Re: iOptron ASCOM driver error can't open com port

  • Peter Simpson
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 19, 2012
      Hi John,

      Thanks, it looks like the driver is doing something but then gets stuck for some reason; I think  we are now at the point where we need some help from  iOptron. The fundamental issue may be in the Platform or in the driver, but it is manifesting itself in the driver so diagnosis needs to start there and then to follow wherever the evidence leads.

      Can you or Don raise this with iOptron support, to get some diagnosis from their perspective inside the driver?

      Regards, Peter

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "j_dwyer99" <jd_2.astro@...> wrote:

      > Hi Peter,
      >
      > iOptron does create a "debug" ASCOM .txt log file on the desktop, but
      > it does not seem to contain much information. I have no issues
      > connecting using the non-SP ASCOM 6. The only messages I see in my log
      > are:
      >
      > 02/24/12 16:06:32 Cannot set the tracking rate!
      > 02/24/12 16:11:58 Do not support get the slewing state of the telescope!
      >
      > I don't know if Don's would show anything else but t might be worth a
      > try.
      >
      > JohnD
      >
      > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Simpson" peter@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Don,
      > > I have installed the iOptron driver here and, as far as I can tell, it
      > > does not use the ASCOM Serial component at all. My serial port monitor
      > (
      > > http://www.hhdsoftware.com/serial-monitor
      > > <http://www.hhdsoftware.com/serial-monitor> ) shows that the driver
      > is
      > > accessing the serial port and sending a :V# command but it does not
      > > generate any ASCOM serial logs while doing this. Perhaps iOptron have
      > > way of turning on some debug tracing?
      > > Regards, Peter
      > > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Simpson" peter@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Don,
      > > > I appreciate that you need to get your system working again so I'll
      > > keep
      > > > this brief. The serial component hasn't changed in over a year so
      > > > would be surprised if the serial component in SP1 that is causing
      > your
      > > > issue. I've checked though your Diagnostics log and it looks fine.
      > > > Please can you:
      > > > * turn on Serial tracing (through the Diagnostics Trace menu),
      > > there
      > > > is is no need to select the serial trace debug information option as
      > > > well.
      > > > * turn on Profile tracing (through the Diagnostics Trace menu)
      > > > * Try and connect through your iOptron driver
      > > > * post the resulting serial and profile logs here.
      > > > Hopefully this will give further information on what is happening
      > and
      > > if
      > > > there is a Platform issue, will help others by helping us to fix it.
      > > > Thanks, Peter

      > port
      > > > test and it shows com 3 opened OK. Also all tested passed.

      > least
      > > > get my iOptron mount communicating via the serial port?

> [...]
    • donboysail
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 19, 2012
        Issue resolved. Bad serial cable. Thanks for all the help and the time spent.

        Don

      • Peter Simpson
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
          Hi Don,

          Thanks for letting us know, I'm glad you are back up and working now and that it didn't turn out to be a Platform issue; you did have me worried for a while!

          Regards, Peter

        • Peter Simpson
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
            Hi John,

            Given that Don's issue turned out to be a serial cable fault and that SP1 is working OK with the iOptron driver, is it possible that something similar applies in your case? Did anything else at all change besides the upgrade to SP1?

            Regards, Peter

          • j_dwyer99
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
              Hi Peter,

              I don't have a problem with mine. You had asked if iOptron created any
              type of ASCOM log with their driver. I just thought I would mention
              where it was.

            • Peter Simpson
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 20, 2012
                Hi John,

                Thanks, I misunderstood and thought there were actually two issues, looks like we are now done!