObject("FITS.Image")
          image.ImageArrayVariant = camera.ImageArrayVariant
          pixelarray = camera.ImageArrayVariant
          'msgbox (pixelarray(100,100))
          'msgbox (pixelarray(1100,1100))
          image.WriteToFile filename
        Else
          MsgBox "Not connected to camera"
        End if

        Function Wait( tx)
        Dim ts ,te
        ts = Timer
              While te < tx
                 te = Timer - ts
              Wend
        End   Function

        Regards,

        John M

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 17 7:01 AM
          Mike,

          I'm doing this.
          It makes fun and one can learn a lot about the whole bandwidth of astrophotography and image processing.
          With the new ASCOM templates I started also to write drivers for my mount, cameras, cfw and camera simulators with starfield generation for daylight testing.
          And the best is, I can not make anyone else responsible for lost nights, except myself.

          Hartmut

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17 8:55 AM
            Hartmut,

            Have you got an example camera script or vbs file?

            I seem to be having difficulty storing a fits image..

            Regards,

            John M

            It makes fun and one can learn a lot about the whole bandwidth of astrophotography and image processing.
            With the new ASCOM templates I started also to write drivers for my mount, cameras, cfw and camera simulators with starfield generation for daylight testing.
            And the best is, I can not make anyone else responsible for lost nights, except myself.

            Hartmut

            --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Pooler" <mikepooler98@...> wrote:

            > Gentalmen
            > ACP is not the only way... But it is the best way.
            >
            > You can right VBS,,JavaScript or C# to do any and all of the things you may want to do and attch the drivers via Ascom.
            >
            > For me if I tried and do all of those things I would be old and grey before my scope would even move. I paid the $ for Bob to write the code and I never regreated it.
            > One thing to note is that ACP is open to scripts so you can build on what ACP does and customize it to your needs.
            >
            > Ok enogh with the sales pitch.
            > GO BOB !!!
            >
            > Mike Pooler
            >
            > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Long" <Tim@> wrote:
            > >
            > > What you've said is self-contradictory. It clearly _is_ possible to do all those things, because that (as you pointed out) is what ACP does. ACP is not the only automation software out there, either.
            > >
            > > What is not possible? Which part of the code are you having trouble writing?
            > >
            > > --Tim Long

          • Rosario Pomillo
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 17 9:11 AM
              Hartmut,
              we think and DO the same way!
              bye:))
              Rosario Pomillo
              www.astromaster.org

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17 1:44 PM
                John,

                my code base is VB and C# and the fits file handling alone uses several hundred lines of code. What you need is a scriptable object which does fits file creation combining header info and image data. ASCOM schould have this (and more).
                When you write VB .net, I can help.

                Hartmut

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 17 1:49 PM
                  I agree Hartmut, I always thought that image handling and processing should not have been part of the camera spec and that image interfaces should have handled that seperately. The design we have today couples camera control and image handling too tightly. However, there are plenty of FITS libraries available
                  http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_libraries.html

                  --Tim Long

                  http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=q3HKoo6B029728&from=tim@...
                  Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk